Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pacific Crest Trail
CDC Solves Mystery of
Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Sep 30, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Virus often associated with cruise ships found a way to spread in the great outdoors
- Even in the great outdoors, people aren't safe from norovirus, the nasty stomach bug that plagued the popular Pacific Crest Trail last year. Now, the CDC knows why. NPR reports that a remote log cabin where backpackers stopped to use the restroom was the culprit in spreading the illness....
He Finished Legendary Trail
in 'Mind-Boggling' Time
Jul 26, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
He Finished Legendary Trail in 'Mind-Boggling' Time
- Hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail is quite an accomplishment. As
notes, only about 20% who try are successful. Hiking the 2,655-mile trail in only one season? Amazing. Doing it in 51 days? "Mind-boggling," says an official with the PCT Association. In fact, it appears to...
Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's
Trek Turns to Tragedy
Jan 31, 2021 7:20 AM CST
Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Trek Turns to Tragedy
A look at the death of 22-year-old Trevor Laher in 'Alta'
- It's difficult to know exactly how many people have died on the famed Pacific Crest Trail since it was completed in 1993, but Louise Farr at Alta estimates the figure could be as high as 20. Her story, however, focuses only on the most recent of those—the death...
2 Hikers Aim to Finish
Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Jan 18, 2021 12:16 PM CST
2 Hikers Aim to Finish Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Stanford pair hope to be youngest to hike 3 mammoth trails in one calendar year
- Two Stanford students started hiking on New Year's Day and don't plan to stop for the better part of a year—all part of their goal to become the youngest hikers to claim the "Calendar Year Triple Crown," reports the
Los Angeles Times
. In other words,...
She Couldn't Sleep at Night.
Her Worries Saved Hiker's Life
Nov 2, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
She Couldn't Sleep at Night. Her Worries Saved Hiker's Life
Nancy Abell's 911 call saves German hiker on Pacific Crest Trail
- Katharina Groene was near death—wet, dehydrated, showing signs of hypothermia, and eating a ration of one Pop-Tart per day. She was down to the last 200 miles of the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail earlier this week when she pulled out her phone and recorded an apology for those...
The Pacific Crest Trail
Is Insanely Crowded
Jun 12, 2016 3:02 PM CDT
The Pacific Crest Trail Is Insanely Crowded
Thanks to Cheryl Strayed and 'Wild'
- Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail can expect to encounter harsh-but-beautiful landscapes, extreme fatigue, and—these days, at least—traffic. "You can’t talk about the Pacific Crest Trail without mentioning the crowds," Pete Brook writes for
. He should know: Brook currently is trekking the 2,650-mile...
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.