Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,245,148+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Least Someone's Getting Busy During Quarantine
Giant pandas in Hong Kong zoo mate naturally for first time after a decade of trying
- The story is a little more involved than the headline implies, but the
New York Times
neatly wraps up what just went down in Hong Kong: "Some Giant Pandas Had Sex." Per CNN , the Ocean Park zoo in Hong Kong has been shut down for a coronavirus quarantine...
Giant Pandas Getting National Park That Dwarfs Yellowstone
Giant Panda National Park to be built in China by 2023
- China's giant pandas will soon have a national park over twice the size of Yellowstone in which to mingle and mate, the AP reports. China's foreign ministry announced Thursday that the Bank of China will provide at least $1.5 billion toward Giant Panda National Park. The conservation...
France Sees First-Ever Panda Birth, Death
Only one of Huan Huan's twins survived
- Chinese giant panda experts and French zookeepers are working to ensure a panda cub's survival after its twin died during the first-ever birth of the rare animal in France. Images released Saturday by the Beauval Zoo south of Paris show mother Huan Huan enveloping the cub and zoo handlers...
Mystery Solved: Why Pandas Are Black and White
Patches are used for camouflage and communication, scientists say
- It's a question that has bedeviled kindergartners, and now apparently PhDs have the answer: Why do giant pandas have spots? To find out, a team of California researchers compared the black and white regions of the panda's fur to more than 200 other species, and then analyzed those...
World's Oldest Captive Panda Has Died
Jia Jia was 38, thought to be oldest ever held in captivity
- A Hong Kong theme park says the world's oldest-ever panda in captivity has been euthanized because her health was deteriorating, reports the AP . Ocean Park says a veterinarian euthanized 38-year-old Jia Jia on Sunday to prevent further suffering and for ethical reasons. Guinness World Records recognized Jia Jia as...
Pandas Now Off the Endangered List
They're now listed as 'vulnerable,' WWF says
- The animal on the World Wildlife Fund 's logo now represents a rare and very welcome environmental success story. The group says the giant panda has been bumped down a notch in the Red List of Threatened Species and is now classed as "vulnerable" instead of "endangered,...
Reports of Panda's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
And he's got the newspapers to prove it
- The Taipei Zoo is offering a "proof of life" photo in an attempt to debunk rumors that a prized panda died recently, the AP reports. Photos released by the zoo this week show 11-year-old Tuan Tuan looking at newspapers laid out in front of his inner enclosure to prove...
Internet Goes Crazy Over Hidden Panda Image
Can you spot it?
- There was the question of when Cheryl's birthday is . The dress that was either white and gold or blue and black . And now the Internet is going insane over a hidden panda, BuzzFeed reports. Illustrator Gergely Dudás, pen name Dudolf, shared an image on Facebook last Wednesday showing...
National Zoo's Baby Panda Is No Shrinking Violet
Bei Bei is performing well ahead of his public debut
- If the youngest giant panda cub at the National Zoo is stressed out about appearing in front of crowds for the first time, he isn't showing it. Keepers were expecting Bei Bei to squawk and squirm during an audience with a small media contingent Monday. Instead, he quickly fell...
We Now Know the Panda Cub's Gender
Surviving panda twin is a male: National Zoo
- The National Zoo's panda parents, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, have a son. The zoo announced this morning that the surviving panda cub is male and the son of the zoo's male panda, Tian Tian. Mei Xiang gave birth to fraternal twins Saturday, but the smaller cub—also...
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Mei Xiang loses the smaller of her two babies
- A heartbreaking update to the story of Mei Xiang's panda cubs: The smaller twin born to the National Zoo panda has died. The new mom had started ignoring the smaller cub in favor of nursing the bigger one, and the zoo tweeted today, "We are sad to report...
Panda Mom Is Ignoring One of Her New Cubs
Smaller cub in care of vets is having digestive issues
- Workers at the National Zoo are continuing to care for one panda cub while the other is safely in the care of its mother—but it appears Mei Xiang has decided she is "not a willing participant" in the zoo's swapping program , reports
. Since the twin cubs'...
How National Zoo Is Keeping Its Panda Twins Alive
Officials cautiously optimistic about cubs' future, still waiting to exhale
- Panda mama Mei Xiang gave birth to a rare healthy cub , then a surprise twin , on Saturday evening, leaving officials at the Smithsonian's National Zoo giddy—perhaps even moreso because the twins are off to a good start thanks to new techniques in panda care. Their sex won't...
Surprise! Panda Actually Gave Birth to Twins
Mei Xiang pulls a fast one on the National Zoo
- The National Zoo's blessed event yesterday has multiplied by two, with the unexpected addition of a second panda cub, reports the
Washington Post .
Zoo officials were still celebrating the birth of Mei Xiang's first cub yesterday at 5:34pm—with a rep crowing that the zoo was "...
Guy Wins $83K Over Panda Bite
Officials chased a wild bear onto man's lawn in northwestern China
- Pandas may prefer their meals in the form of bamboo, but that doesn't mean their bite is toothless. A man in China recently received a harsh reminder of that after a wild panda bit his leg after authorities pursued the critter onto his lawn, reports AFP via Yahoo . The...
Circus 'Pandas' Were Really Painted Dogs
Chow chow pups were being used in traveling circus
- With more paint and a couple of horses, they could have had zebras, too: A pair of chow chow puppies dyed black and white looked enough like pandas to fool visitors to a traveling circus near Milan, officials in Italy say. Forestry officials—who investigate many animal cases in Italy—...
Even Giant Pandas Need Dental Work
Bai Yun's chipped lower canine was repaired on Wednesday
- One of the most reproductively successful pandas in captivity is no longer stuck with a chipped tooth. On Wednesday, the San Diego Zoo's giant female panda Bai Yun underwent a procedure to fix a chipped lower canine tooth that could have seriously cut down her bamboo consumption, the
Panda Faked Pregnancy for Extra Bamboo
Research center calls off birth broadcast
- A panda research center in China called off what would have been the first-ever live broadcast of a panda birth after determining that panda Ai Hin wasn't pregnant—just crafty. Pregnant pandas at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding get special treatment, and while "phantom pregnancies"...
Baby Panda, Meet Your Mom
Yuan Yuan gets acquainted with Yuan Zai for first time
- Having a rough day? Allow little Yuan Zai to help. A video from the Taipei Zoo shows the panda cub being reunited with mom Yuan Yuan for the first time since his birth on July 7, reports stuff.co.nz . The Huffington Post has more photos. (The UK is on...
Red Panda Escapes From National Zoo
Rusty found in DC neighborhood, thanks to Twitter
- A red panda from the National Zoo in DC went missing last night, sparking a social media-driven panda-hunt after the zoo tweeted , "We are looking for a missing red panda, a male named Rusty. He was last seen at 6 p.m. last night." @NationalZoo continued to provide...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Widow: Face-Mask Killing 'Destroyed' My Family
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
Thanks, COVID-19: A US Tradition Bites the Dust
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.