Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dec 8, 2023 1:11 PM CST
MacKenzie Scott Gave Away $2.1B Last Year
Billionaire philanthropist once married to Jeff Bezos has given away more than $16B since 2019
- MacKenzie Scott donated $2.1 billion in the past year, she said in an online post, bringing her total reported giving to more than $16 billion since 2019. While previous announcements have included detailed essays about the reasons for her donations, Scott offered only a short post titled "Giving...
Jeff Bezos' Ex
Gives Away Another $2B
Nov 15, 2022 2:30 AM CST
Jeff Bezos' Ex Gives Away Another $2B
MacKenzie Scott makes the announcement on her blog
- Megadonor and novelist MacKenzie Scott announced almost $2 billion in donations to 343 organizations in a short blog post Monday, emphasizing her interest in supporting people from underserved communities. In her first post in nearly eight months, Scott showcased her donations to numerous funds as a “great resource” for...
Gives Girl Scouts
Its Biggest Gift Ever
Oct 18, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Gives Girl Scouts Its Biggest Gift Ever
Philanthropist donates more than $84M to group
- Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott donated $84.5 million to Girl Scouts of the USA and 29 of its local branches, the 110-year-old organization said Tuesday, calling it a vote of confidence. "Her support of our organization means honestly just as much as the donation," Sofia Chang, CEO of GSUSA,...
MacKenzie Scott Quietly
Files for Divorce
Sep 29, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Her second husband had disappeared from joint philanthropy efforts
MacKenzie Scott has indeed split with her second husband. The billionaire philanthropist, 52, filed for divorce from science teacher Dan Jewett on Monday after less than two years of marriage, reports CNN . The papers were filed in King County Superior Court in Washington state, though no further details were...
Had a Very
Apr 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Jeff Bezos' Bank Account Had a Very Bad Day
Stock slide shrinks founder's personal wealth by $18B
- It took a single day for the effects of Amazon's quarterly loss to be brought home to Jeff Bezos. The company's founder fell Friday to No. 3 on the list of the world's richest people, after Amazon reported Thursday that it had lost $3.8 billion in...
Three Decades Ago, She
Struggled to Pay the Rent
Apr 16, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Three Decades Ago, She Struggled to Pay the Rent
'New York Times Magazine' profiles MacKenzie Scott
- A new profile of MacKenzie Scott in the
New York Times Magazine
points out that 30 years ago, she was putting herself through Princeton as a waitress and worried about paying the rent. At one point, her college roommate, after finding Scott crying on the couch, gave her a $1,...
Has a Giant Gift for
Habitat for Humanity
Mar 23, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Has a Giant Gift for Habitat for Humanity
- MacKenzie Scott has donated $436 million to Habitat for Humanity International and 84 of its US affiliates—the largest publicly disclosed donation from the billionaire philanthropist since she pledged in 2019 to give away the majority of her wealth, the AP reports. "We could not be more excited to...
In Latest Round
of Giving by
'No Dollar Signs'
Dec 9, 2021 7:03 AM CST
In Latest Round of Giving by MacKenzie Scott, 'No Dollar Signs'
Billionaire philanthropist won't say how much she gave away this time
- In a blog post titled “ No Dollar Signs This Time ,” billionaire philanthropist MacKenzie Scott said she won’t reveal how much she has given to charity since her last round of donations earlier this year, in an effort to reduce the attention she draws, the AP reports. Instead,...
What a $50M MacKenzie Scott
Donation Has Helped Achieve
Nov 14, 2021 9:51 AM CST
What a $50M MacKenzie Scott Donation Has Helped Achieve
She gave that amount in 2020 to Prairie View A&M University
- MacKenzie Scott has famously given away billions of dollars of her Amazon-related wealth since 2020. Writing for the
New York Times
, Gina Cherelus zeroes in on where $50 million of those billions went: to Prairie View A&M University, a historically Black university in Texas. It's actually Texas' second-oldest...
