Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Russia Started This':
Nov 24, 2023 6:02 AM CST
'Russia Started This': Finland Closes Border Crossings
Country of 5.6M accuses Russia of sending migrants without visas to its borders
- Finland says Russia is sending hundreds of migrants from African and Middle Eastern countries across its border illegally and has closed all but one border crossing in response. Finland closed four of eight land border crossings last week, but reported "organized" crossings had continued and expanded north. It now...
Border Agents Can't Touch
Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Oct 31, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Border Agents Can't Touch Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Temporary order includes exemption for cases likely to result in serious injury or death
- Texas won a temporary victory over the federal government Monday as a federal judge blocked Border Patrol agents from cutting through the state's barbed wire fence along the Rio Grande, meant to deter migrants from crossing into the US. Texas has spent $11 million to buy more than 70,...
'Acute' Need at Border
Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Oct 5, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
'Acute' Need at Border Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Administration waives 26 federal laws to clear way for new wall construction in Texas
- Three years ago, Joe Biden vowed that, if elected, he'd never erect a single new section of border wall between the United States and Mexico. Now, President Biden has rethought that, due to an "acute" need to keep illegal immigration at bay. The AP reports the commander in...
Now Elon Musk Is
Weighing in on Migrants
Sep 29, 2023 11:17 AM CDT
Now Elon Musk Is Weighing in on Migrants
Billionaire calls for 'greatly expanded legal immigration' during visit to southern border
- Elon Musk has a foot in many industries. Now, he's dipping a toe in the immigration debate, offering his suggestions for how to address an influx of migrants reaching the US across the Rio Grande. The billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla and owner of X traveled to the...
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Judge Again Rules
DACA Is Illegal
Sep 13, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
Judge Again Rules DACA Is Illegal
Decision doesn't shut down program but probably sends it back to the Supreme Court
- The federal program that has prevented the deportation of hundreds of thousands of undocumented young adults has been ruled illegal again, a decision that could send DACA to the US Supreme Court for the third time. In ruling that President Barack Obama exceeded his authority when he created the Deferred...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
Florida Sued Over
New Immigration Law
Jul 17, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Florida Sued Over New Immigration Law
SB 1718 makes it a felony to transport undocumented immigrants across state lines
- Florida is being sued in federal court over a new immigration law that plaintiffs say could lead to "unlawful arrest, prosecution, and harassment." Senate Bill 1718, which was signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis in May and took effect on July 1, makes it a felony to knowingly transport...
Jul 7, 2023 5:06 PM CDT
Immigration Clash Brings Down Dutch Government
Parties in Mark Rutte's coalition can't agree on steps to limit number of people seeking asylum
- Mark Rutte, the Netherlands' longest-serving prime minister, announced his resignation, and that of his Cabinet members, on Friday. His ruling coalition was undone by its inability to reach agreement on how to limit the number of immigrants seeking asylum in the country,
the New York Times
reports. "It is...
SCOTUS Gives White House
a Big Win on Immigration
Jun 23, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
SCOTUS Gives White House a Big Win on Immigration
Justices say GOP-led states lacked standing to sue over who should get deported
- The Supreme Court on Friday rejected a Republican-led challenge to a Biden administration policy that prioritizes the deportation of immigrants who are deemed to pose the greatest risk to public safety. The justices voted 8-1 to allow the long-blocked policy to take effect, recognizing there is not enough money or...
Newsom Threatens DeSantis
After 'Immoral' Migrant Move
Jun 6, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Newsom Threatens DeSantis After 'Immoral' Migrant Move
More migrants allegedly sent by Sunshine State dropped off in Sacramento
- After 16 South American migrants were allegedly sent from Florida to California on Friday, California officials say Florida did the same thing with a group of 20 migrants Monday. In response, California Gov. Gavin Newsom appeared to threaten DeSantis, whom he called a "small, pathetic man," with kidnapping...
