Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
in Death of
in North Carolina
May 18, 2021 1:18 PM CDT
No Charges in Death of Andrew Brown in North Carolina
Prosecutor calls deputies' actions justified
- "No officers will be criminally charged," a North Carolina district attorney announced Tuesday in the case of Andrew Brown Jr., who was shot to death by sheriff's deputies who had gone to his home to arrest him. "The officers' actions were consistent with their training and...
New Video Shows
Andrew Brown Jr.
May 12, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Lawyers: New Video Shows Andrew Brown Jr. Was 'Ambushed'
Family has now seen 20 minutes of footage
- Authorities have claimed Andrew Brown Jr., the Black man shot dead by police last month in Elizabeth City, NC, was driving his car into sheriff's deputies when they shot. But lawyers for Brown's family say body camera and dashboard footage that they saw for the first time Tuesday...
Judge Declines to Release
Video of Andrew Brown's Death
Apr 28, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Judge Declines to Release Video of Andrew Brown's Death
Select family members will be able to view redacted versions
- A North Carolina judge on Wednesday declined to OK the public release of the bodycam footage showing the death of Andrew Brown Jr. in Elizabeth City last week. State law puts the authority to release such videos in the hands of the courts, not law enforcement agencies. NPR reports a...
Autopsy: Andrew Brown
Was Shot 5 Times
Apr 28, 2021 12:08 AM CDT
Autopsy: Andrew Brown Was Shot 5 Times
Hearing on bodycam footage set for Wednesday morning
- As protests continued in Elizabeth City, NC, over the fatal police shooting of Andrew Brown Jr. last Wednesday, attorneys for Brown's family held a press conference Tuesday to discuss the results of an autopsy they commissioned. It shows that the 42-year-old Black man died after a "kill shot...
Lawyer: Police Video
Shows an Execution
Apr 26, 2021 5:31 PM CDT
Lawyer: Police Video Shows an Execution
Family sees 20-second clip of Andrew Brown Jr.'s death
- Five days after Andrew Brown Jr., a 42-year-old Black man, was shot to death by North Carolina sheriff's deputies, members of his family were allowed to see a brief video clip of his killing. What they saw, one lawyer for the family said, was an execution. Chantel Cherry-Lassiter said...
NC City Declares Emergency
Before Police Video Released
Apr 26, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
NC City Declares Emergency Before Police Video Released
'What is on the video that is so damning?' asks attorney for Andrew Brown Jr.'s family
- "What is on the video that is so damning?" attorney Ben Crump wondered after a North Carolina city announced a state of emergency ahead of the expected Monday release of a video of a police shooting. Andrew Brown Jr., a 42-year-old Black man, was shot dead Wednesday after police...
Popular on Newser
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Meet One of the Art World's Fastest-Rising Stars
'It Feels Cautiously Good' on COVID as Summer Hits
After Dad Found Dead, Bodies of 2 Kids Pulled From Lake
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.