electrocution

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad

Change is one of several to come before Trump's term is up

(Newser) - Death by firing squad could be the fate of federal death row inmates in the US under a new rule from the Justice Department. For decades, federal executions have been carried out by lethal injection. But a new rule to be published Friday in the Federal Register, and take effect...

Her BF Was Electrocuted After a Crash. Then, More News

Destiny Wallace finds out she's pregnant with Fabian Garnica's child after he steps on power line

(Newser) - A 20-year-old Texas man survived a collision with a utility pole on Saturday but, sadly, didn't survive much long after. An injured Fabian Garnica was electrocuted when he stepped out of his vehicle and directly onto a downed power line at the site of the single-vehicle crash along Highway...

Every McDonald's in This Nation Shuttered for 2 Days

After 2 teen employees were electrocuted in Lima, Peru

(Newser) - Every McDonald's in Peru shut down for two days this week to mourn two teen workers who died while working a night shift over the weekend. The bodies of 18-year-old Gabriel Campos Zapata and Alexandra Porras Inga, 19, were found by emergency workers in the Lima restaurant Sunday morning....

Water Agency Pays $14M to Families of Electrocuted Boys

17-year-olds died trying to save dog from canal

(Newser) - On April 1, California 17-year-olds Jacob Schneider and Jacob Hourmouzus jumped into a canal from a metal bridge to save a dog that had fallen in. When they grabbed the same bridge to pull themselves out, they were electrocuted. The Solano Irrigation District has now agreed to pay $7 million...

US Siblings' Swim During Guatemala Trip Turns Fatal

Tennessee teen dead, his sister injured after electrical short in hotel pool

(Newser) - A trip to Guatemala turned tragic for a pair of Tennessee siblings Friday when, as they were swimming in their hotel pool, an electrical short occurred, killing one and injuring the other. Seth Washam, 18, who was killed, was slated to attend Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tenn., in the...

Poker Star Likely Electrocuted in Bath: Reports

Russia's Lilya Novikova was big on the Twitch streaming platform

(Newser) - A young poker star is dead in Russia, apparently after accidentally electrocuting herself while using a hair dryer in the bathtub. Local media report the body of Lilya Novikova was found by an elderly neighbor in the bathroom of her family's Moscow apartment days before her 27th birthday after...

High School Baseball Coach, Wife Electrocuted

Florida couple died in freak accident on field

(Newser) - A Florida high school baseball coach and his wife were killed in a freak accident Sunday while trying to get a hurricane-damaged field ready for baseball season. Authorities say Liberty County High School coach Corey Crum and wife Shana Crum, a school district health aide, were electrocuted while replacing a...

2 Brothers Went to Rev Up a Sauna. They Were Found Dead

Police in Finland believe the men were electrocuted after a nearby lightning strike

(Newser) - Finnish police say they suspect two men died from a lightning strike's electric charge while they were heating up a sauna near a summer cottage in eastern Finland. The brothers, born in 1950 and 1953, had arrived at the cottage in Juuka, a community of 3,200 in the...

Girl, 10, Electrocuted Trying to Save Kittens

Animals were stuck behind dryer, family says

(Newser) - A Texas family says they are trying to "make sense of the senseless" in the tragic death of their 10-year-old daughter, who was electrocuted in their home. Greenlee Marie Buckley's mother says the girl, who loved animals, died while trying to rescue two kittens that had become trapped...

Texas Boy Who Died Playing Hide-and-Seek Was Electrocuted

How exactly that happened hasn't been released

(Newser) - A game of hide-and-seek among children took a deadly turn in east Houston, and now an autopsy begins to explain why. Fernando Hernandez Jr., 10, was found unresponsive in a clothes dryer on Friday night, and ABC13 reports the cause of death was electrocution, per the Harris County Medical Examiner'...

Wife Thought He Was 'Normal.' Then Cops Say He Set a Trap

Michael Wilson allegedly rigged front door to electrocute his pregnant wife

(Newser) - A Florida sheriff calls it "one of the most bizarre domestic violence cases I have seen in my career." The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports a Florida man allegedly rigged a "booby trap" capable of electrocuting his pregnant wife if she unlocked the front door of their home...

Teens in Honor Killing Were Electrocuted: Authorities

The 15-year-old and 17-year-old had sought to elope

(Newser) - Authorities believe a teen couple murdered last month in Pakistan was killed by electrocution—an extremely rare method of death in so-called honor killings, the BBC reports. The bodies of a 15-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy were exhumed from a grave site in Karachi, and a postmortem examination was conducted...

Grieving Houston Mom Warns of Danger Lurking in Water

Her son was electrocuted wading through floodwaters to rescue his sister's cat

(Newser) - The family of a former Eagle Scout is mourning his Tuesday death in Houston and warning others of an often-unseen danger in the floodwaters spurred by Harvey . Andrew Pasek, said to be in his mid-20s, was electrocuted in the Bear Creek subdivision after he and a friend braved water-filled streets...

2 Eagle Scouts Dead in Sailing Electrocution

Another boy, 11, is hospitalized in Texas

(Newser) - Two Eagle Scouts were fatally electrocuted over the weekend while teaching a younger Boy Scout how to sail. Authorities in East Texas say the mast of their catamaran apparently struck a power line on a lake Saturday afternoon, reports NBC News . The older boys, ages 16, and 18, were found...

Parents Release Photo Taken by Teen Electrocuted in Tub

Her final message showed phone extension cord

(Newser) - The last message sent by 14-year-old Madison Coe before she was electrocuted in the bathtub shows the tragic mistake that killed her. "When you use and (sic) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath," the teen from Lovington, NM, wrote...

Teen Electrocuted While Using Cellphone in Bath

Madison Coe was 14

(Newser) - A cautionary tale out of Lovington, NM, where a 14-year-old girl died while using her cellphone in the bathtub. KCBD reports it's unclear exactly how Madison Coe was electrocuted: It may have occurred as she was plugging the phone into a bathroom outlet or in the course of reaching...

3 Kids, 2 Adults Electrocuted in Water Park Pool

Authorities are investigating how Turkey accident happened

(Newser) - Five people, including two teenagers and a 12-year-old, died Friday after being electrocuted at a water park pool in northwest Turkey, Turkish media reports said. The three children were caught up in an electrical current in the pool in the town of Akyazi, in Sakarya province, the state-run Anadolu Agency...

Teen Jumps Into Lake, Is Killed by Electric Current

Evan Currie was trying to save his father and the family dog

(Newser) - A college student in Ohio is dead after he jumped into Lake Erie to save his struggling father and family dog, reports the Cincinnati Inquirer . Evan Currie's death wasn't a straight-forward case of drowning, however—he was also electrocuted. Authorities say the family had just plugged in their...

Freak Lagoon Accident Electrocutes 11-Year-Old Girl

She died while swimming and playing on an inflatable raft

(Newser) - Life vest, check. Adult supervision, check. She should have been safe, but a freak accident in a New Jersey lagoon took the life of an 11-year-old girl over the weekend. Police say the girl was electrocuted while swimming and playing on an inflatable raft behind a friend’s home in...

After Electrocution Death, Coroner Says iPhones Should Carry Warning

British man dropped his in the tub

(Newser) - Dropping a phone in the bath while it is charging can be as deadly as chucking a plugged-in hairdryer in there, a coroner warned during an inquest into the death of a British man last December. Richard Bull, 32, was apparently using his iPhone in the bath when it slipped...

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>
Popular on Newser
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.