Puppet Aims to
Stir Empathy in US
May 31, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Traveling 12-Foot Puppet Aims to Stir Empathy in US
'Little Amal,' puppet of Syrian refugee, will trek from Boston to San Diego to raise migration awareness
- Little Amal, a 12-foot puppet of a Syrian refugee, will journey across the United States this fall, visiting key places in America's history to raise awareness about immigration and migration. The puppet of the 10-year-old girl will visit the US Capitol, Boston Common, Joshua Tree National Park, and the...
Unanimous SCOTUS Ruling
Is a Win for Trans Immigrant
May 12, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Unanimous SCOTUS Ruling Is a Win for Trans Immigrant
Estrella Santos-Zacaria gets another chance to fight deportation to Guatemala
- The Supreme Court ruled Thursday in favor of a transgender Guatemalan woman who is fighting deportation on the grounds that she would face persecution if returned to her native country. The court's unanimous decision in favor of Estrella Santos-Zacaria gives her another chance to argue that immigration officials were...
What the End of Title 42 Means
May 12, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
What the End of Title 42 Means
US is trying to discourage migrants from crossing illegally
- The US is putting new restrictions into place at its southern border to try to stop migrants from crossing illegally and encourage them instead to apply for asylum online through a new process. The changes come with the end of Title 42 coronavirus restrictions on asylum that have allowed the...
In Hungary, Pope Maintains
Neutrality on War in Ukraine
Apr 29, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
In Hungary, Pope Maintains Neutrality on War in Ukraine
Francis meets with refugees as well as Russian church envoy
- Pope Francis plunged into both sides of Russia's war against Ukraine on Saturday, greeting some of the 2.5 million Ukrainian refugees who fled across the border to Hungary during a public prayer service and then meeting privately with an envoy of the Russian Orthodox Church that has strongly...
Border Wall's Height Leads
to 'Unnecessary' Horrors
Apr 18, 2023 1:32 PM CDT
Border Wall's Height Leads to 'Unnecessary' Horrors
Neurological surgery resident warns of rise in traumatic injuries, economic costs
- Changes made to the US-Mexico border wall under the Trump administration aren't stopping people from scaling it, but they're resulting in "unnecessary human suffering" that's not only horrifying but also putting more burden on hospitals and government coffers, according to Alexander Tenorio, a neurological surgery resident...
Report: Biden Is Considering
Detaining Migrant Families
Mar 7, 2023 5:07 PM CST
Report: Biden Is Considering Detaining Migrant Families
Border move would be a major reversal
- The Biden administration is considering detaining migrant families who cross into the US illegally as it prepares to end COVID-19 restrictions at the US-Mexico border, according to US officials familiar with the plans. That would be a major reversal after officials in late 2021 stopped holding families in detention facilities....
Biden: 'Do Not Just
Show Up at the Border'
Jan 5, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Biden: 'Do Not Just Show Up at the Border'
President tightens rules while setting legal path for migrants from 4 nations
- President Biden said Thursday the US would immediately begin turning away Cubans, Haitians, and Nicaraguans who cross the border from Mexico illegally, his boldest move yet to confront the arrivals of migrants that have spiraled since he took office two years ago. The new rules expand on an existing effort...
NC State Announcer Suspended
Over 'Illegal Aliens' Line
Jan 1, 2023 8:30 AM CST
NC State Announcer Suspended Over 'Illegal Aliens' Line
Gary Hahn was referring to the situation in El Paso, Texas
- A longtime radio broadcaster for North Carolina State is in hot water after a reference to "illegal aliens" in Texas, reports the
. Gary Hahn has been suspended indefinitely for the remark on Friday. While doing play-by-play for the school's football game, Hahn paused for a routine matter:...
Border Policy in
Dec 27, 2022 5:00 PM CST
SCOTUS Leaves Border Policy in Place Indefinitely
Court extends pandemic-era limits
- The Supreme Court is keeping pandemic-era limits on immigration in place indefinitely, dashing hopes of immigration advocates who had been anticipating their end this week. In a ruling Tuesday, the Supreme Court extended a temporary stay that Chief Justice John Roberts issued last week. Under the court’s order, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.