Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Student Walkout Disrupts
Hillary Clinton's Peace Lecture
Nov 2, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Student Walkout Disrupts Hillary Clinton's Peace Lecture
Protesters say Columbia shamed students who backed criticism of government
- A protest by students over what they perceive as Columbia University's participation in shaming those who demonstrated in support of Palestinians interrupted a lecture by Hillary Clinton. About 30 of the nearly 300 attendees walked out Wednesday afternoon during the former secretary of state's talk on women's...
Another Law Firm Rescinds
Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Oct 18, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Another Law Firm Rescinds Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Davis Polk slams law students whose groups signed statements condemning Israel
- An elite law firm has withdrawn job offers to three law students from Harvard and Columbia, saying those students were part of groups that signed public statements regarding the Israel-Hamas war. "These statements are simply contrary to our firm's values," so "rescinding these offers was appropriate...
These Colleges Offer the
Most Bang for Your Buck
Sep 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
These Colleges Offer the Most Bang for Your Buck
'WSJ'/College Pulse rank higher-ed institutions based on their value
- Picking a college or university can be a daunting task—especially when students and their parents have to fork over so much money to attend. Some higher-ed institutions offer more bang for the buck, however. Using research from the Third Way public policy think tank, the
Wall Street Journal
Allowed to Keep
Working at Columbia
Sep 17, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
After Arrest, OB-GYN Was Allowed to Keep Working at Columbia
Robert Hadden got 20 years for abusing women, but it's Ivy League's role that's raising eyebrows
- In July, OB-GYN Robert Hadden was sentenced to 20 years behind bars after being convicted of federal sexual abuse charges, with hundreds of victims reportedly left in his wake. A disturbing new deep dive from ProPublica , however, reveals that the prison sentence came despite, not thanks to, Hadden's employer...
Here Are the
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Colleges in the US
Princeton University is No. 1, per new 'WSJ'/College Pulse rankings
Wall Street Journal
is out with its annual college rankings , prepared in conjunction this year with College Pulse, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, an Ivy League takes the top spot. Princeton University is No. 1, and the
says that instructors, a rigorous curriculum, and ample resources all play a part...
Columbia University Makes
a Big Move on the SATs
Mar 4, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Columbia University Makes a Big Move on the SATs
Ivy League school announces it's keeping its test-optional policy without time limits for admissions
- During the peak of the pandemic, many schools around the nation, including Ivy Leagues, suspended their requirements that applicants submit SAT and ACT scores to be considered for admission. Now, one Ivy League might be making that move permanent. NBC New York reports that Manhattan's Columbia University is now...
Columbia Falls Hard Amid
'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Sep 13, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Columbia Falls Hard Amid 'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Ivy League school drops from No. 2 to No. 18 on 'US News' list that critics say is easily manipulated
US News & World Report
's annual college rankings dropped on Monday, and one university in particular dropped significantly: New York City's Columbia, which fell from the No. 2 spot it held last year to No. 18—back to a spot it hadn't seen in more than 30...
Here Are the Best, Worst
Colleges for Free Speech
Sep 8, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Colleges for Free Speech
Per Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, 3 Ivy League schools are in bottom 10
- Students usually head off to college excited to open their minds, on campuses where academic freedom is said to be valued and the exchange of ideas paramount. However, per Greg Lukianoff, CEO of the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, free speech "has gotten far worse in the last...
Chair Suspended Over
'Freak of Nature' Tweet
About Black Model
Feb 24, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Columbia Psychiatry Chair Suspended Over 'Freak of Nature' Tweet About Black Model
Jeffrey Lieberman's tweet called racist
- The chair of Columbia University's psychiatry department was suspended Wednesday after a tweet describing a dark-skinned model as either "a work of art or freak of nature." Jeffrey Lieberman on Monday retweeted a photo of model Nyakim Gatwech, who is of South Sudanese descent, that included the...
Cops: Gang Member Fatally
Stabbed Columbia Student
Dec 4, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Cops: Gang Member Fatally Stabbed Columbia Student
Davide Giri, 30, died after attack in same park where Tessa Majors was killed; suspect in custody
- A graduate student at Columbia University was stabbed to death Thursday night in New York City's Morningside Park, the same park where Barnard College student Tessa Majors was fatally stabbed almost two years ago to the day. The
New York Times
reports that Davide Giri, 30, was about two...
