Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep
Empathy' for 9/11 Families
Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep Empathy' for 9/11 Families
But veteran golfer will still play in LIV Golf pro league funded by Saudi Arabia
- Phil Mickelson has the "deepest sympathy" for the families of those killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks—but he'll continue to play in the professional golf league lavishly funded by the Saudi Arabian government 's Public Investment Fund. The golfer was among several pros called out by...
9/11 Families Express
Outrage at US Players
in Saudi League
Jun 11, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
9/11 Families Express Outrage at US Players in Saudi League
LIV's first tournament title pays $4M to Charl Schwartzel
- The new golf league backed by Saudi Arabia crowned its first champion Saturday in the richest tournament in the sport's history, even as outrage about Americans' participation deepened. The organization that represents families and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks objected to the US players signing up for the...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
After Barely Playing,
Tiger Woods Wins
$8M Golf Prize
Mar 3, 2022 10:45 AM CST
After Barely Playing, Tiger Woods Wins $8M Golf Prize
He's the first winner of the Player Impact Program
- Last year wasn't exactly a banner year for Tiger Woods' golfing career—he spent much of 2021 learning to walk again after a February rollover crash mangled his right leg so badly that doctors considered amputation. His only tournament of the year was the PNC Championship exhibition father/son challenge...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
Phil Mickelson Just
Made Golf History
May 23, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Phil Mickelson Just Made Golf History
He wins PGA Championship at age 50, oldest player to claim a major
- Phil Mickelson went into the final round of the PGA Championship Sunday with the lead and a chance to make golf history. He did just that, per ESPN . The 50-year-old won the tournament at Ocean Course in South Carolina to become the oldest player to win one of golf's...
Mickelson Could Make
May 23, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Mickelson Could Make History Sunday
A roller coaster day at the PGA Championship could lead to history books
- Phil Mickelson could have done without the thrills Saturday in the PGA Championship. Losing a five-shot lead in a span of five holes on the back nine. One tee shot into the water, another that ended up under a cart tire. It was all part of a wildly entertaining day...
There Was $9M on the Line,
and One Golfer Got It All
Nov 24, 2018 5:00 AM CST
There Was $9M on the Line, and One Golfer Got It All
Phil Mickelson wins match against Tiger Woods with birdie on 22nd hole
- It was billed as golf's first pay-per-view broadcast: Phil Mickelson vs. Tiger Woods in a $9 million made-for-TV match Friday in Las Vegas. Only 700 invited guests were allowed to watch, and what they saw was Mickelson win on the 22nd hole. Mickelson was 1 up after 16 holes...
Tiger Woods, Mickelson
Will Play 1-on-1 for $10M
Jul 6, 2018 1:19 PM CDT
Tiger Woods, Mickelson Will Play 1-on-1 for $10M
Pair reportedly will face off in a winner-take-all 'death match'
- A "$10 million winner-take-all, 18-hole death match" is how it's being billed by Golf.com , and it's got the sport's two highest-profile "frenemies" vying for the kitty. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are said to be gearing up for the showdown, which Mickelson notes was...
Gets Into Bizarre
Trouble at US Open
Jun 17, 2018 2:33 AM CDT
Phil Mickelson Gets Into Bizarre Trouble at US Open
Golfer penalized after swatting a moving ball at Shinnecock
- Phil Mickelson intentionally hit a moving putt on the 13th green Saturday, then asked the USGA to explain the ruling after hearing suggestions that he should be disqualified from the US Open. His bogey putt from above the hole ran by the cup and was headed down a slope when...
Who Beat Out LeBron for
Most Famous Athlete
May 31, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Who Beat Out LeBron for Most Famous Athlete
That would be Cristiano Ronaldo, per ESPN ranking
- Tom Brady who? The all-star NFL quarterback might be a household name in the US, but he doesn't even make the top 20 of ESPN's list of the most famous athletes in the world, reports the
. The 10 most well-known athletes, based on social media followers,...
Ryder Cup Win Was
Oct 3, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Ryder Cup Win Was 'American Masterpiece'
US keeping cup for first time since 2008
- Patrick Reed shook his fists with fury for every big putt he made. Phil Mickelson leaped higher than when he won his first Masters. Ryan Moore delivered the final point in this American masterpiece Sunday at the Ryder Cup. The 17-11 victory over Europe at the Hazeltine Golf Club in...
$1M on Insider
May 19, 2016 11:01 AM CDT
Phil Mickelson Made Nearly $1M on Insider Trading: SEC
Commission names pro golfer in federal lawsuit
- The Securities and Exchange Commission is filing a complaint against professional golfer Phil Mickelson related to insider trading, the AP reports. The SEC says gambler William Walters received tips and business information about Dean Foods Co. from Thomas Davis, former head of Dean Foods, between 2008 and 2012. The SEC...
Carl Icahn Face
May 31, 2014 5:15 PM CDT
Phil Mickelson, Carl Icahn Face Trading Probe
Sports bettor Billy Walters also caught up in investigation
- An unusual trio of public figures is raising federal eyebrows in an insider-trading investigation. The FBI and SEC are looking into whether billionaire investor Carl Icahn might have passed information to Billy Walters, an expert bettor on sports, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Officials wonder if, in turn, Walters may...
in British Open Win
Jul 21, 2013 11:53 AM CDT
Mickelson Dazzles in British Open Win
Comes from 5 strokes behind in fantastic final round
- Phil Mickelson has won the British Open with a spectacular finish. Mickelson shot a 5-under 66 today to match the best round of the tournament and win his first claret jug. The celebration began while there were still four groups on the course. Lefty birdied four of the last six...
Sets up Masters
Apr 8, 2012 2:03 AM CDT
Mickelson Surge Sets up Masters Showdown Today
Peter Hanson has 1-stroke lead going into last day of tourney
- A thrilling birdie-battle on the back nine yesterday between crowd-favorite Phil Mickelson and little-known Swede Peter Hanson has the Masters posed for an epic final-day showdown, reports ESPN . Mickelson hit a 20-foot putt for an eagle on the 12th and an amazing shot on the 15th that had the crowds...
N. Ireland's Clarke
Hangs on to Win
Jul 17, 2011 12:17 PM CDT
N. Ireland's Clarke Hangs on to Win British Open
Phil Mickelson had given chase
- On another windy, wet and wild day at the British Open, Darren Clarke endured to win the British Open by three shots and give Northern Ireland another victory in one of golf's signature events. Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell have won the last two U.S. Opens. Now, it'...
Tiger Still No. 1, but
Jul 22, 2010 4:17 PM CDT
Tiger Still No. 1, but Endorsements Fall
... to a measly $70 million
- Tiger Woods remains the nation's top-paid athlete in the
rankings, even though
notes his endorsements fell by $22 million and sales of his video game are sluggish . The top 5:
$90.5 million (including $70 million in endorsements).
$61.7 million ($52
Tiger, Lefty, Ernie
Fall Short at
Jun 21, 2010 6:00 AM CDT
Tiger, Lefty, Ernie Fall Short at US Open
Graeme McDowell takes top honors
- When Phil Mickelson made his birdie attempt from off the green on the opening hole yesterday, the gallery roared its approval. The fans were prepared to see Lefty charge. They did the same every time Ernie Els or Tiger Woods made a move, creating a rumble of energy through Pebble...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.