Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Activists Behind 'Despicable'
Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Dec 2, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Jack Burkman, Jacob Wohl tried to suppress Black votes in 2020
- After a 2020 robocalling scheme that tried to dissuade tens of thousands of voters in multiple Midwestern states from casting their ballots by mail in that year's election, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl were hit with a $5 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission; in October, the far-right...
FCC Targets Source of
77M Robocalls Per Day
Jul 22, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
FCC Targets Source of 77M Robocalls Per Day
Orders US phone companies to block calls asking about vehicle warranties
- The FCC has ordered US phone companies to block millions of illegal robocalls advertising extended vehicle warranties, which were the largest source of consumer complaints to the FCC in each of the past two years, per CNN . More than 8 billion robocalls to US consumers since 2018 have claimed a...
Right-Wing Activists Face $5M
Fine for Election Disinformation
Aug 25, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Right-Wing Activists Face $5M Fine for Election Disinformation
FCC proposes largest ever fine for TCPA violation for Jacob Wohl, Jack Burkman
- Two conservative activists were trying to suppress minority voters in largely Democratic areas when they made more than 1,100 unlawful robocalls offering false claims about mail-in voting in the 2020 presidential election, according to the FCC , which hopes to levy its largest fine ever proposed for a robocall operation...
It's the 'Most
Ever' on Robocalls
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 5:34 PM CDT
It's the 'Most Meaningful Regulatory Action Ever' on Robocalls
FCC requiring phone providers to verify phone number before call is made
- If you've noticed a recent drop in spam calls, thank the Federal Communications Commission. As of June 30, major US phone providers must use caller ID authentication meant to block spoofed robocalls, costing Americans some $10 billion annually, and help "law enforcement track bad actors," according to...
FCC Slaps Spam Callers
With Record $225M Fine
Mar 18, 2021 3:52 AM CDT
FCC Slaps Spam Callers With Record $225M Fine
Texas-based telemarketers send out more than 1B calls
- Under a bill Congress passed in 2019, spammers can be fined up to $10,000 for a single robocall. The fine handed out to two Texas-based telemarketers Wednesday worked out to less than 5 cents per robocall, but it was still a new record for the Federal Communications Commission. The...
Dec 19, 2020 12:35 PM CST
Vaccine Scams Are Already Happening
Homeland Security agents are already chasing down fake websites
- If you're seeing coronavirus vaccine deals, look again: US officials say they're almost certainly scams. Whether by email, phone, or online, scammers are angling to take advantage of our desire for inoculation. "If you're receiving unsolicited offers for a vaccine—not one, not two, but about...
Robocalls Told Voters to
'Stay Safe, Stay Home'
Nov 4, 2020 12:05 AM CST
Robocalls Told Voters to 'Stay Safe, Stay Home'
But there were few incidents of intimidation
- The FBI says it is looking into reports of robocalls aimed at discouraging voting on Election Day—including some that told voters in Michigan they could be arrested for outstanding warrants if they went to the polls. The BBC reports that millions of voters in multiple states received calls saying,...
Political Operatives Might
Have Gone Too Far This Time
Oct 3, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Political Operatives Might Have Gone Too Far This Time
Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman are accused of masterminding 'fake' robocalls
- A pair of right-wing operatives are facing serious charges in Michigan that could put them behind bars for years, the
reports. Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman—famed for their conspiracy theories and aggressive tactics—allegedly intimidated urban voters with robocalls designed to suppress mail-in voting. The calls targeted...
Court Shuts Down Firms
Behind Millions of Robocalls
Aug 26, 2020 3:28 PM CDT
Court Shuts Down Firms Behind Millions of Robocalls
Owners are out of the robocall business for good
- You may not have heard of Nicholas and Natasha Palumbo, but chances are they're responsible for annoying you at some point. The Justice Department says the Arizona couple and two companies they own have been permanently banned from sending robocalls to any American phone numbers or providing any other...
Won't End With
Dec 31, 2019 9:15 AM CST
Robocalls Won't End With Trump's Signature
Enforcement of new law won't be easy, but free call-blocking services are coming
- An anti-robocall measure signed into law Monday by President Trump should help reduce the torrent of unwanted calls promising lower interest rates or pretending to be the IRS, though it won't make all such calls disappear, reports the AP . Under federal law, it's already illegal to fake numbers...
