Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Famously Old
Giant Panda Is
Jul 21, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
A Famously Old Giant Panda Is Euthanized
At 35, An An was oldest male panda in captivity
- The oldest-ever male giant panda in captivity has died at age 35 at a Hong Kong theme park after his health deteriorated. An An lived most of his life at Ocean Park after he and a female panda were gifted to Hong Kong by China in 1999, reports the AP...
A Big Panda Milestone
Is Marked With Cake
Apr 18, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
A Big Panda Milestone Is Marked With Cake
Over the weekend, a celebration of 50 years of pandas at the National Zoo
- The "cake" was made from frozen fruit juice, sweet potatoes, carrots, and sugar cane, and it lasted about 15 minutes once giant panda mama Mei Xiang and her cub Xiao Qi Ji got hold of it. The National Zoo's most famous tenants had an enthusiastic breakfast Saturday in...
Giant Panda Gives Birth to
Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Sep 6, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Giant Panda Gives Birth to Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Hua Zuiba has already had four cubs with Bing Xing
- The world just got a few ounces cuter. Hua Zuiba, a giant panda on loan to the Madrid Zoo from China, gave birth Monday morning to twins. Hua Zuiba and Bing Xing, the father of the twins, have four other adorable offspring, including another pair of twins, per the AP...
Researchers Figure Out Why
Pandas Like Horse Manure
Dec 10, 2020 2:17 PM CST
Researchers Figure Out Why Pandas Like Horse Manure
Compounds in dung seem to keep them warm in chilly weather, study suggests
- It isn't an Earth-shattering revelation, but a Chinese study has uncovered what could be chilling news for some: pandas appear to smear themselves with feces to stay warm. According to the
, scientists who were curious about a behavior seen in some giant pandas set up cameras in 2016...
Cub' at DC's
Aug 22, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Giant Panda Delivers 'Miracle' Cub' at DC's National Zoo
Mei Xiang, 22, is oldest giant panda in US to give birth, also first to do so in US using frozen semen
- "A precious giant panda cub has arrived!" That was the excited tweet Friday evening from the National Zoo in Washington, DC, announcing the birth of what the
calls a "miracle cub." Giant panda Mei Xiang, 22, delivered a "wonderful, wiggly cub" at 6:...
At Least Someone's Getting
Busy During Quarantine
Apr 7, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
At Least Someone's Getting Busy During Quarantine
Giant pandas in Hong Kong zoo mate naturally for first time after a decade of trying
- The story is a little more involved than the headline implies, but the
New York Times
neatly wraps up what just went down in Hong Kong: "Some Giant Pandas Had Sex." Per CNN , the Ocean Park zoo in Hong Kong has been shut down for a coronavirus quarantine...
Giant Pandas Getting
National Park That
Mar 9, 2018 4:25 PM CST
Giant Pandas Getting National Park That Dwarfs Yellowstone
Giant Panda National Park to be built in China by 2023
- China's giant pandas will soon have a national park over twice the size of Yellowstone in which to mingle and mate, the AP reports. China's foreign ministry announced Thursday that the Bank of China will provide at least $1.5 billion toward Giant Panda National Park. The conservation...
France Sees First-Ever
Panda Birth, Death
Aug 5, 2017 7:58 AM CDT
France Sees First-Ever Panda Birth, Death
Only one of Huan Huan's twins survived
- Chinese giant panda experts and French zookeepers are working to ensure a panda cub's survival after its twin died during the first-ever birth of the rare animal in France. Images released Saturday by the Beauval Zoo south of Paris show mother Huan Huan enveloping the cub and zoo handlers...
Why Pandas Are
Black and White
Mar 6, 2017 12:16 PM CST
Mystery Solved: Why Pandas Are Black and White
Patches are used for camouflage and communication, scientists say
- It's a question that has bedeviled kindergartners, and now apparently PhDs have the answer: Why do giant pandas have spots? To find out, a team of California researchers compared the black and white regions of the panda's fur to more than 200 other species, and then analyzed those...
Oct 16, 2016 12:58 PM CDT
World's Oldest Captive Panda Has Died
Jia Jia was 38, thought to be oldest ever held in captivity
- A Hong Kong theme park says the world's oldest-ever panda in captivity has been euthanized because her health was deteriorating, reports the AP . Ocean Park says a veterinarian euthanized 38-year-old Jia Jia on Sunday to prevent further suffering and for ethical reasons. Guinness World Records recognized Jia Jia as...
