Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'It Doesn't Make Sense to Me
to Spend $100 on Candy'
Oct 28, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'It Doesn't Make Sense to Me to Spend $100 on Candy'
Ahead of Halloween trick-or-treaters, inflation for gum, other sweet treats reaches double digits
- Spooked by the high price of Halloween candy? There's not much relief in sight. For the second year in a row, US shoppers are seeing double-digit inflation in the candy aisle. Candy and gum prices are up an average of 13% this month compared to last October, more than...
Consumer Reports: Avoid
Those Purple and Pink Peeps
Apr 8, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Consumer Reports: Avoid Those Purple and Pink Peeps
Marshmallow candies look yummy, but Consumer Reports warns of their cancer-tied Red Dye No. 3
- If you're picking up some last-minute Peeps for the kids' Easter baskets this weekend, you might want to stick with the yellow variety. That's because although the pink and purple marshmallow-candy chicks and bunnies are definitely eye-catching, Consumer Reports has issued a warning that those versions of the...
Aldi's Easter Candy
Looks a Little Racy
Mar 16, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Aldi's Easter Candy Looks a Little Racy
'Sorry Aldi, but that ain't a bunny'
- With Easter just weeks away, stores are starting to stock sweets on their shelves. One supermarket chain's offering, however, has caused quite the online brouhaha. Earlier this month, a shopper at a UK Aldi picked up a bag of "marshmallow bunnies and chicks," according to the bag'...
On Path to
Med School, He
of Peeps' Instead
Jan 31, 2023 8:10 AM CST
On Path to Med School, He Became 'Father of Peeps' Instead
Ira 'Bob' Born, the brains behind mechanizing process for marshmallow chicks, is dead at 98
- Ira "Bob" Born, a candy company executive known as the "Father of Peeps" for mechanizing the process to make marshmallow chicks, has died. He was 98. Just Born Quality Confections, the 100-year-old family-owned company Born led for much of his life, said Monday that he died peacefully on...
Here's a Sweet Job Ad Even
Willy Wonka Couldn't Ignore
Aug 3, 2022 12:36 PM CDT
Here's a Sweet Job Ad Even Willy Wonka Couldn't Ignore
Canadian confectionary company offers $78K gig eating candy at home all day
- Looking to completely upend your career and start something new? As long as you don't already sit around on your couch all day devouring candy for close to 80 grand a year, we've got just the sweet gig for you. CNBC reports on the unusual LinkedIn job listing...
Candy Shortage Looms
Jul 29, 2022 9:29 AM CDT
Hershey: Halloween Candy Shortage Looms
Company blames supply chain issues
- Halloween could be haunted by candy shortages this year, Hershey warned Thursday. The company said supply chain issues including shortages of raw materials like cocoa meant it would fall short of meeting demand over Halloween—its busiest time of year—and the holiday season, reports Reuters . Chief executive Michele Buck...
Stack of 7 M&Ms
Takes the Cake
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Stack of 7 M&Ms Takes the Cake
Master balancer Ibrahim Sadeq of Iraq is latest to claim the world record
Will Cutbill had just eight and a half months to enjoy his Guinness World Record for the Tallest Stack of M&Ms at five. The Brit's achievement on Jan. 31, 2021 was the first of three times the world record would be broken in a 15-month span, per...
2 American Habits
Go in Opposite Directions
Mar 18, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
2 American Habits Go in Opposite Directions
We're smoking less but eating more sweets
- The pandemic seems to have had a real impact on two American habits: Americans are smoking less, but they're eating more sweets. The details:
US consumers spent way more than usual on sweets (gum, chocolate, etc.) in 2021, reports Axios . The National Confectioners Association puts the figure
He Solved the Clues,
Won a Candy Factory
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
He Solved the Clues, Won a Candy Factory
Wonka-inspired contest plays out for real, though winner won't take the factory
- Find the golden ticket, win a candy factory. It's not merely the fictional tale of Willy Wonka, however. As the
report, a similar contest just played out for real. David Klein, founder of the Jelly Belly Candy Company, and his partner Stephanie Thirtyacre, hid...
The Weird Correlation
Between S'mores and COVID
in case you missed it
Feb 7, 2021 7:20 AM CST
The Weird Correlation Between S'mores and COVID
Hershey found that in areas where virus cases have surged, so have runs on s'mores ingredients
- Public health officials, epidemiologists, and infectious disease experts are all front and center in looking out for emerging patterns on COVID-19. Now, add Hershey into the mix. The chocolate manufacturing giant has spotted its own trend during the pandemic involving a favorite campfire treat. That find: In areas of the...
