Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Fights to Retain Control
of Company With New Suit
Nov 3, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Trump Fights to Retain Control of Company With New Suit
He's seeking to block watchdog review of Trump Organization's financial dealings
- Former President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing New York Attorney General Letitia James of breaking the law while waging a "war of intimidation and harassment" against him. James, who's up for reelection, sued Trump, his children, and the Trump Organization for $250 million in September , alleging...
Trump Forms New Company,
Bringing Action From New York
Oct 13, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Trump Forms New Company, Bringing Action From New York
James raises possibility Trump Organization II was started to avoid punishment from fraud suit
- Donald Trump's business operation was hit with a new accusation Thursday when New York's attorney general told a court that the former president might be trying to dodge any punishment resulting from her fraud lawsuit—partly by starting a new company. Letitia James' office wrote in the filing...
Trump Lawsuit Likely to
Follow Familiar Pattern
Sep 21, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Trump Lawsuit Likely to Follow Familiar Pattern
New York AG is 'targeting Trump’s old occupation, not his new one'
- New York's attorney general is suing Donald Trump , along with three of his children and the Trump Organization—but the former president's future is likely to be determined by voters, not lawsuits, Philip Bump writes at the
. He notes that the Letitia James suit, which alleges...
NY Attorney General Sues
Trump, His Kids, His Company
Sep 21, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
NY Attorney General Sues Trump, His Kids, His Company
Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit is culmination of 3-year civil investigation
- New York's attorney general sued former President Trump and his company on Wednesday, alleging business fraud involving some of their most prized assets, including properties in Manhattan, Chicago, and Washington, DC. Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit , filed in state court in New York, is the culmination of the Democrat'...
As Bannon Surrenders,
Sep 8, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
As Bannon Surrenders, Charges Revealed
Former White House strategist charged with money laundering, conspiracy in New York
- Steve Bannon has turned himself in to authorities in New York, who accuse him of stealing more than $1 million from donations meant to fund a border wall on the US-Mexico border. The allegations mirror federal charges Bannon faced before he was pardoned by President Trump. Two other men charged...
President Is Being
Aug 10, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Former president complains he's 'being attacked from all sides' ahead of NY deposition
- Former President Trump will sit for a deposition —one he has fought for months—on Wednesday as part of the final stage of the New York investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices. For the past three years, New York attorney general Letitia James' lawyers have been investigating...
Firm That Appraised
Held in Contempt
Jul 6, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Firm That Appraised Trump Properties Held in Contempt
Cushman & Wakefield to incur $10K fine every day it doesn't comply with subpoenas
- Donald Trump is no longer in contempt of a New York court, but now a real estate firm with a connection to him is. The
New York Times
reports Cushman & Wakefield—which numbers among the world's biggest real estate firms—was on Tuesday held in contempt of court...
After 3 Years, Trump Will
Face the Music in NY Court
Jun 9, 2022 6:27 AM CDT
After 3 Years, Trump Will Face the Music in NY Court
Former president, 2 children will give depositions starting July 15
- Former President Trump, his namesake son, and his daughter Ivanka have agreed to answer questions under oath next month in the civil investigation by state Attorney General Letitia James into his business practices—unless their lawyers persuade the state's highest court to step in. A Manhattan judge signed off...
Judge Orders Trump
to Sit for Deposition
May 26, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
Judge Orders Trump to Sit for Deposition
Former president can appeal or plead the 5th as part of New York state investigation
- Former President Trump must answer questions under oath in New York state’s civil investigation into his business practices, a state appeals court ruled Thursday. A four-judge panel in the appellate division of the state’s trial court upheld Manhattan Judge Arthur Engoron’s Feb. 17 ruling enforcing subpoenas for...
Judge Halts Trump's
May 11, 2022 2:57 PM CDT
Judge Halts Trump's $10K-a-Day Fines
But former president needs to cough up $110K
- A judge in New York has halted the $10,000-per-day fines Donald Trump has been racking up since he was held in contempt of court last month—but New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron's conditions for lifting the contempt order include payment of $110,000 in accrued fines....
