Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
School Library Scraps Inaugural
Poem After Parent Complaint
May 24, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
School Library Scraps Inaugural Poem After Parent Complaint
Amanda Gorman says she's 'gutted' that 'The Hill We Climb' was taken out of Fla. elementary library
- The young poet who performed her spoken-word piece at President Biden's 2021 inauguration is now at the center of the latest book-banning controversy. Citing documents from the Florida Freedom to Read Project, Politico reports that Amanda Gorman's poem "The Hill We Climb" has been removed from the...
Rookie Novelist Scores
a National Book Award
Nov 17, 2022 7:17 AM CST
Rookie Novelist Scores a National Book Award
Gunty's 'The Rabbit Hutch' won fiction prize; Imani Perry won for nonfiction for 'South to America'
- Tess Gunty's
The Rabbit Hutch
, a sweeping debut novel set in a low-income housing community in Indiana, has won the National Book Award for fiction. The 30-year-old Gunty was among three writers nominated for their first published books, per the AP . The nonfiction prize went to Imani Perry's...
'Poet Who Connects' Gets
Nod From Library of Congress
Jul 12, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
'Poet Who Connects' Gets Nod From Library of Congress
Ada Limon, 46, is nation's 24th poet laureate
- The country's next poet laureate, Ada Limon, has long thought of her work as a public art form. "I grew up with poetry being in the community," says Limon, a native of Sonoma, Calif. "It wasn't supposed to just be something read on [the] page;...
Poet and Author Who Sparked
1990s Men's Movement Dies
Nov 22, 2021 2:50 PM CST
Poet and Author Who Sparked 1990s Men's Movement Dies
Robert Bly, best known for Iron John , was 94
- Robert Bly, one of the most prominent American poets of the last half century and author of the best-selling men’s movement classic
has died. He was 95. His daughter, Mary Bly, said her father died Sunday at his home in Minneapolis after suffering from dementia for 14...
Turns Down Job
Feb 26, 2021 2:25 PM CST
White Poet Turns Down Job to Translate Gorman Poem
Dutch writer Marieke Lucas Rijneveld nixes assignment after critics say Black writer should do it
- A writer who was chosen to translate American poet Amanda Gorman's work into Dutch has handed back the assignment following criticism that a white author was selected to translate the words of a Black woman who's the youngest inaugural poet in US history. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, who uses...
the Beats, and
Feb 23, 2021 3:42 PM CST
Poet Backed the Beats, and Change, With Bookstore
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, 101, owned influential City Lights in San Francisco
- Poet, publisher, and bookseller Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who helped launch and perpetuate the Beat movement, has died. He was 101. Ferlinghetti died at his San Francisco home Monday, the AP reports. The cause was lung disease. Ferlinghetti was known for his influential bookstore, City Lights, an essential San Francisco meeting place...
Fans Make Her
Jan 21, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Amanda Gorman's Fans Make Her Books Bestsellers
'I am on the floor,' inaugural poet says
- Amanda Gorman has two books coming out, but not until September. After the poet's performance at President Biden's inauguration Wednesday, they went to the top of a bestseller list anyway. "I am on the floor," Gorman tweeted . "My books are #1 and #2 on Amazon...
Inaugural Poet Finished
Work After Capitol Riot
Jan 20, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Inaugural Poet Finished Work After Capitol Riot
Amanda Gorman is youngest-ever inaugural poet
- President Biden is the fourth president to have had a poem read at their inauguration—and at 22, Amanda Gorman is the youngest inaugural poet ever. Gorman, who became America's first National Youth Poet Laureate in 2017, read new work "The Hill We Climb," which she completed...
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Jul 22, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Nadim Shamma-Sourgen writes 'purely childlike' poems
- Not many poets try picking their nose on national television. But then, Nadim Shamma-Sourgen doesn't have much media experience: He just landed his first book deal at the age of four, the
reports. "The poems talk about such important feelings, like love and loneliness, and Nadim finds...
Our Poet Laureate Has
Been Named. It's Historic
Jun 19, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Our Poet Laureate Has Been Named. It's Historic
Joy Harjo, 68, is first-ever Native American in the role
- The first Oklahoman to ever be bestowed the title of US poet laureate has another distinction to brag about: She'll also be the first Native American to serve in the role when she takes over for Tracy K. Smith in the fall and becomes the 23rd Poet Laureate Consultant...
