Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Forget 'Equal Pay.'
We Need 'Pay Equity'
Nov 14, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Forget 'Equal Pay.' We Need 'Pay Equity'
New Zealand is embracing the value of women's work, writes Anna Louie Sussman
- So-called women's work—like cleaning, caring, and providing food—is usually underpaid, but "equal pay" isn't the answer. That's according to journalist Anna Louie Sussman, who argues in the
New York Times
that New Zealand's pursuit of "pay equity" makes a lot more sense....
Dictionary Changes Its
Definition of 'Woman'
Nov 8, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Dictionary Changes Its Definition of 'Woman'
But Oxford Dictionaries clings to the notion that the 'b-word' means 'woman'
- Oxford University Press has amended its dictionaries after a pressure campaign alleged "derogatory" and "sexist" definitions of the word "woman," the
reports. Among the changes to Oxford Dictionaries: A woman is now listed as "a person's wife, girlfriend, or female lover" instead of...
Sep 28, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
A Defense of Amy Coney Barrett
The left dislikes her because she embodies 'big-time motherhood and big-time religion'
- Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett is running into all kinds of criticism from the left over concerns on how she'll rule on everything from Roe v. Wade to same-sex marriage. At the conservative
comes a defense from Executive Editor Joy Pullmann. "Half of her resume consists...
The Wing, Rocked
Bids Adieu to CEO
Jun 12, 2020 10:07 AM CDT
The Wing, Rocked by Controversy, Bids Adieu to CEO
Audrey Gelman resigns from the Wing after backlash from employees
- When the Wing was launched in 2016, it was designed to be a co-working space and social club for women only. Now, CEO and co-founder Audrey Gelman has stepped down, amid accusations the startup doesn't put its feminist and racial equality ideals into practice. "The decision is the...
Ready to Talk About
Feminism: an All-Male Panel
Nov 22, 2019 5:05 PM CST
Ready to Talk About Feminism: an All-Male Panel
2 women have since been added to event in Pakistan after major pushback
- When the Arts Council of Pakistan Karachi named an upcoming event "Feminism: The Other Perspective," it soon became clear that "other perspective" was uncomfortably accurate: The panel set to meet Friday was male only. The blowback in a country already known for being overly patriarchal was instant...
The Women's March Is On
Jan 19, 2019 3:00 PM CST
The Women's March Is On
Despite political turmoil, the march is happening
- Pink "pussy hats," boisterous chanting, brazen vendors—all were on display Saturday as thousands braved icy weather for the third annual Women's March on Washington, the
reports. Some protesters walked with a banner reading "The Women's Wave Rises" while chanting "Hey hey,...
Dec 29, 2018 10:35 AM CST
Keira Knightley: Here's What 'Makes Me Feel Sick'
The 'Colette' star reveals her feelings about gender
- Keira Knightley is infusing her
promo interviews with a healthy dose of gender politics and observations—not exactly the usual celeb patter, but it jibes with the film's story. Knightley wants to explore "the masculine side of the female, stuck in the dresses and makeup," she...
Spain's New Government
Makes History in Europe
Jun 10, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Spain's New Government Makes History in Europe
The new Socialist government has the highest female-to-male ratio ever in Europe
- The government cabinet with the highest proportion of female ministers in Spanish and European history was sworn in Thursday, putting the cap on one of the fastest power transitions in Spain's four decades of democratic rule. Per the AP , the new Socialist government of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez...
Reveals Word of 2017
Dec 12, 2017 12:46 AM CST
Merriam-Webster Reveals Word of 2017
Searches for 'feminism' spiked several times
- This may or may not come as a surprise: Merriam-Webster's word of the year for 2017 is "feminism." Yes, it's been a big year or two or 100 for the word. In 2017, lookups for feminism increased 70% over 2016 on Merriam-Webster.com and spiked several...
Wants to Feel
the Bern at
Oct 13, 2017 9:47 AM CDT
Not Everyone Wants to Feel the Bern at Women's Convention
Bernie Sanders set to speak on opening day of Detroit event; some say it should be women only
- The first national convention by the organizers of the DC Women's March will be held in Detroit starting Oct. 27, but there's already a bit of turmoil over one of the scheduled speakers. The
reports that Bernie Sanders is set to make remarks on opening day...
