Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Germany, the
Beginning of a New Era
Dec 8, 2021 6:55 AM CST
In Germany, the Beginning of a New Era
Olaf Scholz took over for Angela Merkel on Wednesday
- Olaf Scholz became Germany's ninth post-World War II chancellor Wednesday, opening a new era for the European Union's most populous nation and largest economy after Angela Merkel's 16-year tenure. Scholz's government takes office with high hopes of modernizing Germany and combating climate change but faces the...
Will Be Barred From Venues
Dec 2, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Germany's Unvaccinated Will Be Barred From Venues
Merkel says hospitals could become overrun with COVID-19 cases
- Unvaccinated people across Germany will soon be excluded from nonessential stores, restaurants, and sports and cultural venues, Chancellor Angela Merkel announced Thursday, and parliament will consider a general vaccine mandate as part of efforts to curb coronavirus infections. Merkel announced the measures after a meeting with federal and state leaders,...
Hello, Olaf Scholz
Nov 24, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Goodbye, Angela Merkel. Hello, Olaf Scholz
3 German parties reach deal on new government, with Social Democrat now at the helm as chancellor
- Three German parties have reached a deal to form a new government that will end the era of longtime Chancellor Angela Merkel, according to Olaf Scholz, who's poised to replace her. Scholz, of the center-left Social Democrats, said he expects that members of the parties will give their blessing...
By a Hair, Germans
Dump Merkel's Bloc
Sep 27, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
By a Hair, Germans Dump Merkel's Bloc
Social Democrats eke out a narrow victory in Germany's elections
Germany's center-left Social Democrats won the biggest share of the vote in a national election Sunday, narrowly beating outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel’s center-right Union bloc in a closely fought race that will determine who succeeds the long-time leader at the helm of Europe's biggest economy, the...
Sep 24, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
As Merkel Exits, German Voters Mull Big Decision
Chancellor is saying goodbye after 16 years, and a national election looms
- Germany's political parties prepared to rally their supporters and win over undecided voters Friday, two days before a national election that will determine who succeeds Chancellor Angela Merkel after 16 years in power. Merkel's center-right Union bloc, with Armin Laschet as its candidate for chancellorship, has made small...
Receding Water Uncovers
Jul 18, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Receding Water Uncovers 'Surreal' Devastation
Death toll rises in flooding, which has spread from Germany, and many survivors lack drinking water
- The waters have begun to recede in parts of Germany after historic rainfall and flooding, providing a clearer look at the extent of the damage. It's a sight that Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday is "surreal, ghostly," while in Schuld, where the Ahr river overflowed and swept...
Biden to G7:
US Will Do
Jun 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Biden to G7: US Will Do Its Part
Next up is NATO, and president says he'll offer reassurances there
- As he left Cornwall after the three-day G7 summit, President Biden talked Sunday about agreements and differences among the leaders that surfaced. But he also detailed for reporters the overall message he delivered about the change in US administrations, CNN reports. "I conveyed to each of my G7 counterparts...
COVID Variant Is Found
Mar 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'Double Mutant' COVID Variant Is Found
India analyzes samples, while Brazil sets another death record
- There's now a "double mutant" variant of the novel coronavirus spreading in India. The nation's Health Ministry said Wednesday that a double variant—two mutations in the same virus—was detected in the country, along with other variants first discovered in the UK (B.1.1.7),...
Flub on G7 Call: Angela,
'I Think You Need to Mute'
Feb 19, 2021 12:44 PM CST
Flub on G7 Call: Angela, 'I Think You Need to Mute'
British PM Boris Johnson had to inform German chancellor that everyone could hear her talking
- No one turned into a cat , appeared upside down , or made a Britney Spears reference , but world leaders attending a virtual G7 conference on Friday experienced their own low-key videoconferencing snafu. Reuters reports it came courtesy of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who inadvertently interrupted British Prime Minister Boris Johnson as...
Merkel Has Beef With
Trump's Twitter Ban
Jan 11, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Merkel Has Beef With Trump's Twitter Ban
Says freedom of opinion is a fundamental right
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel considers President Trump's eviction from Twitter by the company "problematic," her spokesman said Monday. Twitter permanently suspended Trump from the microblogging platform on Friday, citing a "risk of further incitement of violence" in the wake of the storming of the US Capitol...
