Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Osaka Pulls Out
Before It Opens
Jun 18, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Osaka Pulls Out of Wimbledon Before It Opens
25-year-old says Achilles injury isn't healed
- For the second straight year, Naomi Osaka has decided to not play Wimbledon. She was listed among the tournament withdrawals Saturday, ESPN reports, and a leg injury was cited as the reason. "There goes my grass dreams," the 24-year-old posted on Instagram . A tweet said, "My Achilles...
It Might Be
to Leave Tennis
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 19, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
It Might Be Time for Naomi Osaka to Leave Tennis
'Washington Post' columnist says the tennis great's mental health appears to be at risk
- Tennis great Naomi Osaka has temporarily stepped away from the game more than once as she publicly grappled with the intense pressure and with depression. Her advocacy on mental health is admirable, writes Candace Buckner in the
. But an incident over the weekend suggests the 24-year-old might want...
Mar 13, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Addresses Crowd Over Heckler
Tennis star loses match, was brought to tears in Indian Wells, California
- Tennis great Naomi Osaka was clearly disturbed by a derogatory comment from a spectator Saturday night en route to a loss at a tournament in Indian Wells, California. ESPN reports that after a woman shouted, "Naomi, you s---" from the stands in the first set, a rattled Osaka stopped...
'I'm In Shock'
Nov 17, 2021 8:26 AM CST
Naomi Osaka on Missing Tennis Star: 'I'm In Shock'
Tennis world demands answers about Peng Shuai after she made sexual assault allegations
- Earlier this month, a pro women's tennis star in China lobbed sexual assault allegations on social media against an ex-government bigwig there. That post was quickly scrubbed, and since then, no one's heard publicly from Peng Shuai, leading to no shortage of concern. Among the voices demanding answers...
Isn't Sure When
Sep 4, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Tearful Osaka Isn't Sure When She'll Play Tennis Again
Saying she's dealing with issues, star plans a break after US Open upset
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka isn't sure what to do. "When I win, I don't feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad," she said after losing at the US Open on Friday night. "I don't...
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool
—and US Open Title
Sep 4, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool —and US Open Title
Defending champ lost to an 18-year-old ranked 73rd
- Naomi Osaka smacked her racket against Arthur Ashe Stadium’s court. Moments later, she chucked her equipment, sending it bouncing and skidding halfway to the net. Then came a full-on spike near the baseline, per the AP . Osaka’s game was off. Her composure was gone. By the end,...
Miss Play but
Top Money List
Aug 30, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
Osaka, Serena Miss Play but Top Money List
Endorsements help put tennis stars well ahead of other female athletes in income
- Young tennis players on their way up might want to also keep their eye on the endorsements. Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams haven't won many tournaments lately—nine between them since February—partly because they've skipped some or missed them because of injuries. But they still top the...
Ends in Tears
Aug 17, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Press Conference Ends in Tears
Agent slams 'bully' reporter who asked question on media relations
- Naomi Osaka faced one of her first press conferences since withdrawing from the French Open and Wimbledon on Monday and ended up walking away in tears. Ahead of a tournament in Cincinnati,
reporter Paul Daugherty virtually asked Osaka about her relationship with the media. "You're not...
Questions in Japan
Jul 27, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Osaka's Loss Draws Criticism, Questions in Japan
Nation's cultural diversity issues resurface after Olympics match
- Naomi Osaka's third-round loss at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday did more than defy her image as a local tennis star certain to win the gold medal. It shook Japan's notions of its racial and cultural identity, and many people let her know it, the
New York Times
Suffers Stunning Defeat
Jul 27, 2021 1:44 AM CDT
Japan's Darling Suffers Stunning Defeat
Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic beats Naomi Osaka
- The host country’s superstar is out of the Tokyo Olympics. Naomi Osaka lost to former French Open finalist Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-4 in the third round of the Tokyo tennis tournament on Tuesday, the AP reports. The second-ranked Osaka, who was born in Japan and...