Court Won't Pause
Trump's $10K-a-Day Fines
May 4, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
Court Won't Pause Trump's $10K-a-Day Fines
Ex-POTUS is appealing, but fines will keep accruing for now
- A New York appellate court judge on Tuesday rejected former President Trump’s bid to halt his $10,000-a-day fines , keeping his meter running for now as he fights a lower-court decision penalizing him for failing to turn over documents in a state civil investigation. Judge Tanya Kennedy, of the...
New York AG Wants Trump
Held in Contempt
Apr 7, 2022 1:41 PM CDT
New York AG Wants Trump Held in Contempt
Attorney General Letitia James says he should be fined $10K a day for failure to turn over records
- New York's attorney general is calling for former President Trump to be fined $10,000 a day until he hands over requested documents. Letitia James asked a state court Thursday to hold Trump in contempt, accusing him of failure to comply with a court order to submit documents related...
No One's Sure Why Andrew
Cuomo Just Put Out This Ad
Mar 1, 2022 9:15 AM CST
No One's Sure Why Andrew Cuomo Just Put Out This Ad
Promo, which suggests sexual harassment case was politically motivated, spurs speculation
- Andrew Cuomo wasn't forced to resign from the New York governor's office because of a credible sexual harassment case but rather "political attacks," according to a new ad campaign. Per the
New York Times
, Cuomo's campaign is spending $369,000 to air a 30-second TV...
Cuomo Claims He's
Feb 7, 2022 3:13 PM CST
Cuomo Claims He's Been 'Vindicated'
He won't rule out another run for office
- Just six months after he announced his resignation amid a sexual harassment scandal, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo claims he's been "vindicated"—and he isn't ruling out another run for office. "I never resigned because I said I did something wrong. I said, I’...
New York AG:
Evidence of Fraud by
Jan 19, 2022 12:59 AM CST
New York AG: Investigators Found Evidence of Fraud by Trump Organization
Letitia James says authorities haven't yet decided whether to pursue legal action
- The New York attorney general’s office late Tuesday told a court its investigators had uncovered evidence that Donald Trump’s company used “fraudulent or misleading” asset valuations to get loans and tax benefits, the AP reports. The court filing said state authorities haven’t yet decided whether to...
Jan 4, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Groping Charges Dropped Against Andrew Cuomo
Prosecutor calls woman's accusation credible but says he doesn't have enough evidence
Another legal win for Andrew Cuomo in regard to sexual harassment allegations. The former New York governor will not face a criminal charge that he fondled an aide while in office, reports the AP . Albany County District Attorney David Soares said Tuesday that he was dropping the case because...
Trump Family Asks Judge
to Quash Subpoenas
Jan 4, 2022 12:01 AM CST
Trump Family Asks Judge to Quash Subpoenas
A decision is not expected for at least a month
Lawyers for Donald Trump and his two eldest children, Ivanka and Donald Jr., asked a judge on Monday night to quash the subpoenas issued to the three Trumps last month. Allowing them to testify in the civil probe would set a "dangerous precedent," their court filing argues,...
Dec 20, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Trump Just Sued New York's Attorney General
He says Letitia James' investigation of him is politically biased
Donald Trump is suing the attorney general of New York over her investigation of his business empire, reports the
New York Times
. The former president says the inquiry by Letitia James violates his constitutional rights because it's politically motivated. "Her mission is guided solely by political animus...
Ethics Panel Says Cuomo
Can't Keep Book Proceeds
Dec 14, 2021 2:46 PM CST
Ethics Panel Says Cuomo Can't Keep Book Proceeds
Investigators say he broke promise not to have staffers work on 'American Crisis'
- Former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo received a hefty sum for his book on the pandemic—and a state ethics panel has now ordered him to turn it over. The Joint Commission on Public Ethics voted 12-1 to order Cuomo to hand over the proceeds from
American Crisis: Leadership Lessons
New York's Letitia James
Ends Run for Governor
Dec 9, 2021 11:45 AM CST
New York's Letitia James Ends Run for Governor
Instead, woman who brought down Andrew Cuomo hopes to remain state attorney general
Letitia James won't be running for governor after all. New York's attorney general said Thursday she plans to run for re-election to her current job instead, reports the AP . James, a Democrat, had been expected to be a strong challenger against Gov. Kathy Hochul, who replaced Andrew...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.