Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project
Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Sep 22, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Board questions mental health effects of putting three students in 265 square feet
- Regents like the idea of low-cost housing for students at UCLA, but they're questioning what the residents of a proposed dorm would be getting for their money. The plans call for triple-occupancy rooms of 265 square feet, which would include three beds, desks, closets, and a refrigerator. Plus, somehow,...
Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Oct 21, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
Ex-UCLA Gynecologist Convicted of Sexual Abuse
Dr. James Heaps was found guilty on some counts, not guilty on others
The former UCLA gynecologist embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal was on Thursday convicted of some of the 21 counts he faced, which involved accusations from seven women. Dr. James Heaps, 65, was found guilty of five counts of sexually abusing female patients and not guilty on seven other...
With $0 Salary
Apr 6, 2022 1:53 PM CDT
UCLA Advertises Teaching Job With $0 Salary
It sought candidates with PhDs and extensive experience
- In what academics say is just one example of a much bigger problem, UCLA recently advertised an assistant adjunct professor position that required extensive qualifications in return for a salary of nothing. "Applicants must understand there will be no compensation for this position," said the ad on an...
Suspect Arrested After
UCLA Mass Shooting Threat
Feb 1, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Suspect Arrested After UCLA Mass Shooting Threat
Boulder police say Matthew Harris also threatened violence in that city
This story has been updated with news of Harris' arrest
. A former University of California, Los Angeles lecturer accused of threatening a mass shooting is now in custody. Police in Boulder, Colorado say Matthew Harris barricaded himself inside his home but was taken into custody peacefully after around three hours,...
iPhones of the Future
May Keep Tabs on
Your Mental Health
Sep 21, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
iPhones of the Future May Keep Tabs on Your Mental Health
Apple has teamed up with Biogen, UCLA to study depression, anxiety, cognitive decline
- We rely on our devices for practically everything these days, and Apple apparently hopes we'll soon check our iPhones to get a better handle on our mental health. The tech giant has previously teamed up with UCLA on mental health research, and with pharmaceuticals company Biogen on studying cognitive...
Mar 19, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
UCLA Coach Sentenced in Admissions Scandal
Jorge Salcedo, who collected $200K in bribes, told judge he couldn't afford his house
- A former UCLA men's soccer coach was sentenced to eight months behind bars Friday for pocketing $200,000 in bribes to help applicants get into the school as bogus athletic recruits. Jorge Salcedo told the judge that he joined in the college admissions bribery scheme because he was desperate...
Nia Dennis' 'Masterpiece'
Sparks a Race Discussion
Jan 30, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Nia Dennis' 'Masterpiece' Sparks a Race Discussion
UCLA gymnast goes viral (again) for a floor routine celebrating Black culture
- UCLA gymnast Nia Dennis is making a habit of going viral with her floor routines. In February, she did so with a Beyonce-inspired performance , notes CNN . But she's outdone herself with a new routine celebrating Black culture that has racked up more than 10 million views on Twitter . "...
Audit: UC Admitted
64 Students as 'Favors'
Sep 22, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
Audit: UC Admitted 64 Students as 'Favors'
State audit came in response to college admissions scandal
- A California state audit has found that the University of California wrongly admitted at least 64 wealthy students over the past six years as “favors to donors, family, and friends." The California State Auditor also found in the audit released Tuesday that campus staff falsely designated 22 of...
Suspended Prof Refused to
Alter Final Exam Amid Protests
Jun 10, 2020 7:13 AM CDT
Suspended Prof Refused to Alter Final Exam Amid Protests
Gordon Klein of UCLA is no fan of 'special treatment'
- A professor at UCLA for 39 years has been suspended—and is now receiving police protection—after refusing a request to alter final exams in response to the "traumas" of black students. Accounting lecturer Gordon Klein said he was only following his supervisor's orders when he rejected the...
Donald Trump Jr. Walks
Out of Book Launch
Nov 11, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Donald Trump Jr. Walks Out of Book Launch
He and girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle heckled—by the right
- Donald Trump Jr. is making the rounds to promote his new book,
and he may well have expected to encounter protesters—but the ones that forced him out of a book launch event Sunday were from the right, not the left. KTVU notes most of the anti-Trump protesters at...
Think the World Is Mean?
