Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 10, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Starbucks Reconsiders Bathroom Policy
CEO says mental health crisis poses a danger to employees, customers
- Public access to Starbucks bathrooms, a point of contention in the past, might be shut off again. CEO Howard Schultz put the issue in a mental health context, saying at a forum Thursday that the number of people allowed in stores who aren't customers might have to be limited,...
Starbucks Closing Up Shop
May 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Starbucks Closing Up Shop Throughout Russia
Chain follows lead of McDonald's to permanently exit
- Russians already lost their Big Macs . Now, Starbucks is going, too. The coffee chain said Monday it's following the lead of McDonald's and other Western businesses and will exit Russia after 15 years to protest the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . The coffee chain will close its 130...
Glues Hand to
May 10, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Actor Glues Hand to Starbucks Counter
James Cromwell was taking part in PETA protest against vegan milk 'upcharge'
- Celebrity PETA supporter James Cromwell became a fixture at a Starbucks in Manhattan Tuesday morning. The
actor superglued his hand to the counter as part of a protest calling for the coffee chain to stop charging customers extra for non-dairy milks, CBS reports. Page Six reports that the baristas,...
Labor Board Sues Starbucks
Apr 25, 2022 1:53 AM CDT
Labor Board Sues Starbucks
NLRB is suing coffee chain, says it retaliated against workers trying to unionize
- The National Labor Relations Board is suing Starbucks, alleging the coffee chain retaliated against three employees for their union-organizing efforts. "Among other things, Starbucks disciplined, suspended, and discharged one employee, constructively discharged another, and placed a third on an unpaid leave of absence after revoking recently granted accommodations,"...
Union Campaign Hits
Home for Starbucks
Apr 22, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Union Campaign Hits Home for Starbucks
Two company roasteries in Seattle now have approved collective bargaining
- Starbucks workers at the coffee giant's flagship roastery in Seattle voted Thursday to form a union, the chain's latest location to do so. The Seattle store voted 38-27 to unionize. Workers United said 26 Starbucks locations have unionized nationwide. The Starbucks Reserve and Roastery in the Capitol Hill...
What It Once Was
Mar 28, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Starbucks Isn't What It Once Was
Increased efficiency is hurting the company's reputation as a progressive standard-bearer
- Howard Schultz is CEO of Starbucks again , but only on an interim basis while the company continues to work to "reinvent" and/or "reimagine" itself. In a lengthy piece for
Fast Company ,
Clint Rainey looks at why that's needed. Schultz's original vision came to life as "...
Mar 20, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
As Starbucks' Storied CEO Returns, Familiar Fight Looms
Howard Schultz will be interim leader as company faces a unionization movement
- From the time he bought Starbucks in 1987 to the time he stepped down as chairman in 2018, Howard Schultz consistently—and successfully—fought attempts to unionize Starbucks’ US stores and roasting plants, per the AP . But Schultz—who was just named Starbucks’ interim chief executive—never confronted a unionization...
Starbucks Loses Battle
to Fend Off Unionization
Mar 10, 2022 1:01 AM CST
Starbucks Loses Battle to Fend Off Unionization
Workers in 3 more stores vote yes
Three more New York Starbucks stores will become unionized after the majority of employees at the locations voted, narrowly, to form unions. There are now six unionized Starbucks stores in the US, five of them in New York and one in Arizona, the AP reports. Union supporters say Starbucks...
Target Will Soon Hand-Deliver
Starbucks to Customers
Feb 23, 2022 12:53 PM CST
Target Will Soon Hand-Deliver Starbucks to Customers
The ones using curbside pickup, that is
- If your Saturday to-do list generally involves Target and Starbucks, life may be about to get easier. Target on Wednesday announced it will this year start testing an option in select stores where you can add a Starbucks coffee order to your Target Drive Up order, meaning your Target goods...
Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Nov 21, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Starbucks Worker Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Customers at a New Jersey location should get vaccinated, health officials say
- An employee at a New Jersey Starbucks kept working after testing positive for hepatitis A, health officials say—and even handled food. Thousands of people could be at risk, and Camden County officials advise customers to get vaccinated within 14 days of their visit, CNN reports. The Blackwood Clementon Road...
