Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For NASA's Space Telescope,
'a Real Wow Moment'
Feb 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
For NASA's Space Telescope, 'a Real Wow Moment'
James Webb Space Telescope captures its first starlight, plus a selfie
- NASA's new space telescope has captured its first starlight and even taken a selfie of its giant gold mirror. All 18 segments of the primary mirror on the James Webb Space Telescope seem to be working properly one and a half months into the mission, officials said Friday, per...
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
Alleged Capitol Rioter Sent
Selfie to the Wrong Person
Jan 20, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Alleged Capitol Rioter Sent Selfie to the Wrong Person
The recipient, a State Department agent, was the brother of the man's girlfriend
- A retired New York City firefighter once accused of hurling racist abuse has been detained after allegedly sending a Jan. 6 photo of himself inside the Capitol Rotunda to his girlfriend's brother, who happens to be a State Department agent. In the midst of the riot, an unnamed Diplomatic...
In Age of COVID, a
New Term Is Coined
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2021 4:15 PM CST
In Age of COVID, a New Term Is Coined
People are posting their 'vaxxies' on social media
- It's been a year full of grief and loss, and one in which taking selfies has seemed indulgent. Now, however, with hope on the horizon in the form of the COVID-19 vaccines now rolling out, the selfie has reemerged in a new form, with a new label: the "...
Mom Falls to Death
at 'Perfect Selfie' Spot
Dec 14, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Mom Falls to Death at 'Perfect Selfie' Spot
Rosy Loomba climbed past safety barriers, warning signs at Australian national park, police say
- A weekend family outing turned tragic after a mom plummeted to her death off a cliff in front of her husband and two young sons while trying to take a photo. News.com.au reports that 38-year-old Rosy Loomba was hiking with her family Saturday in Grampians National Park, in...
Woman Shooting Snapchat
Video Falls Out Into Traffic
Sep 20, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Shooting Snapchat Video Falls Out Into Traffic
You know how police feel when they tweet, "#nowords"
- A woman gave freeway drivers a little surprise Saturday when she spilled out of a moving car while shooting a Snapchat video—right into the next lane, the
reports. British police said her misadventure began at about 1:30am as she hung out of the front passenger door on...
Sep 15, 2020 6:23 AM CDT
Chris Evans Reacts to Accidental Nude Selfie
Actor urges fans to 'VOTE'
- Chris Evans is hoping to use all this newfound attention for good—by urging people to vote. "Now that I have your attention," the
star tweeted late Monday, alongside face-palm and shrug emojis, adding "VOTE Nov 3rd!!!" The tweet was liked more than 719,...
Apple Wins Patent for
'Virtual Group Selfies'
Jun 10, 2020 7:45 PM CDT
Apple Wins Patent for 'Virtual Group Selfies'
Application was filed long before pandemic
- Want to take a selfie with your friends, but your friends are all under stay-at-home orders? Apple filed a patent for software that would make that possible a long time before the pandemic, the Verge reports. The patent application for virtual group selfies, filed in 2018, was one of 57...
Tourist in Hawaii
May 16, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Tourist in Hawaii Arrested After Posting Selfies
NYC's Tarique Peters didn't quarantine himself for 14 days when he got to Oahu, as required
- As the Daily Beast puts it, "Hawaii is not messing around" when it comes to tourists in the age of COVID-19. A 23-year-old New York City man found that out the hard way after he flouted the state's 14-day lockdown requirement for anyone coming in from outside of...
Babysitter Shot Nephew
While 'Taking Selfies': Cops
Feb 27, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Babysitter Shot Nephew While 'Taking Selfies': Cops
Caitlyn Smith, 19, charged with injury to a child in Texas
- A babysitter was taking selfies with a gun on Tuesday when she accidentally shot her 10-year-old nephew in the stomach, according to authorities in Texas. The boy was being watched by the 19-year-old at an apartment in Houston and was rushed to a hospital in critical condition, per CNN , which...
As a House Burned, Firefighters
Posed for a New Year's Selfie
Jan 2, 2020 5:30 PM CST
As a House Burned, Firefighters Posed for a New Year's Selfie
Crews may face discipline for 'despicable' celebration
- Firefighters took a moment from their work on New Year's Eve to pose for a celebratory selfie in front of a Detroit house being consumed by flames. The Facebook post caught the attention of the city's fire commissioner, among others, reports
, which posted the photo. A...