Calls Out Cannes
May 30, 2017 4:12 PM CDT
Jessica Chastain Calls Out Cannes
For 'disturbing' representation of women in film
- Jessica Chastain was a jury member at this year's Cannes Film Festival, but that didn't mean she automatically approved of what she saw. At the final press conference when the festival closed Sunday, the actress responded with criticism when a reporter asked about the female filmmakers at the...
What to Expect During
'Day Without a Woman'
Mar 7, 2017 11:18 AM CST
What to Expect During 'Day Without a Woman'
Some schools are closing for Wednesday's protest
- International Women's Day is March 8, and coinciding with the occasion this year is another event that's prompting some schools to close for the day. BuzzFeed reports that hundreds of teachers in North Carolina and Virginia indicated they'd be absent for Wednesday's "Day Without a...
A Sally Ride Lego Figure?
Yep, and She's Not Alone
Mar 2, 2017 4:05 PM CST
A Sally Ride Lego Figure? Yep, and She's Not Alone
Maia Weinstock's 'Women of NASA' prototype has been given green light
- Mathematician Katherine Johnson was one of the women of NASA depicted in the Oscar-nominated film
, and now she's about to get her own Lego figure. Per MIT News , Johnson and four other women involved with the space agency over the years—Margaret Hamilton (computer scientist), Mae Jemison...
Bros to Basketball Fans:
'Consent Is a Slam-Dunk!'
Dec 23, 2016 6:19 PM CST
Bros to Basketball Fans: 'Consent Is a Slam-Dunk!'
Brocial Justice's feminist flyers draw attention outside Blazers games
- "Our society is often more legit for dudes, let's use that privilege to give others the alley-oop!" So reads a flyer being handed out at Portland Trail Blazers games by a group of dudes going by the name Brocial Justice. The
reports the group started passing...
Mom, Daughter Buy Tampons
and 'Smash the Patriarchy'
Sep 15, 2016 5:15 PM CDT
Mom, Daughter Buy Tampons and 'Smash the Patriarchy'
Text conversation during Walmart shopping trip goes viral
- People are singing the praises of an Arkansas mother and daughter who turned a trip to Walmart to buy tampons into an opportunity to "destroy menstruation stigma"—as per
—and—as Mashable puts it—"rip into the patriarchy."
reports Belinda Hankins...
Who Helped Defeat ERA Dies
Sep 6, 2016 1:44 AM CDT
Anti-Feminist Housewife Who Helped Defeat ERA Dies
Phyllis Schlafly was 92
- Conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly, best known for her successful campaign to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment, has died at her home in St. Louis. She was 92. The author and activist attended scores of hearings in the 1970s to testify against the amendment, arguing that equal rights would disadvantage housewives....
Miss Teen USA
Sorry for Racial Slurs
Aug 1, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Just-Crowned Miss Teen USA Sorry for Racial Slurs
Texas high school senior took to Twitter at 2am Sunday to do damage control
- Miss Teen USA 2016 was supposed to take a step in the direction of feminism and equal rights as the contest ditched the swimsuits for athletic wear . But in the wee hours following the event that crowned Miss Texas Karlie Hay, the 18-year-old high school senior took to Twitter to...
Actress's Apparent Tattoo
Causes Uproar in Iran
Jun 1, 2016 10:41 AM CDT
Actress's Apparent Tattoo Causes Uproar in Iran
Is it real? She's not saying
- Iranian social media recently was consumed by two questions: Does Taraneh Alidoosti have a tattoo, and is she a feminist? To the latter, the 32-year-old "Natalie Portman of Iran" says via tweet , "Keep calm and YES I'm a feminist." But as for the tattoo, Alidoosti is...
A 'Dads' T-Shirt Starts a Conversation on Parenting
Apr 28, 2016 11:39 AM CDT
A 'Dads' T-Shirt Starts a Conversation on Parenting
'Aww, it's so nice of you to babysit' doesn't go over well with male primary caretakers
- The message may seem so obvious as to not require stating, but a photo of a shirt that reads "Dads Don't Babysit (It's Called 'Parenting')" has sparked a larger conversation about parenting on Reddit and beyond. The man behind the shirt, Al Ferguson of The...
I Pay to Learn
Feb 27, 2016 3:38 PM CST
Emma Watson: I Pay to Learn About Sexual Pleasure
'Harry Potter' star recommends OMGYES.com
- Emma Watson is learning about things you won't find in the Hogwarts school library. The 25-year-old
star—who says she's taking a break from acting to educate herself about feminism—is learning about women's sexual pleasure from a website called OMGYES.com , reports
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.