Robocall Crackdown Passes,
Raising Fines to $10K Per Ring
Dec 19, 2019 7:05 PM CST
Robocall Crackdown Passes, Raising Fines to $10K Per Ring
Legislation to help consumers know they're getting a spam call
- Americans have received 54 billion spam calls this year — total, though it may seem like we each got that many. That number could drop under legislation that cleared Congress on Thursday, raising potential fines for robocallers to $10,000 per call. Major carriers also will have to start using...
Major Carriers Pledge
Action on Robocalls
Aug 22, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Major Carriers Pledge Action on Robocalls
Americans are getting nearly 5B of them a month
- Major phone companies have pledged to do more to fight robocalls plaguing Americans, the country's state attorneys general say. It's the latest step from government and industry to combat the growing problem, the AP reports. Americans get nearly 5 billion automated calls from scammers, telemarketers, debt collectors, and...
FCC Makes Big Move
Jun 6, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
FCC Makes Big Move on Robocalls
Votes to give phone companies the right to block them without customer permission
- Federal regulators voted Thursday to give phone companies the right to block unwanted calls without getting customers' permission first, the AP reports. The Federal Communications Commission's move could make call-blocking widespread and help consumers dodge annoying robocalls, which have exploded into a problem that pesters Americans on the level...
Plagued by Robocalls?
Help May Be Coming
May 15, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Plagued by Robocalls? Help May Be Coming
The volume of calls is now at about 5B a month
- New measures by US regulators could help thwart some of the billions of robocalls received across America. The FCC said Wednesday that it will vote in June on whether to let wireless carriers block spam calls by default, which should mean that more spam calls are blocked. Right now, customers...
Robocalls, FCC Warns
May 5, 2019 9:59 AM CDT
Don't Return Robocalls, FCC Warns
Scam profits from toll charges
- Returning a robocall can cost money. The FCC has warned consumers not to fall for a scam involving calls that ring once. The idea is to get people to call back, UPI reports, which can incur a toll charge like the one for calling a 900 number. That profits the...
a Little Payback
Mar 28, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
Robocallers Get a Little Payback
FTC shuts down and fines 4 big operations
- The FTC took a step this week in cracking down on the widespread—and annoying—problem of illegally spamming robocalls. The agency stopped and fined four prolific robospamming operations, which had been using automatic dialers to flood customers with billions of predatory calls, reports Gizmodo . The FTC announced that Higher...
John Oliver Robocalls
FCC About Robocalls
Mar 11, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
John Oliver Robocalls FCC About Robocalls
HBO host hopes to get commissioners' attention about the problem
- John Oliver cannot understand why the FCC won't stop illegal, spammy robocalls, and he unleashed some poetic justice on his HBO show Sunday night. His staff created its own robocall message and began robocalling all five FCC commissioners, including agency chief Ajit Pai, reports Deadline . (You can see the...
Report Confirms It:
We Get a
Jan 30, 2019 2:20 PM CST
Report Confirms It: We Get a
Americans got 26.3B of them last year, up from 18B in 2017
- If it seems like you're getting a lot more robocalls than you used to—it's because you are, the
reports. A report released Tuesday by spam-monitoring service Hiya found that Americans received about 26.3 billion robocalls last year. That's an astonishing 46% increase from...
That's Not Oprah on
Georgia's 'Racist' Robocalls
Nov 6, 2018 9:25 AM CST
That's Not Oprah on Georgia's 'Racist' Robocalls
'Jesus don't like ugly,' former talk show host responds
- Oprah Winfrey shared a final message to voters with hours to go before Election Day: "Jesus don't like ugly. And we know what to do about that: Vote." The video message via Instagram came in response to what Winfrey described as "racist robocalls in my name"...
Race Just Hit
New Racist Low
Sep 2, 2018 8:11 AM CDT
Florida Gov's Race Just Hit New Racist Low
Anti-Gillum robocall backed by white supremacist group features jungle music, talk of mud huts
- Ron DeSantis swears he meant nothing racist by his "monkey this up" comment, but a new robocall in the Florida gubernatorial race definitely did: Set to the background of jungle music and screeching monkeys, the
New York Times
reports that the minute-long audio clip begins with a man saying,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.