When 2 Billionaires'
Exes Team Up? This
Jul 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
What Happens When 2 Billionaires' Exes Team Up? This
MacKenzie Scott, Melinda French Gates donate $40M to programs supporting gender equality
- We don't know (though we'd love to) what the flies on the wall hear when MacKenzie Scott and Melinda French Gates get together, but one of their recent conversations apparently took a philanthropic turn. The two billionaires—and exes of former Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft co-founder...
Slams Wealth Gap,
Donates Billions More
Jun 15, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Slams Wealth Gap, Donates Billions More
Jeff Bezos' ex-wife gives to 286 organizations
- MacKenzie Scott just made a lot of people very happy. The billionaire philanthropist and ex-wife of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos announced Tuesday in a Medium post that she has given away another $2.7 billion to 286 organizations, per the AP . It's the third round of announcements Scott has...
How Scammers Made Use
of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
Apr 25, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
How Scammers Made Use of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
She gave billions directly to foundations, and scammers took advantage of that
- "What a gift she’s given them," professor Marti DeLiema tells the
New York Times
of MacKenzie Scott and the almost $6 billion she gave away last year. But the "them" DeLiema is referring to isn't the hundreds of nonprofits who were surprised to get an...
Jeff Bezos' Ex,
Is Married Again
Mar 8, 2021 12:31 AM CST
MacKenzie Scott, Jeff Bezos' Ex, Is Married Again
To Dan Jewett of Seattle, a teacher
- Two years after she divorced the world's richest man , MacKenzie Scott has a new husband. The billionaire philanthropist and author married Dan Jewett, a science teacher at a private school in Seattle, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Scott's Amazon author bio now mentions her new spouse, and there'...
Bezos' Ex Gives Away Billions
More, 'No Strings Attached'
Dec 16, 2020 4:49 AM CST
Bezos' Ex Gives Away Billions More, 'No Strings Attached'
MacKenzie Scott donates another $4.2B
- MacKenzie Scott continues to dole out the billions following her divorce from Jeff Bezos. The Amazon founder's ex, who has pledged to donate most of her fortune and had already given away $1.7 billion to that end, on Tuesday announced another massive give: this time, $4.16 billion...
One of These Men Nabs
'Most Influential' Cover
Sep 23, 2020 7:27 AM CDT
One of These Men Nabs
'Most Influential' Cover
Fauci. Time 100 list also features Trump, Megan Thee Stallion, and more
- President Trump will not like this : Dr. Anthony Fauci of the White House Coronavirus Task Force graces the cover of
magazine as one of the year's 100 most influential people . (There will be eight worldwide covers in all, per
.) President Trump also made the list,...
An American Has Become
the Richest Woman on Earth
Sep 3, 2020 6:07 AM CDT
An American Has Become the Richest Woman on Earth
Surge in tech stocks raises MacKenzie Scott's wealth to $68B
- The recent surge in tech stock prices has shaken up the rankings of the world's billionaires—and made MacKenzie Scott the richest woman on the planet, thanks to the 4% stake in Amazon she received in her 2019 divorce from Jeff Bezos. Her estimated net worth of $68 billion...
Joins an Elite Club
Aug 27, 2020 1:08 PM CDT
Elon Musk Joins an Elite Club
He is now one of 4 'centibillionaires' on the planet
- MacKenzie Scott may just become the world's richest woman after all . Her ex-husband, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, should be celebrating, too. Bezos' wealth topped $200 billion on Wednesday as shares in the e-commerce giant hit a record. As Bloomberg reports, the climb brings Scott "to the brink of...
Jul 29, 2020 5:01 AM CDT
Bezos' Ex Reveals New Name, and More
MacKenzie Scott has pledged to donate most of her fortune
- Jeff Bezos' ex-wife revealed some big news Tuesday: She's already given away $1.7 billion of her fortune, and she has a new name. She's now MacKenzie Scott, having reverted from MacKenzie Bezos "back to middle name I grew up with, after my grandfather Scott," she...
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.