Guy's Decision to Switch From
Red Licorice to Black Was Fatal
in case you missed it
Sep 27, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
Guy's Decision to Switch From Red Licorice to Black Was Fatal
Case study: Man's excessive licorice eating depleted his potassium levels
- A Massachusetts man's penchant for a polarizing candy apparently cost him his life. Per the
New York Post
and AP , the case study in the latest
New England Journal of Medicine
details what happened to the 54-year-old construction worker, who died after collapsing in a fast-food eatery last year....
Bet You Didn't
Candy to Sell Like This
Sep 24, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Bet You Didn't Expect Halloween Candy to Sell Like This
Early sales are up double-digits from last year despite pandemic
- The pandemic has apparently left Americans seeking comfort in chocolate because Halloween candy sales have spiked this year. Sales of seasonal chocolate and candy in the month ending Sept. 6 were up 13% compared to last year, when sales totalled $4.6 billion, while sales of Halloween chocolate specifically were...
Piece of Sweet 'Nostalgia'
Coming Back to Store Shelves
Jun 1, 2020 11:56 AM CDT
Piece of Sweet 'Nostalgia' Coming Back to Store Shelves
Necco Wafers candy has been revived by Spangler Candy Company
- Two years ago saw an abrupt ending to one of the country's most enduring candy brands, but we're about to see a revival. CNN Business announces the "sweet comeback" of Necco Wafers, the disk-shaped confection whose name was derived from the acronym of the New England Confectionery...
Candy Is Odd
Oct 30, 2019 8:13 AM CDT
10 States Whose Most Popular Halloween Candy Is Odd
3 states prefer ...saltwater taffy?
- It's no surprise that various regions around the US have different preferences when it comes to Halloween candy. What
surprising is that the most popular seasonal confections in certain states are, well, not typical. CBS News reports on a new interactive map by Candy.com , based on 12...
Feb 14, 2019 5:48 PM CST
Middle Schoolers Hospitalized After Valentine's Candy
It's not clear what type of treats were eaten in Atlanta incident
- School officials say 21 students from a middle school south of Atlanta have been taken to hospitals after eating candy and snacks on Valentine's Day, the AP reports. Authorities with the city of South Fulton say it appeared that the Sandtown Middle School students became ill after eating some...
Sorry, Sweethearts Fans:
Won't Be Sold
Jan 24, 2019 3:57 PM CST
Sorry, Sweethearts Fans: Iconic Candy Won't Be Sold This Year
But you can opt for other candy hearts
- Sweethearts—those chalky little candies with messages on them—won't be on store shelves this Valentine's Day, the AP reports. The New England Confectionary Co.—or Necco—had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last spring. Ohio-based Spangler Candy...
Michelle Obama Dishes
on Dubya Passing Her
Things at Funerals
Dec 17, 2018 8:18 AM CST
Michelle Obama Dishes on Dubya Passing Her Things at Funerals
Former first lady says George W. Bush had 'the sense of humor to bring me a mint'
- Another "cough drop moment" between Michelle Obama and George W. Bush? Per
, the former first lady made a stop in San Jose, Calif., on Friday for her book tour, and she addressed an apparent repeat of what took place at John McCain's memorial service in...
Storied US Candy Company's
Plant Unexpectedly Closes
Jul 25, 2018 12:43 PM CDT
Storied US Candy Company's Plant Unexpectedly Closes
Round Hill Investments announced Necco brands are being sold
- The owner of the company behind chalky, colorful confections such as Necco Wafers and Sweethearts has unexpectedly shut down operations at its Massachusetts plant and hasn't said if candy production will resume, reports the AP . The
reports Round Hill Investments announced Tuesday it is selling Necco brands...
A Bittersweet Ruling
Against KitKat in the EU
Jul 25, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
A Bittersweet Ruling Against KitKat in the EU
High court says shape of Nestle chocolate bar isn't unique enough to merit trademark protection
- "Four trapezoidal bars aligned on a rectangular base" may not be instantly recognizable. Put that setup in chocolate form, however, and many people would be able to distinguish it as a KitKat. Even if that's the case, the European Union's highest court just ruled that the shape...
Beloved Candy Maker
Gets a New Owner
May 23, 2018 5:03 PM CDT
Beloved Candy Maker Gets a New Owner
Necco Wafers are safe, at least for now
- The bankrupt maker of Necco Wafers, Sweethearts conversation hearts, and other beloved American candies has a new owner. The Ohio-based Spangler Candy Co., maker of Dum Dums lollipops, had the winning $18.83 million bid for the New England Confectionery Co. at a federal bankruptcy auction in Boston, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.