Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ecuadorians on Oil Drilling
Near Uncontacted Tribes: Nope
Aug 21, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Ecuadorians on Oil Drilling Near Uncontacted Tribes: Nope
As presidential election heads to a runoff
- In a historic decision, Ecuadorians voted on Sunday against the oil drilling of a protected area in the Amazon that's home to two uncontacted tribes and serves as a biodiversity hotspot. With over 90% of the ballots counted by early Monday, around six in 10 Ecuadorians rejected the oil...
6 Foreigners in
7th Is Killed
Aug 11, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Ecuador Busts 6 Foreigners in Assassination; 7th Is Killed
6 Colombian nationals arrested in murder of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio
- Six people have been arrested in connection with the assassination of Fernando Villavicencio , the Ecuadorian presidential candidate gunned down Wednesday, and they're all Colombia nationals. Citing a police report, the AP reports the men were found hiding in a home in Quito, Ecuador's capital, and that cops also...
Assassinated in Ecuador
Aug 10, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Presidential Candidate Assassinated in Ecuador
Fernando Villavicencio shot dead at campaign event
- A campaign event in Ecuador took a horrific turn Wednesday when gunfire rang out and opposition candidate Fernando Villavicencio was assassinated. The former lawmaker was killed at a political rally for the Movimiento Construye (or Build Movement ) political party at a school north of the capital Quito ahead of...
Woman Who Revived
in Coffin Is Now Dead
Jun 18, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Woman Who Revived in Coffin Is Now Dead
Ecuador's Bella Montoya made international headlines
- A 76-year-old woman who had been declared dead and surprised her relatives by knocking on her coffin during her wake earlier this month has died after seven days in intensive care, her family said Saturday. Gilberto Barbera Montoya, the woman's son, told the AP that doctors at the state...
Woman Declared Dead, Then
Found Gasping for Air in Coffin
Jun 13, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Woman Declared Dead, Then Found Gasping for Air in Coffin
Woman's son says her condition remains dire
- An Ecuadorean woman was declared dead last week after suffering a stroke, only to be discovered hours later gasping for air in her coffin. Bella Montoya, 76, is now hospitalized in intensive care and the country's health ministry has opened an investigation into the matter, the BBC reports. Her...
Takes Drastic Step
to Stay in Power
May 17, 2023 4:09 PM CDT
Ecuador Leader Takes Drastic Step to Stay in Power
Guillermo Lasso deploys 'mutual death' mechanism
- Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso took a drastic step to stay in power Wednesday—he dissolved the country's legislature before it could vote to impeach him. Under a constitutional measure known as the muerte crazada, or "mutual death," Lasso disbanded the opposition-controlled National Assembly effective immediately, the
Earthquake Kills at Least 15,
Mar 18, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Earthquake Kills at Least 15, Traps Survivors
Downed power lines in Ecuador complicate rescue crews' searches
This story has been updated with the most recent death toll.
A strong earthquake shook southern Ecuador and northern Peru on Saturday, killing at least 15 people and injuring more than 445, trapping others under rubble, and sending rescue teams out into streets littered with debris and fallen power lines....
Town Elects Candidate
Who Was Shot to Death
Feb 7, 2023 4:45 PM CST
Town Elects Candidate Who Was Shot to Death
Mayoral winner was killed hours before the polls opened in Ecuador
- A candidate shot to death the day before elections in Ecuador was elected mayor of the city of Puerto López. Omar Menendez, 41, was killed Saturday by gunmen while he was working in an office with campaign staffers, the BBC reports; a teenager also died of gunshot wounds. Menendez'...
Gang Members Storm Hospital
in Ecuador Looking for Rival
Nov 28, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Gang Members Storm Hospital in Ecuador Looking for Rival
Seven men are arrested in brazen attack
- The BBC reports that gang violence in Ecuador has been on the upswing in last few years, and a hospital in Chone got an unwanted demonstration of that. Seven members of a gang stormed the facility looking for a member of a rival gang named "Dirty Face." The...
of Open War'
Nov 2, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
In Ecuador, a 'Declaration of Open War'
Murders of 5 police officers on Tuesday attributed to criminal gangs
- Five police officers were killed in the Ecuadorian city of Guayaquil on Tuesday, including two shot dead in their patrol car, in what some say is evidence of "criminal rule," per the
. Officials described nine attacks in the city in apparent response to the transfer of hundreds...