In Tokyo, Osaka
Jul 23, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
In Tokyo, Osaka Celebrates 'Greatest Athletic Achievement'
Tennis star tweets gratitude after Olympics' opening ceremony
- Naomi Osaka reached new heights Friday, lighting the Olympic cauldron to launch the Tokyo Games. "Undoubtedly the greatest athletic achievement and honor I will ever have in my life," the tennis star posted on Instagram after taking part in the opening ceremony . Osaka expressed gratitude in her posts,...
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's
'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
Jul 22, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's 'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
'It's not a public service to harass a woman over her depression,' says critic
- Naomi Osaka has been focusing on her mental health ahead of her return to tennis at the Tokyo Olympics, but fans still got to see her on the covers of
, and the
swimsuit edition this month. That brought even more scrutiny on the four-time Grand...
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie
Sells Out in Hours
Jul 13, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie Sells Out in Hours
Tennis star has a doll in her likeness
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka was one of 20 or so "Sheros"—read: female heroes—gifted a Barbie doll in their own likeness in 2019 . The public was apparently eager for a Barbie of the world's highest-paid female athlete, too, as a new doll of Osaka sold out...
Got to Change
Jul 8, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Naomi Osaka: Things Have Got to Change
She suggests sick days for tennis players, press conference reforms
- "In any other line of work, you would be forgiven for taking a personal day here and there." Not so in the highest ranks of tennis, as Naomi Osaka writes following her controversial exit at the French Open. In a
essay, the Japanese-born star dealing with social...
Osaka Gives Tennis,
Journalists an Opportunity
Jun 18, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Osaka Gives Tennis, Journalists an Opportunity
Star's stance could cause a reckoning, analysts say
- By announcing she'll skip Wimbledon after already withdrawing from the French Open—even as tennis officials say they're working on the issues she raised—Naomi Osaka is making a couple of things clear. She's serious about putting her mental health first, whether the tennis bosses like it...
After French Withdrawal,
Naomi Osaka Skips Wimbledon
Jun 17, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
After French Withdrawal, Naomi Osaka Skips Wimbledon
Tennis star objects to media requirements during tournaments
- She dropped out of the French Open , and now she's skipping Wimbledon. Naomi Osaka, a four-time Grand Slam champion, “is taking some personal time with friends and family," says agent Stuart Duguid, per the AP . However, he says the native of Japan plans to compete in the...
May Not Dent
Jun 4, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Osaka's Move May Not Dent Her Earnings
Sponsors who might have dropped tennis star in the past are sticking with her
- For other tennis stars, leaving the tour for a time and quitting a major tournament in the middle might hurt their income. Corporate sponsors have been known to drop, or at least cool off on, athletes receiving negative publicity. Also, they count on their players being around deep into tournaments...
After Osaka's Surprise
Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Jun 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
After Osaka's Surprise Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, others rally to support tennis star's mental health
- Naomi Osaka's decision to withdraw from the French Open rather than face mandatory media interviews has become one of the most talked-about stories in sports, with folks speaking out on behalf of the world's second-ranked women's tennis player, who admitted to battling depression and social anxiety, and...
Osaka Quits French Open
Rather Than Do Interviews
May 31, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Osaka Quits French Open Rather Than Do Interviews
World No. 2 says she'll step away from tennis for a while
- A day after being fined $15,000 for refusing to do interviews, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open. The tennis star, ranked second in the world, made the announcement Monday in a long Twitter post, NBC reports. "The best thing for the tournament, the other players and...
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion
Over Media Stance
May 30, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion Over Media Stance
Naomi Osaka refuses interviews after French Open matches, is fined
- Naomi Osaka kept her word, and now she’s being fined. Osaka, ranked No. 2 in tennis worldwide, recently announced she wouldn’t speak to the media after matches, and French Open officials have now attached a $15,000 price tag to that. Since she’s the highest paid...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.