Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Defense Lawyer's Remark on
Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
Nov 23, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Defense Lawyer's Remark on Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
'Beyond rude,' is how Arbery's mother characterized Laura Hogue's comment
- The trial over the shooting death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery continues, and on Monday, one of the defense attorneys found herself taking heat for a comment she made about Arbery's appearance. Per 11Alive , Laura Hogue, who's representing Gregory McMichael, stood up during closing arguments and insisted that what...
These Are the Jobs Your
Partner Wishes You Had
Aug 19, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
These Are the Jobs Your Partner Wishes You Had
Zippia lists most, least attractive jobs for a partner from the perspective of men and women
- Working in health care probably doesn't feel all that sexy during a pandemic. But it does look that way in a new survey. Zippia asked 1,000 workers about what common jobs they thought were most attractive for a romantic partner out of a list of 250, and the...
Before His Death, Lawyer
Admits to Whopping Court Lie
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Before His Death, Lawyer Admits to Whopping Court Lie
2 men were exonerated in abduction of Seagram heir, but it appears they shouldn't have been
- It was a sensational case, and it appeared to be a slam dunk for prosecutors. Back in 1975, two men in Brooklyn were arrested and charged with kidnapping 21-year-old Samuel Bronfman, an heir to the Seagram Company fortune. The two suspects, Irish immigrants named Mel Lynch and Dominic Byrne, confessed,...
In Spears' Bid to Dump
Conservatorship, a New Name
Jul 12, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
In Spears' Bid to Dump Conservatorship, a New Name
Ex-federal prosecutor Mathew Rosengart is said to be gearing up to represent the singer
- Britney Spears' court-appointed attorney wants out of his job , but the singer already seems to have new counsel lined up. A source tells the
New York Times
that prominent celebrity lawyer Mathew S. Rosengart looks to be Spears' choice to represent her as she fights to cut dad Jamie Spears'...
Weeks Before Trial,
R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Jun 8, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Weeks Before Trial, R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Remaining attorneys say singer actually fired them
- R. Kelly is to face trial in federal court in New York this August for allegedly abusing various women and girls over 25 years. But whether the trial will go ahead is now unclear, with a report suggesting the singer has fired his two lead attorneys. In a statement to...
Lawyer Who Scammed Major
Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
May 6, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Lawyer Who Scammed Major Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
Attorney James Morris Balagia sentenced to 15-plus years in prison for defrauding drug traffickers
- A Texas attorney who specialized in representing clients facing charges of drug possession and driving while intoxicated is now seeing the culmination of his own legal troubles. The
New York Times
reports that on Monday, James Morris Balagia, known as the "DWI Dude," was sentenced to more than...
Jamie Spears' Lawyer:
He 'Rescued' Britney
Feb 26, 2021 8:54 AM CST
Jamie Spears' Lawyer: He 'Rescued' Britney
Attorney appears on 'GMA' to push back on narrative of Jamie as a 'villain' in conservatorship
- Britney Spears wrested the tiniest bit of control away from her dad, Jamie Spears, at a court hearing earlier this month on her conservatorship, with a judge ruling that the singer's father must share conservator duties with Bessemer Trust. Combined with a recent documentary about the 39-year-old pop star...
Vandals Go After Home of
Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Feb 15, 2021 7:57 AM CST
Vandals Go After Home of Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Driveway of Michael van der Veen's Philly residence spray-painted with the word 'TRAITOR'
- Former President Trump's impeachment trial is over , but not for one of his defense attorneys, who says he's been the target of harassment, intimidation, and vandalism since taking on Trump as a client. "My home was attacked," van der Veen said Saturday, per a pool report...
Lawyer Gets Stuck in
Cat Mode During Zoom Hearing
Feb 9, 2021 5:42 PM CST
Lawyer Gets Stuck in Cat Mode During Zoom Hearing
'I'm here live. I'm not a cat'
- A West Texas judge has a word of caution to those attending court hearings via Zoom: Always check for filters before logging on. Judge Roy Ferguson's warning comes after an attorney accidentally joined a video court hearing while using a Zoom filter that made him appear like a fluffy...
Prosecutors Raise Concerns
About Rittenhouse Fundraising
Dec 4, 2020 6:42 AM CST
Prosecutors Raise Concerns About Rittenhouse Fundraising
Controversial Los Angeles lawyer steps back from teen's criminal case
- A lawyer for Kyle Rittenhouse stepped back from the teenager's criminal case Thursday after prosecutors said ethical concerns made him unfit for the trial team. Kenosha County Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger said in a motion filed Thursday that Los Angeles-based lawyer John Pierce has "significant personal financial...