Dec 23, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Ecuador Announces Vaccine Mandate
Only exceptions will be for those with conditions that could be worsened by the dose
- Ecuador said Thursday that vaccination against the coronavirus will be mandatory for most citizens. Only those with a medical condition that could be complicated by vaccination will be exempt from the new rule, the government said in a statement. Those people must have documentation to prove it, according to the...
Prison Gang Battle Leaves
68 Dead in Ecuador
Nov 14, 2021 8:31 AM CST
Prison Gang Battle Leaves 68 Dead in Ecuador
At least 25 wounded in the coastal city of Guayaquil
- A gun battle between rival gangs inside Ecuador’s largest prison killed at least 68 inmates and wounded 25 on Saturday, while authorities said it took most of the day to regain control at the Litoral Penitentiary, per the AP . The killing erupted before dawn at the prison in the...
After Riot, Pope
Oct 3, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
After Riot, Pope Addresses Prison Life
'May God help to heal the wounds of crime that enslave the poorest,' Francis tells crowd
- Pope Francis on Sunday called for "more humane" prison life in the wake of bloodshed in a prison in Ecuador in which 118 people died and dozens more were injured. Francis told the public in St. Peter’s Square that he was "very pained" by what happened last...
Prison Riot Leaves 116 Dead,
5 of Them Beheaded
Sep 30, 2021 7:05 AM CDT
Prison Riot Leaves 116 Dead, 5 of Them Beheaded
It was Ecuador's worst ever
- At least 116 people were killed after the deadliest prison riot Ecuador has ever seen erupted Tuesday. Five of the dead were beheaded, and another 80 were hurt in the melee between rival gangs linked to international drug cartels at the Litoral Penitentiary in the coastal city of Guayaquil, the...
Julian Assange's Citizenship
Jul 28, 2021 12:11 AM CDT
Ecuador Revokes Julian Assange's Citizenship
Wikileaks founder's lawyer pledges to appeal
- Ecuador has revoked the citizenship of Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks who is currently in a British prison. Ecuador’s justice system formally notified the Australian of the nullity of his naturalization in a letter that came in response to a claim filed by the South American country’s...
Used as Movie Prop
Was the Real Thing
May 11, 2021 2:27 PM CDT
Shrunken Head Used as Movie Prop Was the Real Thing
It was borrowed from university for John Huston's dark 1979 comedy 'Wise Blood'
- A shrunken head used as a prop in a 1970s movie was made of real human skin, researchers have discovered. The head, known as a "tsantsa," was attached to a fake shrunken body in John Huston's dark 1979 comedy
reports. Tsantas, talismans made of...
'Guerrillas' Try to Sway
Election, Bird Blows It for Them
Feb 9, 2021 8:11 AM CST
'Guerrillas' Try to Sway Election, Bird Blows It for Them
Attempt to influence Ecuador polls with fake 'guerrilla' vid fails after bird guide hears bird call
- Nothing gets past an eagle-eyed, carefully listening ornithologist—not even a propaganda video meant to sway an election. Manuel Sanchez, a bird-watching guide based in Ecuador, was watching just such a video shared on social media, supposedly showing three armed left-wing men from Colombia's ELN guerrilla force deep in...
Kids' Zoom Class Went From
Normal to Criminal in Real Time
in case you missed it
Sep 12, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Kids' Zoom Class Went From Normal to Criminal in Real Time
One of their classmates got robbed during online class in Ambato, Ecuador
- A class of Ecuadorian students had their Zoom class go from perfectly normal to terrifying in an instant: Per the Daily Dot , a teacher was instructing a class of two dozen students online when, to the horror of the kids watching, one of their classmates got caught in the middle...
Chinese Fleet Raises
Alarms at the Galapagos
Jul 30, 2020 4:09 PM CDT
Chinese Fleet Raises Alarms at the Galapagos
260 fishing vessels are just outside the international boundary
- Some call it a floating city, a flotilla of 260 mostly Chinese fishing vessels near the Galapagos archipelago that is stirring diplomatic tension and raising worries about the threat to sharks, manta rays, and other vulnerable species in waters around the UNESCO world heritage site, per the AP . Yet the...
They Saved Their Species.
Their Reward: Homecoming
Jun 17, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
They Saved Their Species. Their Reward: Homecoming
Sex-crazed Diego among 15 giant tortoises returned to native island
- Mission accomplished for a group of 15 male giant tortoises credited with saving their species from extinction. The tortoises—part of a breeding program that began in the 1960s when there were just two males and 12 females left in the wild, per CNN —were returned to their home...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.