A Texas family says they are trying to "make sense of the senseless" in the tragic death of their 10-year-old daughter, who was electrocuted in their home. Greenlee Marie Buckley's mother says the girl, who loved animals, died while trying to rescue two kittens that had become trapped behind their dryer on Saturday night, People reports. Police say the family has told them they previously complained about electrical issues in the rented home in New Boston, around 20 miles west of Texarkana, though Chief Gary McCrary says it's "too early right now to start placing blame and responsibility." Police and power company investigators have visited the house, which the family had lived in for around 15 months.
Experts say that when a dryer gives off an electrical shock to the touch, it is a sign of one or more common but potentially lethal electrical issues, the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram reports. Greenlee's grieving parents say there's no reason their daughter should be gone. "Landlords need to be held accountable for the conditions of the homes that they let people live in," mother Shelby Roos tells KSLA. "All we want is a voice for our daughter who left us over a senseless act." Greenlee always "enjoyed helping those less fortunate than herself, and had always planned when she was older to become a veterinarian and to help rescue more animals," the family says in a GoFundMe campaign to honor her memory by helping animals in the community. (Read more Texas stories.)