Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
gay conversion therapy
Utah Now One of Most Conservative States With This Ban
It's the 19th state to ban conversion therapy
- The discredited practice of conversion therapy for LGBTQ children is now banned in Utah, making it the 19th state and one of the most conservative to prohibit it. Conversion therapy is a practice used to try to change sexual orientation or gender identity, and many people who have been through...
Mormon Church Not Happy Utah Plans to Ban Conversion Therapy
LDS church wants pending state regulation on minors amended
- A state regulation is pending in Utah that would prohibit psychologists from using gay conversion therapy on minors—and on Tuesday night, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement announcing its opposition to the ban. "We teach the right of individuals to self-determination and the...
Conversion Therapy Leader: 'I WAS WRONG!'
McKrae Game asks for forgiveness
- McKrae Game came out as gay in June, but his sexual orientation is getting fresh attention, reports the Hill . That's because Game founded and led one of the biggest conversion therapy programs in America until Hope for Wholeness' board fired him in 2017. The program is based in South...
He Practiced 'Gay Conversion' Therapy. Now, a Change
David Matheson comes out
- A leading "conversion therapy" practitioner has come out as gay—yet refuses to condemn the practice that's been banned in 15 states and denounced by most major US health associations, NBC News reports. David Matheson, a Utah-based Mormon, revealed his orientation Tuesday on Facebook after being outed by...
$82K Raised for Gay Teen's Tuition After Parents Spurn Him
Seth Owen, co-valedictorian of his senior class, got in to Georgetown, couldn't afford to go
- Seth Owen was over the moon when he received what appeared to be the path to his "life goal" of going to college: an acceptance letter from Georgetown University. But the Florida 18-year-old, who was the co-valedictorian of his senior class, had his hopes dashed when he later received...
Toronto Therapist Had Sex With Male Patients
Melvyn Iscove will likely lose his license
- A Toronto psychiatrist who considered homosexuality a "disorder" also had sex with male patients in his office—and will likely lose his license over it,
reports. Melvyn Iscove, 72, has been found guilty of sexually abusing two men who came to him in the 1990s and early 2000s....
BuzzFeed's Piece on HGTV's 'Fixer Uppers' Decried
Kate Arthur took a look at the church Chip, Jo Gaines attend
- What HGTV superstars Chip and Joanna Gaines think about same-sex marriage is unclear. Whether they'd bring their
skills to a gay couple is also unclear— BuzzFeed tried to get an answer on the question from the couple's reps and couldn't. So Kate Arthur came at...
Obama: Stop Trying to 'Convert' Gay Youth
White House backs ban on conversion therapy
- Therapies that try to "cure" gay or transgender young people are wrong and harmful, and President Obama supports banning them, the White House says. In a statement released in response to a WhiteHouse.gov petition to ban so-called gay conversion therapies, Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett says the administration shares...
Texas GOP Backs Gay 'Reparative Therapy'
Other states' bans on conversion treatment a 'freedom issue'
- Texas Republicans are officially in favor of "treatment" to turn gay people straight. "We recognize the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle," the party says in its newly approved platform. New...
Christie Sued Over Ban on Gay Conversion Therapy
Couple wants counselor to turn gay son straight
- Chris Christie is expected to easily win a second term as New Jersey governor today, but he'll have a fresh lawsuit waiting when he gets back to his desk. A couple is suing the governor for signing a law that bans therapists from trying to turn gay teens straight...
NJ Ban: Therapists Can't Try to Turn Gay Teens Straight
Joins California as 2nd state to outlaw 'gay conversion therapy'
- Chris Christie may not have done much bill-signing on Friday, but the same can't be said for today. The AP reports that the governor is set to sign a bill that will prevent licensed therapists from trying to turn gay teens straight. New Jersey will join California as the...
NJ Looks to Ban Gay Conversion Therapy
Would join California as only states to do so
- California may soon have an ally in its battle against anti-gay psychological therapy. The New Jersey Assembly voted 56-14 yesterday to ban licensed therapists and social workers from pushing gay and lesbian young people to alter their sexuality, Reuters reports. The state Senate is likely to approve the measure Thursday....
Popular on Newser
Pastor to Trump: 'the Lord' Told Me Who Will Win
First-Grade Remote Class Turns Absolutely Horrifying
Feds to Execute a Woman for First Time Since 1953
One Emerging Factor May Help Trump's Chances
Senator's Treatment of Name 'Kamala' Gives Boost to Rival
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.