Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,124,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
There's a New Highest-Paid Female Athlete
22-year-old tennis star Naomi Osaka sets a yearly income record: $37.4M
- Naomi Osaka has set a record that transcends tennis: The Japanese-born star collected $37.4 million in endorsements and prize money in the past year. That's more than any female athlete has ever made in 12 months, Reuters reports. Maria Sharapova had held the record until now, set in...
A Ball Boy Sold Serena's Racket for $500. Now He Regrets It
Racket busted by Williams in 2018 US Open could fetch five figures in auction
- Broken sports equipment usually turns up in the garbage, but one busted tennis racket up for auction starting Monday could end up selling for five figures. The racket that Serena Williams threw down onto the court in September 2018 during a US Open final match against Naomi Osaka is up...
Tennis Phenom's Big Move: Give Up US Citizenship
Naomi Osaka had to make a decision by age 22, per Japan's rules
- Naomi Osaka, born in Japan to a Japanese mom and Haitian-American dad , currently holds both US and Japanese citizenship. But once she turns 22 next week, Japan's nationality laws dictate she'll have to choose between the two—and the tennis star says she's going with the latter,...
World No. 1 Loses to Bencic at US Open
'I honestly didn't move well today,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka's achy left knee didn't let her serve without pain, so she didn't practice that key part of her game leading into the US Open. The knee also prevented her from covering the court and preparing for shots the way she'd like. Those weren't...
US Open Match Ends in Tears and a Hug
Champ Osaka consoles Coco Gauff after teenager's defeat
- The aftermath of Naomi Osaka's defeat of 15-year-old Coco Gauff in the third round of the US Open, played out on court and in post-match interviews, was emotional. "She was crying, she won. I was crying. Everybody was crying!" Gauff said later, the BBC reports. "I...
Naomi Osaka: As Crowd Booed, Serena Said This
US Open winner appears on the 'Ellen Show'
- During and after Naomi Osaka's high-profile US Open win over Serena Williams on Saturday, the 20-year-old didn't always know what was going on. She told the
on Wednesday that as Williams argued with chair umpire Carlos Ramos, she resisted the urge to stray from her training,...
New Wrinkle in Serena Controversy: a Cartoon
Critics see its depiction of the tennis great as racist
- Serena Williams' loss to Naomi Osaka over the weekend at the US Open continues to generate headlines beyond the world of sports. One of the buzzier stories Monday concerned a cartoon—see it here —that it appeared in the
of Australia, reports Business Insider . It depicts Williams,...
Serena Was Right: Ump Was 'a Thief'
Carlos Ramos 'couldn’t take a woman speaking sharply to him'
- Carlos Ramos, the man tasked with umpiring the women's final of the US Open between Serena Williams and Naiomi Osaka, instead "marred Osaka’s first Grand Slam title and one of Williams’s last bids for all-time greatness," and he did it "all because he couldn’...
Popular on Newser
Trump: Biden Making a Mistake on VP
Experts Paint Eyes on Cow Butts—and It Works
Cops Had to Rescue Lost Singer on His Own Property
Photo Scandal Was Only Part of Katie Hill's Awful Year
One State Cracks Down on Shoppers Angry About Masks
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.