Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pacific Crest Trail
He Finished Legendary Trail
in 'Mind-Boggling' Time
Jul 26, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
He Finished Legendary Trail in 'Mind-Boggling' Time
- Hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail is quite an accomplishment. As
notes, only about 20% who try are successful. Hiking the 2,655-mile trail in only one season? Amazing. Doing it in 51 days? "Mind-boggling," says an official with the PCT Association. In fact, it appears to...
Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's
Trek Turns to Tragedy
Jan 31, 2021 7:20 AM CST
Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Trek Turns to Tragedy
A look at the death of 22-year-old Trevor Laher in 'Alta'
- It's difficult to know exactly how many people have died on the famed Pacific Crest Trail since it was completed in 1993, but Louise Farr at Alta estimates the figure could be as high as 20. Her story, however, focuses only on the most recent of those—the death...
2 Hikers Aim to Finish
Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Jan 18, 2021 12:16 PM CST
2 Hikers Aim to Finish Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Stanford pair hope to be youngest to hike 3 mammoth trails in one calendar year
- Two Stanford students started hiking on New Year's Day and don't plan to stop for the better part of a year—all part of their goal to become the youngest hikers to claim the "Calendar Year Triple Crown," reports the
Los Angeles Times
. In other words,...
She Couldn't Sleep at Night.
Her Worries Saved Hiker's Life
Nov 2, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
She Couldn't Sleep at Night. Her Worries Saved Hiker's Life
Nancy Abell's 911 call saves German hiker on Pacific Crest Trail
- Katharina Groene was near death—wet, dehydrated, showing signs of hypothermia, and eating a ration of one Pop-Tart per day. She was down to the last 200 miles of the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail earlier this week when she pulled out her phone and recorded an apology for those...
The Pacific Crest Trail
Is Insanely Crowded
Jun 12, 2016 3:02 PM CDT
The Pacific Crest Trail Is Insanely Crowded
Thanks to Cheryl Strayed and 'Wild'
- Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail can expect to encounter harsh-but-beautiful landscapes, extreme fatigue, and—these days, at least—traffic. "You can’t talk about the Pacific Crest Trail without mentioning the crowds," Pete Brook writes for
. He should know: Brook currently is trekking the 2,650-mile...
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
US Sues Steve Wynn, Says Casino Mogul Is Agent of China
Friends Say He Was Exhausted, the Band Says Otherwise
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.