'Gold Mine' for Schools
Is Misery for Grad Students
Jul 11, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
'Gold Mine' for Schools Is Misery for Grad Students
Wall Street Journal looks at how elite programs saddle students with lifelong debt
- Congratulations, you've been accepted to Columbia University's film program. Welcome to your lifetime of debt. That's not quite the greeting new grad students receive, but it ends up being the unwelcome reality for all too many, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The newspaper takes a lengthy look...
Earliest Ever Cherry Blossoms
Come With a Warning
Mar 30, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Earliest Ever Cherry Blossoms Come With a Warning
Trends in Japan, Washington, DC, show impact from climate change
- Japan's cherry blossoms have hit their earliest peak in more than 1,200 years, in a rather gorgeous sign of a devastating problem: ongoing climate change. Emperors, monks, and governors have kept records on cherry blooms since the 8th century, making it "incredibly valuable for climate change research,...
Senator Calls Columbia's
Mar 16, 2021 7:48 PM CDT
Senator Calls Columbia's Multicultural Graduation Ceremonies 'Segregation'
University says Tom Cotton is misrepresenting longstanding ceremonies started by students
- Republican Sen. Tom Cotton caused an uproar Tuesday by blasting the multicultural graduation ceremonies offered by Columbia University as "segregation." He was apparently outraged by a Fox story that said the university would host "six separate graduation ceremonies based on income level, race, ethnicities." Cotton and...
Sep 16, 2020 4:30 AM CDT
Citing 'Offensive Behavior,' Columbia Marching Band Disbands Itself
It disbands due to 'history riddled with offensive behavior'
- Columbia University's band has disbanded itself due to years of having "maintained a club structure founded on the basis of racism, cultural oppression, misogyny and sexual harassment," the band says in a statement announcing the move. Per the announcement, a virtual meeting was held Saturday "to...
Trump: My Drug
Regimen Has Changed
May 24, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Trump: My Drug Regimen Has Changed
The president talks about his hydroxychloroquine use in a wide-ranging interview
- President Trump has apparently said goodbye to hydroxychloroquine. Appearing on the Sinclair Broadcast Group program
Full Measure with Sharyl Attkisson
, Trump said his regimen on the controversial drug is complete: "Finished, just finished," he said in the interview that aired Sunday, per
. "And by the...
Andrew Yang's Wife: 'Pervy'
Doctor Sexually Assaulted Me
Jan 17, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Andrew Yang's Wife: 'Pervy' Doctor Sexually Assaulted Me
Husband says victims 'deserve our belief, support, and protection'
- Andrew Yang's wife is sharing her story of sexual assault, one that's pushed her to join a lawsuit against Columbia University and former OB-GYN Robert Hadden. Evelyn Yang says she was seven months pregnant with her first child in 2012 when "pervy" Hadden proceeded to "undress...
Here's a Way to
Stave Off Dementia
Nov 16, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Here's a Way to Stave Off Dementia
Illiterate people are nearly 3 times as likely to suffer from it
- Good thing you're reading this—it might help keep dementia at bay. A new Columbia University study finds that illiterate people are nearly three times as likely to suffer from dementia, CNN reports. Scientists reached this conclusion after visiting 983 people over age 65 in the Washington Heights area...
Graffiti at Prof's Office Was So
Horrible, 'I Almost Passed Out'
Nov 30, 2018 9:05 AM CST
Graffiti at Prof's Office Was So Horrible, 'I Almost Passed Out'
NYPD investigating possible hate crime at Columbia University
- "I opened the outer door and almost passed out." It was then that Columbia University professor Elizabeth Midlarsky saw the two large swastikas spray-painted in red on the walls of her office (photo here ), along with an offensive term for Jewish people. Wednesday's scene was deja...
10 Best Colleges for the Money
Oct 24, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
10 Best Colleges for the Money
MIT tops the list
- If you're going to fork over close to $50,000 a year to go to college—the top-end average for tuition, room, and board at a four-year school—you want the best ROI on your money. WalletHub looked at close to 1,000 of America's higher-education venues, examining...
College' Is Named
Sep 7, 2018 12:17 PM CDT
'America's Best College' Is Named
Harvard tops list in 'Wall Street Journal' rankings
- "Hidden gems" emerge in an annual ranking of US colleges, a collaboration between the
Wall Street Journal
and Times Higher Education, though the school taking the top spot for a second year in a row is far from hidden—it's called Harvard. Factoring in resources, engagement, environment, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.