He Died Chasing
Men Who Stole
Now, a Verdict
Nov 11, 2021 9:25 AM CST
He Died Chasing Men Who Stole His Laptop. Now, a Verdict
2 convicted on murder, manslaughter charges after 2019 Starbucks robbery led to death of Shuo Zeng
Two men have been convicted in a 2019 laptop robbery at a Bay Area Starbucks that left a research engineer dead. The
reports a jury on Wednesday found 24-year-old Byron Reed guilty of second-degree murder, and 20-year-old Kejuan Wiggins guilty of voluntary manslaughter, in the Dec. 31,...
Nov 9, 2021 5:46 PM CST
Howard Schultz Makes Starbucks, Holocaust Comparison
Some people thought it missed the mark
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is Jewish, but that fact isn't lessening the scrutiny around a Holocaust comparison he made Saturday. He was speaking to workers in the Buffalo, New York, area who are looking to unionize, and tried to emphasize Starbucks' history of doing right by its employees....
Starbucks to Improve
Pay, Working Conditions
Oct 27, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Starbucks to Improve Pay, Working Conditions
Company speeds up previous promise of $15 per hour
- Starbucks is sweetening the deal for current and prospective employees. The company announced Wednesday it is raising pay for US workers and taking steps to improve working conditions, the AP reports. In a letter to employees, Starbucks' North America President Rossann Williams said the raises will enhance recruitment efforts in...
Angry Customer Pulls Gun
on Police Chief's Daughter
Jun 20, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Angry Customer Pulls Gun on Police Chief's Daughter
The issue at a Florida Starbucks was cream cheese
- A police chief had a fresh personal story to share with the crowd at a peace rally last week in Florida. Miami Gardens Chief Delma Noel-Prat said that the streets need to be taken back, WPLG reports. "Just today, I could've lost my daughter," she said. "...
Starbucks Cans Barista Who
Made Hit TikTok Video
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Starbucks Cans Barista Who Made Hit TikTok Video
He was told he 'demonstrated behavior not aligned with Starbucks Mission Values'
- A barista fired for making a viral TikTok video says he would trade all his views and likes for his job at Starbucks back. Eli, a 19-year-old college student in Indiana, tells BuzzFeed that the now-deleted video poked fun at customers who correct their orders. In one skit, a fellow...
Woman Sues Over Public
Flap at Starbucks
Mar 5, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Woman Sues Over Public Flap at Starbucks
Barista refused her service over mask, and someone made a GoFundMe for him
- Sometimes, public disputes over masks on social media flame out quickly. And sometimes, as in this case, they just keep escalating. In the latest development, a San Diego woman who got into a dispute with a Starbucks barista about wearing a mask is suing the creator of a GoFundMe campaign...
Starbucks Is Getting
in the Vaccination Game
Jan 19, 2021 2:40 AM CST
Starbucks Is Getting in the Vaccination Game
Employees in Washington state are working on optimization, scalability
- When you need COVID-19 vaccines rolled out to your citizens quickly and efficiently, who you gonna call? Starbucks, apparently. Washington state has reached out to the coffee giant for help, and Starbucks says 11 employees with expertise in labor and deployment, operations, and research and development will work full-time on...
Draws BLM Tirade
Oct 20, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
Barista's Mask Request Draws BLM Tirade
White customer berates Black employee at Starbucks, who says she's used to it
- A California barista has explained how she was able to keep her cool while enduring a profane tirade from a customer. "I'm Black in America, so I’ve dealt with these kinds of situations before," said Alex Beckom, 19. "So I am able to stay calm...
Guy Blames Starbucks for
'Awkward and Painful' Sex
Sep 18, 2020 10:51 AM CDT
Guy Blames Starbucks for 'Awkward and Painful' Sex
Calif. man sues chain, claims hot tea spilled all over his genitals at drive-thru and disfigured them
- A young dad has filed suit against Starbucks after he says hot tea he ordered in a California drive-thru spilled all over him and scalded his genitals. Per the
, the complaint by Tommy Piluyev against the coffee chain and Pactiv Packaging, the company that makes Starbucks' cups and...
in Cops' Drinks
Jul 22, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Starbucks Worker Allegedly Spit in Cops' Drinks
He's been fired, arrested
- A New Jersey Starbucks worker was fired and arrested after allegedly spitting in drinks served to police officers. "We got a tip that he had done this," a Park Ridge police captain tells NBC News . Upon investigating, "We believe it happened more than once but we can...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Miracle Boy' in Florida Condo Collapse Tells His Story
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.