'Taken Out at
Dawn and Shot'
Dec 1, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Trump Lawyer Wants Krebs 'Taken Out at Dawn and Shot'
Remarks calling for Chris Krebs to be 'shot' made Monday by Trump campaign lawyer Joe diGenova
- A Trump campaign lawyer made plain on
The Howie Carr Show
on Monday that he's not a fan of Chris Krebs, the cybersecurity chief fired by President Trump last month after vouching for the security of the 2020 election. Joe diGenova promoted unproven conspiracy theories regarding the election, but...
'Scorned' Man Takes
$1M Case to Court
Nov 18, 2020 4:57 PM CST
'Scorned' Man Takes $1M Case to Court
Dongdong Huang claimed Peipei Li tricked him into showering her with cash
- A Vancouver lawyer must be licking his wounds after taking his scorned-love case to court and losing big time, the CBC reports. Dongdong Huang claimed Peipei Li duped him into thinking they were in love and marriage-bound so he would lavish her with over $1 million in gifts and cash—...
NFL Player's Charges Dropped,
Accusers' Lawyer Is Arrested
Nov 17, 2020 4:15 PM CST
NFL Player's Charges Dropped, Accusers' Lawyer Is Arrested
Prosecutors say William Dean offered to make accusations go away for the right price
- Monday brought a big role reversal, with an NFL player accused of taking $70,000 in cash and jewelry from four men at a Florida cookout in May seeing the charges against him dropped—and the men's lawyer arrested, charged with trying to extort $800,000 from former New...
Biggest Lottery Winner in US
Was Swindled: Prosecutors
Aug 19, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Biggest Lottery Winner in US Was Swindled: Prosecutors
'Lottery Lawyer' Jason Kurland charged in $107M fraud
- The "Lottery Lawyer" advertised his services while noting that many lottery winners "are not sophisticated enough" to see potential scams. "You really have to rely on the professionals," Jason Kurland told
in 2016. Now three winners who relied on Kurland have lost more than $80...
Made a Big
May 22, 2020 12:32 PM CDT
Tara Reade's Attorney Just Made a Big Announcement
Douglas Wigdor is dropping Biden accuser as his client, but he's offering few details
- The attorney working with Tara Reade, the former Joe Biden Senate staffer who alleged he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s, said Friday he's no longer representing her, just two weeks after he first began working with her. Douglas Wigdor said the decision wasn't a reflection on the...
Lawyer, the Tables
May 12, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
For George Zimmerman's Lawyer, the Tables Have Turned
Mark O'Mara is now repping slain black teen Adrein Green
- The attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the fatal 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., now has the opposite case. Mark O'Mara is representing the family of a black teen who was fatally shot before 2am on May 5 as he allegedly attempted to burglarize a vehicle,...
The 'Grim Reaper'
Appears on TV News
May 2, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
The 'Grim Reaper' Appears on TV News
It's really Florida lawyer Daniel Uhlfelder, who has made waves before
- A Florida news report took an unexpected turn Friday when the Grim Reaper appeared and took hold of the microphone, ABC7 reports. Actually, reporter Faith Graham handed him the mic during her report on re-opened beaches in Walton County. "I'm here today to try to make a point...
Weinstein Lawyer Stirs Up
Trouble With Interview
Feb 8, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Weinstein Lawyer Stirs Up Trouble With Interview
Donna Rotunno says she would never put herself 'in any vulnerable circumstance ever'
- Harvey Weinstein's defense lawyer has kicked up a hornet's nest by saying she "would never put herself" in the position of being sexually assaulted, the
New York Post
reports. "I have not because I would never put myself in that position," Donna Rotunno told
$65M to Trump
Jan 31, 2020 8:00 AM CST
Charities Steered $65M to Trump Lawyer and His Family: Report
Jay Sekulow might be blurring the lines between profit and charity
- Jay Sekulow, one of President Trump’s lead attorneys during the impeachment trial, is being paid for his legal work through a rented $80-a-month mailbox a block away from the White House. The Pennsylvania Avenue box appears to be the sole physical location of the Constitutional Litigation and Advocacy Group,...
Gun Goes Off In Court,
Killing Female Lawyer
Nov 20, 2019 5:20 PM CST
Gun Goes Off In Court, Killing Female Lawyer
Addelaid Ferreira-Watt was shot in the hip
- Addelaid Ferreira-Watt was doing her job when a shotgun accidentally went off and killed her—leaving friends and family in a state of shock,
reports. The South African lawyer was shot in the hip Monday when the weapon, entered in court as evidence, fell to the floor and discharged....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Focus Returns to a Maskless Justice Gorsuch
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.