Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Religious Exemption Requests
on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Dec 19, 2021 11:55 AM CST
Religious Exemption Requests on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Pentagon didn't expect 12K applications
- When the Pentagon announced in August that all service members would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, it said they can seek religious exemptions. More than 12,000 military service members have done that, the AP reports, but so far, not one exemption on religious grounds has been granted....
Ends in Fireball
Sep 3, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Startup's Unmanned Rocket Launch Ends in Fireball
Space Force officials ordered destruction once Alpha began tumbling
- Less than 3 minutes after launching on its inaugural flight Thursday evening in California, Firefly's unmanned rocket started to flip end over end, doing cartwheels in the sky. It then exploded mid-air, CNBC reports. Space Force officials had told the company to destroy Alpha once the weirdness started so...
Biologist Counting Turtles
Finds These Instead
Jun 14, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
Biologist Counting Turtles Finds These Instead
Bundles of cocaine wash up at Space Force base near Cape Canaveral
- Florida, a place that has long had a reputation for strange goings-on, can add a tale of smugglers, sea turtles, a million dollars in drugs, and Space Force to its collection. A few weeks ago, Angy Chambers, a wildlife manager surveying sea turtle nests near Cape Canaveral found something besides...
Space Force Officer
May 17, 2021 1:57 AM CDT
Space Force Officer Booted After Podcast Comments
Lt. Col. Matthew Lohmeier fired after promoting his new book
- A Space Force commander is out of a job after his controversial appearance on The Steve Gruber Show , a conservative podcast. Lt. Col. Matthew Lohmeier alleges in his new self-published book,
Irresistible Revolution: Marxism's Goal of Conquest & the Unmaking of the American Military,
that Marxism is increasingly influential...
Biden Is Keeping Space Force
Feb 3, 2021 4:08 PM CST
Biden Is Keeping Space Force
New military branch has full support of the administration, press secretary says
- Space Force appears to be here to stay. The White House said Wednesday that President Biden—who has been dismantling much of Donald Trump's legacy—fully supports the new branch of the military. Press secretary Jen Psaki said the new administration has no plans to revisit Trump's decision...
Space Force Has
Dec 19, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Space Force Has Completed a 'Momentous Responsibility'
Troops have been officially named 'guardians,' Mike Pence announced Friday
- If "troops" seemed too boring of a way to refer to the members of Space Force, never fear—there's a new label for those in service to the latest US military branch. "It is my honor, on behalf of the president of the United States, to announce...
US Launches Another
May 17, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
US Launches Another Mystery Rocket
It's the 6th flight of an X-37B, a solar-powered plane
- The US military's mystery space plane rocketed into orbit again Sunday, this time with an extra load of science experiments, the AP reports. It's the sixth flight of an X-37B, a solar-powered plane that's flown by remote control without a crew. Officials aren't saying how long...
Space Force Needs Help
Naming Its Troops
Feb 14, 2020 3:53 AM CST
Space Force Needs Help Naming Its Troops
'Spacemen' has been ruled out
- The Air Force calls its personnel airmen, but the Space Force isn't planning on calling its troops "spacemen"—and "space cadets" has also been ruled out. The new branch of the US military said in a press release this week that it would like members of...
Space Force Logo Revealed,
Looks a Teensy Bit Familiar
Jan 25, 2020 5:15 AM CST
Space Force Logo Revealed, Looks a Teensy Bit Familiar
No, we are not living in the Star Trek universe
- The Pentagon's new US Space Force is not Star Trek's Starfleet Command, but their logos bear a striking similarity, the AP reports. President Trump unveiled the Space Force logo Friday, writing on Twitter that he had consulted with military leaders and designers before presenting the blue-and-white symbol, which...
US Space Force
Defends Its Uniforms
Jan 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
US Space Force Defends Its Uniforms
It's a better look for Earth than orbit, military and online fashion critics agree
- The Space Force has unveiled its utility uniforms, which look a lot like the other military branches' uniforms. There are reasons for that, the
reports. The nation's newest branch of the military "is utilizing current Army/Air Force uniforms, saving costs of designing/producing a new one." The...
Dec 21, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Space Force Is Here
Trump signs the sweeping act that includes it
- President Trump celebrated on Friday the launch of Space Force, the first new military service in more than 70 years, the AP reports. In signing the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act that includes Space Force, Trump claimed a victory for one of his top national security priorities just two days...
House Passes Bill Including
Space Force, Parental Leave
Dec 12, 2019 4:33 AM CST
House Passes Bill Including Space Force, Parental Leave
Trump urges Senate to pass defense bill
- The military will get a new branch and federal workers will get up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave under a massive $738 billion military bill policy passed by the House Wednesday. The
reports that the National Defense Authorization Act passed 377-48, with most of the votes against...
Aug 29, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Space Command Is Resurrected
Trump says Pentagon has established the command, which is different from Space Force
- Declaring space crucial to the nation's defense, President Trump said Thursday the Pentagon has established US Space Command to preserve American dominance on "the ultimate high ground." "This is a landmark day," Trump said in a Rose Garden ceremony, "one that recognizes the centrality...
Pence Announces Big
Step Toward Space Force
Aug 21, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Pence Announces Big Step Toward Space Force
US Space Command to be established Aug. 29
- We're a week away from having a US Space Command—not to be confused with a US Space Force . "Next week we will formally stand up the new unified combatant command that will be known as the United States Space Command," Vice President Mike Pence announced Tuesday...
Popular on Newser
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.