Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
A Sleeping Giant Awakes,
With Plenty of Spectators
Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM CST
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Lava is flowing from Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano, now erupting after a 38-year sleep
- The world's largest volcano oozed rivers of glowing lava Wednesday, drawing thousands of awestruck viewers who jammed a Hawaii highway that could soon be covered by the flow. Mauna Loa awoke from its 38-year slumber Sunday, causing volcanic ash and debris to drift down from the sky. A main...
World's Largest Active Volcano
Erupts for First Time Since '84
Nov 28, 2022 8:23 AM CST
World's Largest Active Volcano Erupts for First Time Since '84
Hawaii's Mauna Loa breaks its silence
- Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano has erupted for the first time in nearly four decades, reports NBC News . The eruption at the world's largest active volcano—the first one since 1984—began about about 11:30pm Sunday, according to the US Geological Survey. So far, the eruption is contained...
Living Near Volcano
Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
Oct 28, 2022 11:38 AM CDT
Hawaii: People Living Near Volcano Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
There are ominous signs at Mauna Loa
- Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the world’s largest active volcano, Mauna Loa, is sending signals that it may erupt. Scientists say an eruption isn’t imminent, but they are on alert because of a recent spike in earthquakes at the volcano’s summit. Experts...
Hiker Makes an Odd
Discovery at Hawaii Volcano
in case you missed it
Mar 21, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Hiker Makes an Odd Discovery at Hawaii Volcano
Decades-old bombs found in Mauna Loa, part of an experiment to slow lava flow
- A hiker traipsing around Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano came across a strange find last month: two rusty, decades-old bombs, both unexploded. But as Live Science reports, the find by Kawika Singson has a logical explanation, one that goes back to the 1930s. Back then, a prominent Hawaiian volcanologist pushed...
Earth's Biggest Volcano
Might Be Waking Up
Jun 21, 2014 8:23 AM CDT
Earth's Biggest Volcano Might Be Waking Up
Something's brewing beneath Hawaii's Mauna Loa
- Ready to rumble? The world's largest volcano—Hawaii's Mauna Loa—appears to be stirring back to life after a relatively quiet 30 years, geologists say. Don't fret: It isn't about to erupt at any minute, but four separate clusters of smaller earthquakes have been reported under...
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.