Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'I Feel Misled'
Jun 25, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
GOP senator, Dem Sen. Manchin say Kavanaugh, Gorsuch assured them this wouldn't happen
- As reaction continues to the Supreme Court's landmark decision Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade, two big names in government are expressing their unhappiness about it—partly because they feel personally bamboozled by two of the high court's conservative justices who voted with the majority. "I...
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
2 SCOTUS Justices Issue
Unusual Joint Statement
Jan 19, 2022 4:48 PM CST
2 SCOTUS Justices Issue Unusual Joint Statement
Gorsuch, Sotomayor say they're not feuding over mask-wearing
- Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Sonia Sotomayor say that while they don't always agree on the law, they're not feuding over mask-wearing. The Donald Trump appointee and the Barack Obama appointee issued an unusual joint statement Wednesday in response to an NPR story that said Sotomayor had...
to a Maskless
Jan 18, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Focus Returns to a Maskless Justice Gorsuch
He's only justice to go without one, and critics say it's insensitive to Sonia Sotomayor
- In a story about relations between justices on the Supreme Court Tuesday, veteran NPR reporter Nina Totenberg called attention to an issue that's been percolating for a while—Neil Gorsuch's decision not to wear a mask. Chief Justice John Roberts has asked all the justices to wear one...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Fallout Continues From
Gorsuch's Surprise Ruling
Jun 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Fallout Continues From Gorsuch's Surprise Ruling
Trump appointee gives landmark victory to LGBTQ employees, and evangelicals are angry
- The Supreme Court's conservative bloc split along unusual lines Monday as the court delivered landmark workplace protections to transgender and gay employees . Trump appointee Neil Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion, which was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts. Their frequent allies—Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh—dissented....
Schumer: I Shouldn't
Have Used Those Words
Mar 5, 2020 12:02 PM CST
Schumer: I Shouldn't Have Used Those Words
He clarifies criticism of court justices after rebuke from John Roberts
- Chuck Schumer isn't exactly apologizing, but he did acknowledge he used the wrong words in his strong speech about certain Supreme Court justices Wednesday. Schumer was hit with backlash from Republicans and a rare rebuke from the chief justice after saying that Trump-appointed justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch...
Schumer Accused of
Mar 5, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Schumer Accused of Threatening Justices
Remarks were condemned in a rare statement from Chief Justice John Roberts
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer "must pay a severe price" for saying two Supreme Court justice "will pay the price" if they decide to uphold restrictions on abortion, President Trump tweeted Wednesday. In a rare statement, Chief Justice John Roberts also criticized the Democrat, who said Trump appointees...
With 2 Trump Appointees,
a Big SCOTUS First
Mar 3, 2020 1:04 PM CST
With 2 Trump Appointees, a Big SCOTUS First
Supreme Court will hear first major abortion case with Gorsuch, Kavanaugh on the bench
- In 2016, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas law that required abortion providers have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. On Wednesday, arguments on a similar law out of Louisiana will be heard by the high court, but with one "major difference," per NBC News : This time...
Divided Supreme Court
OKs Lawsuit Against Apple
May 13, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Divided Supreme Court OKs Lawsuit Against Apple
iPhone users sued over the App Store
- A divided Supreme Court ruled Monday that consumers can pursue an antitrust lawsuit that claims Apple has unfairly monopolized the market for the sale of iPhone apps, the AP reports. New Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's four liberals in rejecting a plea from Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple to...
Supreme Court Sides With
Employers in Big Labor Case
May 21, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Employers in Big Labor Case
Says companies can restrict workers' ability to band together in complaints
- The Supreme Court says employers can prohibit their workers from banding together to complain about pay and conditions in the workplace. The justices ruled 5-4 Monday, with the court's conservative members in the majority, that businesses can force employees to individually use arbitration to resolve disputes, per the AP...