'We Have to Steal to Eat':
The Poetry of Bonnie and Clyde
Mar 3, 2019 7:30 AM CST
'We Have to Steal to Eat': The Poetry of Bonnie and Clyde
Notebook thought to contain outlaw verse goes on auction
- Outlaw poetry has a new entrant. An auction house in Dallas plans to sell a notebook of what appears to be poetry written by the infamous Bonnie and Clyde. The notebook is essentially a daily planner for 1933, Atlas Obscura reports, and Clyde Barrow's family has had it since...
'Bride Married to Amazement':
Poet Mary Oliver Dies
Jan 18, 2019 1:00 AM CST
'Bride Married to Amazement': Poet Mary Oliver Dies
Beloved Pulitzer-winner was 83
- Mary Oliver, the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet whose rapturous odes to nature and animal life brought her critical acclaim and popular affection, has died. She was 83. Bill Reichblum, Oliver's literary executor, said she died Thursday at her home in Hobe Sound, Florida. The cause of death was lymphoma. "...
Poems May Be Great,
but 'Poet Voice' Is the Pits
May 8, 2018 3:47 PM CDT
Poems May Be Great, but 'Poet Voice' Is the Pits
It's a slow, unnatural style of speaking, say researchers
- Just as newscasters have their own speaking style , so, too, do poets. And it's pretty boring. Described by Rich Smith at CityArts as "a precious, lilting cadence" marked by pauses "where pauses need not go," the phenomenon of "poet voice" has now been cemented in...
Has Big Plans
Jun 14, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
America's New Poet Laureate Has Big Plans
Tracy K. Smith wants to bring people together through poetry
- Tracy K. Smith, the country's new poet laureate, would like to start a conversation. "A poem asks you to let go many of your assumptions, move away from your own certainties and to listen," says Smith, 45, a Pulitzer Prize winner whose appointment to a one-year term...
Nurse Accused of Murdering
8 Patients Wrote Creepy Poem
Oct 26, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Nurse Accused of Murdering 8 Patients Wrote Creepy Poem
Elizabeth Wettlaufer accused of killing elderly patients in Canada
- A 49-year-old nurse in Canada is accused of murdering eight of her nursing home patients, a crime string that would make her one of the nation's most prolific serial killers, reports the
Globe and Mail
. And in a decidedly creepy twist, the
reports that she once wrote...
The Indy 500 Has Its First Official Poet in 90 Years
Apr 30, 2016 9:36 AM CDT
The Indy 500 Has Its First Official Poet in 90 Years
Adam Henze chosen for 100th running
- An Indiana University student who is a poet and a performer has been named the Indianapolis 500's first official poet since the early 20th century. Adam Henze of Bloomington beat out more than 200 others who submitted Indy 500-themed poems for the contest co-sponsored by Indiana Humanities, reports the...
Feb 18, 2016 10:00 AM CST
Lost Tolkien Poems Found in School Annual
Christmas poem, love poem from 1936 'overwhelmed' UK principal who found them
- In August, a previously unseen JRR Tolkien retelling of a 19
-century Finnish epic was published. Now the world will get to experience two other lost Tolkien gems: a pair of poems the
Lord of the Rings
author penned for an English student publication in 1936, the
New York Times
Love Poem to
Feb 12, 2016 10:38 AM CST
Obama Recites Love Poem to Michelle on
'I Obamacare about you more than you even know'
- President Barack Obama, who's spending another Valentine's Day apart from wife Michelle, did the next best thing short of celebrating the lovers' holiday with her: On Friday's broadcast of the
Ellen DeGeneres Show
, the president recited a love poem he says he had planned to deliver to...
White Guy Finally
as Yi-Fen Chou
Sep 8, 2015 12:56 PM CDT
White Guy Finally Gets Published— as Yi-Fen Chou
Poem really by Michael Derrick Hudson of Fort Wayne, Ind.
- "If there is such a thing as employing yellowface in poetry, this has to be it." That's what Korean-American blogger Phil Yu, known as Angry Asian Man , has to say about Michael Derrick Hudson , a white poet whose poem was chosen for
The Best American Poetry 2015
Meet the Guys Google
Pays to Write Poetry
Mar 9, 2015 4:58 PM CDT
Meet the Guys Google Pays to Write Poetry
The Haiku Guys get hundreds of dollars per hour to write personalized poems
- Waxing lyrical might not seem like to best route to riches, but it turns out poetry is still pretty popular—and "the Haiku Guys" have been able to turn that appeal into cash,
reports. What they offer is, essentially, a custom poem-writing service. As the guys' site...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.