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Sep 28, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Navalny Confirms a High-Profile Visitor
German chancellor Angela Merkel went to see him in the hospital
- It might be a sign of how seriously foreign leaders are taking the case of Alexei Navalny's poisoning: German Chancellor Angela Merkel paid a private visit to the Russian opposition leader while he was hospitalized in Berlin, reports the
. German media broke the news Sunday, characterizing it as...
One of These Men Nabs
'Most Influential' Cover
Sep 23, 2020 7:27 AM CDT
One of These Men Nabs
'Most Influential' Cover
Fauci. Time 100 list also features Trump, Megan Thee Stallion, and more
- President Trump will not like this : Dr. Anthony Fauci of the White House Coronavirus Task Force graces the cover of
magazine as one of the year's 100 most influential people . (There will be eight worldwide covers in all, per
.) President Trump also made the list,...
Sep 7, 2020 9:56 AM CDT
Russia's Navalny Is Out of Coma
Russian opposition leader to be gradually taken off ventilator
- Doctors in a Berlin hospital have pulled Russian Alexei Navalny, the Russian opposition leader whom German officials say was poisoned , out of an induced coma and say he's responding to verbal stimuli. Navalny is being eased off a ventilator, Sky News reports. Although they said he's improving, doctors...
Russia Wants Germany
to Show Proof of Poisoning
Sep 3, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Russia Wants Germany to Show Proof of Poisoning
Putin aide says investigators are trying to figure what happened to Alexei Navalny
- President Vladimir Putin's spokesman brushed off allegations Thursday that the Kremlin was involved in poisoning the Russian leader's most determined critic, accusing Germany of not providing Moscow with any evidence about the condition of Russian dissident Alexei Navalny. A politician and corruption investigator, Navalny fell ill on a...
After Grueling Slog,
Weary EU Leaders
OK $2.1T COVID Deal
Jul 21, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
After Grueling Slog, Weary EU Leaders OK $2.1T COVID Deal
It took 4 days and nights of negotiations in Brussels
- After four days and nights of wrangling, exhausted European Union leaders finally clinched a deal on an unprecedented $2.1 trillion budget and coronavirus recovery fund early Tuesday, after one of their longest summits ever. The 27 leaders grudgingly committed to a costly, massive aid package for those hit hardest...
Carl Bernstein Has Damning
Story on Trump Phone Calls
Jun 30, 2020 9:06 AM CDT
Carl Bernstein Has Damning Story on Trump Phone Calls
Quotes aides calling president 'delusional'
- Carl Bernstein's latest investigative story for CNN is all about President Trump's phone calls with foreign leaders, and it's one that will not make Trump happy. Bernstein writes that Trump was so regularly "outplayed" by Russia's Vladimir Putin and Turkey's Recep Erdogan and so...
Trump Postpones G7
May 31, 2020 5:32 AM CDT
Trump Postpones G7
June meeting set for Camp David postponed until at least the fall
- President Trump said Saturday that he will postpone until the fall a meeting of Group of 7 he had planned to hold next month at the White House despite the ongoing pandemic. And he said he plans to invite Russia, Australia, South Korea, and India as he again advocated for...
Germans Celebrate the Fall
of Berlin Wall, Tweaking Trump
Nov 9, 2019 1:25 PM CST
Germans Celebrate the Fall of Berlin Wall, Tweaking Trump
Pro-democracy group sends an original section to White House
- With the help of leaders from other European nations, Germany marked the fall of the Berlin Wall 30 years ago with ceremonies, reenactments and an examination of the historic event's meaning. "The Berlin Wall, ladies and gentlemen, is history, and it teaches us: No wall that keeps people...
3rd Public Bout of Shakes
Jul 10, 2019 7:56 AM CDT
Merkel Experiences 3rd Public Bout of Shakes
German chancellor visibly shook while standing at Berlin ceremony
- It's getting harder for Angela Merkel to brush off concerns over her health. The German chancellor was publicly observed shaking Wednesday for the third time in a month, though a spokesperson says the leader is "fine," per Sky News . Merkel's body shook at a ceremony in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.