Pandas Now Off
the Endangered List
Sep 5, 2016 2:29 AM CDT
Pandas Now Off the Endangered List
They're now listed as 'vulnerable,' WWF says
- The animal on the World Wildlife Fund 's logo now represents a rare and very welcome environmental success story. The group says the giant panda has been bumped down a notch in the Red List of Threatened Species and is now classed as "vulnerable" instead of "endangered,...
Reports of Panda's
Demise Have Been
May 18, 2016 11:50 AM CDT
Reports of Panda's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
And he's got the newspapers to prove it
- The Taipei Zoo is offering a "proof of life" photo in an attempt to debunk rumors that a prized panda died recently, the AP reports. Photos released by the zoo this week show 11-year-old Tuan Tuan looking at newspapers laid out in front of his inner enclosure to prove...
Internet Goes Crazy Over Hidden Panda Image
Dec 23, 2015 1:21 PM CST
Internet Goes Crazy Over Hidden Panda Image
Can you spot it?
- There was the question of when Cheryl's birthday is . The dress that was either white and gold or blue and black . And now the Internet is going insane over a hidden panda, BuzzFeed reports. Illustrator Gergely Dudás, pen name Dudolf, shared an image on Facebook last Wednesday showing...
National Zoo's Baby Panda
Is No Shrinking Violet
Dec 16, 2015 11:14 AM CST
National Zoo's Baby Panda Is No Shrinking Violet
Bei Bei is performing well ahead of his public debut
- If the youngest giant panda cub at the National Zoo is stressed out about appearing in front of crowds for the first time, he isn't showing it. Keepers were expecting Bei Bei to squawk and squirm during an audience with a small media contingent Monday. Instead, he quickly fell...
We Now Know the
Panda Cub's Gender
Aug 28, 2015 9:34 AM CDT
We Now Know the Panda Cub's Gender
Surviving panda twin is a male: National Zoo
- The National Zoo's panda parents, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, have a son. The zoo announced this morning that the surviving panda cub is male and the son of the zoo's male panda, Tian Tian. Mei Xiang gave birth to fraternal twins Saturday, but the smaller cub—also...
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Aug 26, 2015 3:38 PM CDT
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Mei Xiang loses the smaller of her two babies
- A heartbreaking update to the story of Mei Xiang's panda cubs: The smaller twin born to the National Zoo panda has died. The new mom had started ignoring the smaller cub in favor of nursing the bigger one, and the zoo tweeted today, "We are sad to report...
Panda Mom Is Ignoring
One of Her New Cubs
Aug 26, 2015 9:20 AM CDT
Panda Mom Is Ignoring One of Her New Cubs
Smaller cub in care of vets is having digestive issues
- Workers at the National Zoo are continuing to care for one panda cub while the other is safely in the care of its mother—but it appears Mei Xiang has decided she is "not a willing participant" in the zoo's swapping program , reports
. Since the twin cubs'...
How National Zoo
Is Keeping Its
Panda Twins Alive
Aug 24, 2015 6:20 AM CDT
How National Zoo Is Keeping Its Panda Twins Alive
Officials cautiously optimistic about cubs' future, still waiting to exhale
- Panda mama Mei Xiang gave birth to a rare healthy cub , then a surprise twin , on Saturday evening, leaving officials at the Smithsonian's National Zoo giddy—perhaps even moreso because the twins are off to a good start thanks to new techniques in panda care. Their sex won't...
Birth to Twins
Aug 23, 2015 8:44 AM CDT
Surprise! Panda Actually Gave Birth to Twins
Mei Xiang pulls a fast one on the National Zoo
- The National Zoo's blessed event yesterday has multiplied by two, with the unexpected addition of a second panda cub, reports the
Washington Post .
Zoo officials were still celebrating the birth of Mei Xiang's first cub yesterday at 5:34pm—with a rep crowing that the zoo was "...
Mar 16, 2015 12:01 PM CDT
Guy Wins $83K Over Panda Bite
Officials chased a wild bear onto man's lawn in northwestern China
- Pandas may prefer their meals in the form of bamboo, but that doesn't mean their bite is toothless. A man in China recently received a harsh reminder of that after a wild panda bit his leg after authorities pursued the critter onto his lawn, reports AFP via Yahoo . The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.