$20M Given to Find 'Antidote'
Sep 27, 2019 6:28 AM CDT
Think the World Is Mean? $20M Given to Find 'Antidote'
Thanks to philanthropic gift, UCLA sets up institute dedicated to promoting kindness
- Life can be rough, but UCLA hopes to offer a remedy. Live Science reports that, thanks to a $20 million gift from the Bedari Foundation, the university has set up the UCLA Bedari Kindness Institute. The institute will "take an interdisciplinary approach to understanding kindness—through evolutionary, biological, psychological,...
May 7, 2019 7:52 PM CDT
Don McLean Slams UCLA 'Morons' Over Award Fiasco
Singer blasts university after honor is announced, then rescinded
- The UCLA Student Alumni Association decided to present Don McLean with the George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement on May 17 in Los Angeles. But just hours after the 73-year-old singer announced Monday that he would be receiving the award, the honor was rescinded, the
the Most Joyous
in case you missed it
Jan 19, 2019 11:50 AM CST
Watch This Gymnast Score the Most Joyous Perfect 10
We're not worthy, Katelyn Ohashi
- Looking to start your weekend off with a feeling of pure joy, awe, and maybe even a little envy? This now-viral video out of UCLA Athletics should do the trick. NBC Los Angeles reports on the routine that Bruins gymnast Katelyn Ohashi performed last weekend at the Collegiate Challenge in...
LiAngelo Ball Says It
Wasn't His Choice
to Thank Trump
Dec 13, 2017 4:41 PM CST
LiAngelo Ball Says It Wasn't His Choice to Thank Trump
Now the basketball player is trading UCLA for Lithuania
- Former UCLA basketball player LiAngelo Ball says he wouldn't have thanked President Trump following his shoplifting arrest in China had UCLA not asked him to do so,
reports. "They wanted to hear that, and he tweeted about it before my speech so I had to add...
LaVar Ball Pulls
Son Out of UCLA
Dec 4, 2017 6:10 PM CST
LaVar Ball Pulls Son Out of UCLA
The celebrity dad says he can get his son ready for the NBA draft better anyway
- LaVar Ball doesn't like people messing with his sons: not Donald Trump, not NBA superstars, and not UCLA. Ball, the father of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, says he is pulling his second oldest, LiAngelo, out of UCLA in response to the school suspending him for shoplifting in...
'IT WAS ME': Trump Ramps Up
Feud With UCLA Father
Nov 22, 2017 6:09 AM CST
'IT WAS ME': Trump Ramps Up Feud With UCLA Father
Calls LaVar Ball 'ungrateful fool,' takes credit for getting his son freed by China
- The father of one of the UCLA basketball players freed by China after shoplifting maintains that he's not in a feud with President Trump over the incident, but the president may feel differently. Trump fired off two tweets Wednesday morning critical of LaVar Ball, at times referring to Ball...
White House Walks Back
Trump Tweet on UCLA Players
Nov 21, 2017 2:41 AM CST
White House Walks Back Trump Tweet on UCLA Players
UCLA player's father says he's likelier to thank Xi
- President Trump was merely making a "rhetorical response" to criticism when he said he should have left three UCLA basketball players in a Chinese jail , according to White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. She said Monday that Trump was "happy to intervene" in the case and had...
Trump: 'I Should Have
Left Them in Jail!'
Nov 20, 2017 1:41 AM CST
Trump: 'I Should Have Left Them in Jail!'
President chastises father of UCLA player arrested in China
- President Trump is singing a different tune after helping three UCLA athletes who were arrested for shoplifting in China come home. “I should have left them in jail!” the president tweeted Sunday in response to an interview in which one of the players' fathers downplayed his role in...
UCLA Basketball Players Admit
Shoplifting, Thank Trump
Nov 15, 2017 2:43 PM CST
UCLA Basketball Players Admit Shoplifting, Thank Trump
They apologized, have been suspended
- Three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China admitted to the crime and apologized before coach Steve Alford announced they were being suspended indefinitely. LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley were described as "good young men" by Alford at a campus news conference on Wednesday, the AP...
Basketball Players Head Home
After Week's Detention in China
Nov 14, 2017 9:39 AM CST
Basketball Players Head Home After Week's Detention in China
Resolution of case against them isn't clear
- The three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting while on a team trip to China flew back home Tuesday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. A source confirms to ESPN they are due back in the US Tuesday. Hours before freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill, and Cody Riley were spotted by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.