Gorsuch Sides With Liberal
Judges in Immigration Case
Apr 17, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
Gorsuch Sides With Liberal Judges in Immigration Case
Trump appointee agrees law is too vague to justify deportation of immigrant
- The Supreme Court said Tuesday that part of a federal law that makes it easier to deport immigrants who have been convicted of crimes is too vague to be enforced. The court's 5-4 decision—an unusual alignment in which new Justice Neil Gorsuch joined the four liberal justices—concerns...
On Big Supreme Court Case,
the Key Voice Is Silent
Feb 26, 2018 1:14 PM CST
On Big Supreme Court Case, the Key Voice Is Silent
Neil Gorsuch asks no questions during arguments on public unions
- The Supreme Court heard arguments Monday in one of the biggest cases of the term, one that could prove devastating to public-sector unions. The issue revolves around an employee for the state of Illinois who objects to having $45 a month taken out of his paycheck to support the American...
Report: Trump Spoke of
Dumping an Ungrateful Gorsuch
Dec 19, 2017 6:36 AM CST
Report: Trump Spoke of Dumping an Ungrateful Gorsuch
Was reportedly 'very upset' after hearing Supreme Court nominee had disparaged him
- Was the bloom at one point off the Neil Gorsuch rose? When President Trump first tapped the Supreme Court justice for the job earlier this year, he praised Gorsuch as being the "best" candidate for the job, and by many accounts, Gorsuch has since made good at carrying out...
Is Paying Off
Jun 27, 2017 3:28 PM CDT
Neil Gorsuch Is Paying Off for Trump
A look at what the media is saying about the newest Supreme Court justice
- Two and a half months in, how is Neil Gorsuch doing on the Supreme Court? The consensus seems to be that he's making his mark already. A sample of the coverage as the court's term ended Monday:
CNN says Gorsuch is "no ordinary junior-most justice," noting
From High Court
Apr 17, 2017 1:41 PM CDT
Gorsuch Asks First Questions From High Court Bench
It took him less than 15 minutes to make his voice heard
- Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch wasn't shy Monday about making his voice heard as he took his seat on the bench for the first time to hear arguments. The new justice took less than 15 minutes before asking questions during an employment discrimination case, the AP reports. Gorsuch and...
Neil Gorsuch Gets
3 Grunt Jobs on Court
Apr 12, 2017 5:59 PM CDT
Neil Gorsuch Gets 3 Grunt Jobs on Court
Get ready for lots of note-taking, justice
- New Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch has more than weighty legal decisions awaiting. As the junior justice, Gorsuch also has some decidedly lesser responsibilities, and three in particular have been drawing attention, reports Quartz . First, he has to take notes when the panel of nine meets privately to discuss cases,...
Gorsuch Takes Seat in Time
for Court's Biggest Case
Apr 10, 2017 11:57 AM CDT
Gorsuch Takes Seat in Time for Court's Biggest Case
An important church-state case will be argued this month
- Neil Gorsuch is now officially a member of the US Supreme Court, and the 49-year-old's impact is expected to be both immediate and long-lasting. Gorsuch officially gets to work on Monday, in time to hear important cases for the current term and to help weigh in on which cases...
Gorsuch Takes Oath as
113th Supreme Court Justice
Apr 10, 2017 8:41 AM CDT
Gorsuch Takes Oath as 113th Supreme Court Justice
He'll take one more oath in White House ceremony later Monday
- Surrounded by family and his new colleagues, Neil Gorsuch has taken the first of two oaths as he prepares to take his place as the 113th justice of the Supreme Court, reports the AP . The 49-year-old appeals court judge from Colorado is being sworn in Monday after a bruising fight...
Neil Gorsuch Confirmed
for Supreme Court
Apr 7, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
Neil Gorsuch Confirmed for Supreme Court
Senate makes it official
- Neil Gorsuch will be the next justice on the Supreme Court. The Senate made it official Friday with a confirmation vote of 54-45, reports the AP . The vote comes after Republicans invoked the controversial "nuclear option" to overcome a Democratic filibuster. Gorsuch, 49, will leave his seat on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.