'Church of Bones' Has
Issue With Our Selfie Habits
Oct 16, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
'Church of Bones' Has Issue With Our Selfie Habits
And it has spurred a photo-policy change
- The Sedlec Ossuary chapel is adorned with signs asking guests to be respectful. But it's also adorned with bones from more than 40,000 skeletons, which have apparently proved to be too hard to resist in our Instagram age. CNN reports the chapel, located in the Czech Republic town...
They Were Trying to Take a
Selfie, but 4 Ended Up Dead
Oct 8, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
They Were Trying to Take a Selfie, but 4 Ended Up Dead
Teen slips underwater, dragging relatives with him
- A horrifying story out of India, where family members trying to take a selfie at a dam ended up slipping into the water, resulting in four deaths. The dead include a 20-year-old newlywed bride and three of her relatives (different outlets report different ages). Her new husband, 25, survived and...
Sep 27, 2019 3:55 PM CDT
Selfie Holds Up UN Speech
Salvadoran president talks technology after a demonstration
- For the 38-year-old president of El Salvador, his first speech to the UN was a big deal. Nayib Bukele's wife, Gabriela, was there to hear it, as was their infant daughter, Layla. So Bukele pulled out his smartphone, asked the world's diplomats to hold on for a second,...
She Reportedly Died Taking a
Pic. That's Not What Happened
in case you missed it
Jun 8, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
She Reportedly Died Taking a Pic. That's Not What Happened
35-year-old mom was reaching for tree branch when she went over waterfall in California
- A death in California last Friday is still a tragedy, just not quite the one initially thought. Although it was reported that a 35-year-old mom—identified by the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office as Dina Espinosa, though a GoFundMe set up in her name calls her Stephanie—had fallen...
She Was Snapping
Pics of the Falls.
Then She Slipped
Jun 1, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
She Was Snapping Pics of the Falls. Then She Slipped
Officials warn others about selfies, other photos after woman dies in California
- Another death linked to a picture-taking session, this time in California. Fire officials say the body of a "young woman" was found Friday in a bay at Emerald Bay State Park, which is in South Lake Tahoe, per Fox News . "Crews from the Tahoe Truckee Regional Rescue Team...
A Man Wouldn't
Be Punished Over
a Topless Selfie,
Fired Teacher Says
Apr 4, 2019 7:09 PM CDT
A Man Wouldn't Be Punished Over a Topless Selfie, Fired Teacher Says
District says photo means she's not a good role model anymore
- When a Long Island middle school teacher was fired after a student obtained a topless photo of her, she saw it as a gender discrimination issue, the
New York Times
reports. Numerous male teachers in her district have posted shirtless photos of themselves on social media, she says, without being...
Indicted Russian Firm Rails
Against Mueller's 'Nude Selfie'
Dec 28, 2018 10:55 AM CST
Indicted Russian Firm Rails Against Mueller's 'Nude Selfie'
Concord Management and Consulting says special counsel 'collected' a naked pic in his Russia probe
- Not surprising: There are lots of nude selfies floating around. Perhaps surprising: Robert Mueller has one of them. That's the claim being made by a Russian firm indicted by Mueller over the summer on charges it helped a Russian troll farm interfere in the US 2016 elections, per the...
Selfie Clears Man of
Crime He Didn't Commit
Nov 15, 2018 2:17 PM CST
Selfie Clears Man of Crime He Didn't Commit
Texas man originally faced 99 years behind bars
- For once, a story about a selfie that helped someone rather than hurting them. A Texas man was confused when police arrested him in September of last year, telling him he was accused of breaking into an ex-girlfriend's home, attacking her, and slashing an "X" into her chest...
Another Selfie Mishap,
This One Caught on Video
Nov 7, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Another Selfie Mishap, This One Caught on Video
Artworks by Salvador Dali, Francisco Goya now need fixing in Russia
- An artwork by Salvador Dali is in need of repair after a selfie attempt gone wrong in Russia. Some women visiting Yekaterinburg's International Arts Center Main Avenue were reportedly attempting a selfie near a temporary wall showcasing two artworks—an etching by Spanish painter Francisco Goya and Dali's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.