Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boss Gets 30 Years
Nov 26, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Brazil's Ex-Olympic Boss Gets 30 Years
Former Rio governor among others sentenced to jail for corruption
- Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics. The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday, per the AP...
Tourists Accused of Trying to
Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Feb 19, 2021 7:12 AM CST
Tourists Accused of Trying to Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Louisiana couple didn't have negative COVID tests
- If you're interested in visiting the Aloha State, you'll have to be OK with a 10-day quarantine when you first arrive, unless you've got COVID test results in hand confirming you tested negative within the past 72 hours. Two tourists allegedly thought they could get around those...
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New
Evidence in Loughlin Case
Feb 27, 2020 7:40 AM CST
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New Evidence in Loughlin Case
Notes turned over by prosecution prove her innocence, defense team says
- Lawyers for
actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, said Wednesday that new evidence shows the couple is innocent of charges that they bribed their daughters' way into the University of Southern California. An attorney for the couple said in a legal filing that prosecutors...
In Israel, an Unwanted
First for Netanyahu
Nov 21, 2019 11:00 AM CST
In Israel, an Unwanted First for Netanyahu
He's charged with corruption, the first sitting prime minister to face criminal charges
- Israel’s attorney general on Thursday formally charged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a series of corruption cases, throwing the country’s paralyzed political system into further disarray and threatening the longtime leader's grip on power, per the AP . Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit charged Netanyahu with fraud, breach of...
Nov 14, 2019 9:40 AM CST
In College Admissions Brouhaha, the Longest Sentence Yet
Toby MacFarlane gets 6 months behind bars in California
- Felicity Huffman has served her time , Lori Loughlin awaits her own fate, and an ex-California real estate executive has been hit with the longest prison sentence yet in the college admissions scandal . Per NBC News , six months behind bars was the sentence given Wednesday to Toby MacFarlane, 56, who was...
Amazon: Workers Taking
Bribes From Desperate Sellers
Sep 17, 2018 8:12 AM CDT
Amazon: Workers Taking Bribes From Desperate Sellers
Amazon employees, mainly in China, are offering data in exchange for money, sources say
- To best hawk a product on Amazon, third-party sellers hope for a coveted spot on the site's first page of search results, a ranking that's boosted by positive reviews. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
those rankings could be affected by "illicit transactions" between sellers and Amazon...
Collins on Effort
to Sway Vote
Sep 13, 2018 12:10 PM CDT
Collins on Effort to Sway Vote on Kavanaugh: It's Bribery
Watchdog group wants DOJ to investigate groups crowdfunding to pressure Maine senator
- More than $1.2 million has been raised to help convince Sen. Susan Collins she shouldn't cast her vote for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, but the Maine pol isn't exactly motivated by the cash influx. Mainers for Accountable Leadership, the Maine People's Alliance, and a group...
FBI Accuses 4 College
Coaches of Taking Bribes
Sep 26, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
FBI Accuses 4 College Coaches of Taking Bribes
Adidas marketing exec also implicated
- The director of global sports marketing for Adidas is among those charged in a bribe-paying scheme that federal authorities say was designed to match agents and advisers to players before they became NBA stars. James Gatto was arrested Tuesday along with nine others, including four assistant basketball coaches from the...
Oct 6, 2015 11:26 AM CDT
Ex-UN Head Took $1M in Bribes: Prosecutors
Ex-General Assembly chief John Ashe accused of cashing in on Chinese mogul
- A former UN General Assembly president was arrested Tuesday and charged with accepting over $1 million in bribes and a trip to New Orleans from a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople to pave the way for lucrative investments. John Ashe, the UN ambassador from Antigua and Barbuda...
1 in 4 Humans
Paid a Bribe
Jul 10, 2013 8:44 AM CDT
1 in 4 Humans Paid a Bribe Last Year
Global corruption survey finds widespread bribery
- Roughly 27% of people worldwide have paid a bribe to a government agency in the last 12 months, according to the latest Global Corruption Barometer report from Transparency International. The survey covered more than 114,000 people across 107 countries, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, and on the bright side,...
Informant: I Bribed
FBI Agent With
Cash, Cars, Shoes
May 29, 2013 2:20 PM CDT
Informant: I Bribed FBI Agent With Cash, Cars, Shoes
Man indicted in Atlanta rapper murder says payoffs didn't help him
- A former Russian mobster and FBI informant indicted in the murder of Atlanta rapper Lil Phat says his FBI handler asked for and got bribes during the time he was under investigation for the killing. His lawyer also says that despite gifting the agent with $3,500 in cash, as...
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.