Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Take the Money and Run' Artist
Told to Bring Back the Money
Sep 19, 2023 2:10 AM CDT
'Take the Money and Run' Artist Told to Bring Back the Money
Jens Haaning ordered to return money to museum after he produced blank canvases
- The Danish artist who took the money and ran—specifically, he took the money Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave him to reproduce two of his prior works, but instead of recreating them he simply gave the museum two blank canvases he called "Take the Money and...
Artist Botero Is Dead
Sep 15, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Renowned Colombian Artist Botero Is Dead
Painter and sculptor's distinctive works were known around the world
- Renowned Colombian painter and sculptor Fernando Botero, whose depictions of people and objects in plump, exaggerated forms became emblems of Colombian art around the world, has died at age 91. Lina Botero told the Colombian radio station Caracol that her father died Friday morning in Monaco of pneumonia complications, per...
Picasso Said She'd
Never Leave Him.
Jun 7, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Picasso Said She'd Never Leave Him. Acclaimed Artist: 'We'll See'
Francoise Gilot, who produced decades of lauded art, ditched Pablo, married Jonas Salk, dies at 101
- Francoise Gilot, a prolific and acclaimed painter who produced art for well more than a half-century but was nonetheless more famous for her turbulent relationship with Pablo Picasso—and for becoming, as he freely admitted, "the only woman ever to leave him," per Artforum —died Tuesday in...
for Wall Space With
Mar 29, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
Banksy Competes for Wall Space With 'Ukrainian Banksy'
As actual artist makes his mark in war-torn nation, local Gamlet Zinkivskyi also inspires
- Banksy has made his mark in Ukraine during the yearlong Russian invasion, but the UK artist has some current competition in the war-torn nation. Gamlet Zinkivskyi , a 36-year-old known as the "Ukrainian Banksy" for his black-and-white contemporary artwork, has put his burgeoning international career on hold to instead paint...
Artist Who Had to Prove
He Didn't Paint Picture
Jan 19, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Artist Who Had to Prove He Didn't Paint Picture Awarded $2.5M
Gallery claimed Peter Doig painted picture signed by former inmate Peter Doige
- Artist Peter Doig has been awarded a $2.5 million judgment by a federal judge in connection with a bizarre case that required him to prove a painting wasn't his work. In 2016, Doig was sued by a Chicago gallery after he disavowed a painting signed "P. Doige...
Renowned Creator of Funky
Urban Sculptures Dies
Jul 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Renowned Creator of Funky Urban Sculptures Dies
Claes Oldenburg was 93
- Pop artist Claes Oldenburg, who turned the mundane into the monumental through his outsized sculptures of a baseball bat, a clothespin, and other objects, has died at age 93. Oldenburg died Monday morning in Manhattan, according to his daughter, Maartje Oldenburg. He had been in poor health since falling and...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Hidden Work by
'the Painter of Maine'
Surfaces in Bank Vault
Jan 14, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Hidden Work by 'the Painter of Maine' Surfaces in Bank Vault
Marsden Hartley's 'Friend Against the Wind' last seen in public 40 years ago
- A painting by the American modernist Marsden Hartley that had been out of public sight for 40 years was located in a bank vault, a significant step toward uncovering the works of an increasingly appreciated artist who considered himself "the painter of Maine," reports the AP . The painting,...
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle
Blocked After FB Name Change
Dec 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle Blocked After FB Name Change
Australia's Thea-Mai Baumann used the 'metaverse' handle, then suddenly got blocked
- For nearly a decade, Thea-Mai Baumann, once the owner of an augmented-reality company called Metaverse Makeovers, used the Instagram handle "metaverse" to showcase her creative work. Last month, however, the Australian artist says she suddenly wasn't able to access her Insta, and she suspects Facebook's recent rebranding...
14 Da Vinci Descendants
Jul 6, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
14 Da Vinci Descendants Are Uncovered
New study traces his family tree through 21 generations
- Leonardo da Vinci didn't have any children of his own, but a comprehensive investigation of his family history has turned up 14 living male relatives, reports ZME Science . The study in the
journal has increased the previous estimate of living relatives from two and might shed light...
Oops: Gallery Visitors
Dab Paint on $440K Artwork
Apr 3, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
Oops: Gallery Visitors Dab Paint on $440K Artwork
They thought it was allowed on JonOne's large canvas in South Korea
- A young couple admiring a large work by American artist JonOne at a gallery in South Korea added a few brushstrokes of their own in the mistaken belief it was allowed. The best part: The work "Untitled" is valued at $440,000, reports ABC News . JonOne, real name John...
Van Gogh's Deliriums
Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Nov 8, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Van Gogh's Deliriums Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Forced withdrawal in hospital may have triggered 'unbearable hallucinations'
- More than a century after his death, people remain fascinated with Vincent Van Gogh's life, particularly the last few years , which were marked by mental illness. Indeed, a new study focusing on that most-productive period suggests he didn't have schizophrenia but may have been suffering from delirium linked...
Artist to Purge Vision of
Gator Attack by Painting It
Sep 21, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Artist to Purge Vision of Gator Attack by Painting It
'He had green eyes. The teeth were pearly white, no stain or anything.'
- Mark Johnson remembers his attacker in vivid detail. "He had green eyes," he says. "The teeth were pearly white, no stain or anything." Now, the Florida artist wants to paint the perp—an 8-foot-long alligator that mauled him earlier this month. The attack in Port St....
Christo Is Dead at 84
May 31, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Christo Is Dead at 84
The artist was known for his huge, ambitious projects
- Christo, known for massive, ephemeral public arts projects died Sunday at his home in New York, the AP reports. He was 84. His death was announced on Twitter and the artist's web page . No cause of death was given. Along with his late wife Jeanne-Claude, the artists careers were...
Singer Revered by
Kurt Cobain Dead at 58
Sep 12, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Singer Revered by Kurt Cobain Dead at 58
Daniel Johnston cranked out dozens of albums
- His iconic "Jeremiah the Innocent" frog graces the corner of Guadalupe and 21st streets in Austin, his struggles with mental illness were well-documented, and his songs have been covered and revered by everyone from the Flaming Lips and Kurt Cobain to Tom Waits. Now, Texas and the entire musical...
Mexico May Have Found
Answer to 'Great Enigma'
Jun 14, 2019 4:51 AM CDT
Mexico May Have Found Answer to 'Great Enigma'
This could be the sound of Frida Kahlo's voice
- The National Sound Library of Mexico says it may finally have uncovered the answer to a "great enigma"—the sound of Frida Kahlo's voice. The library says a clip from a recording of the 1955 radio show "El Bachiller"—"The Bachelor"—could be...
Artist Who Created
Apr 5, 2019 1:11 AM CDT
Artist Who Created Paint-by-Numbers Pictures Dies
Dan Robbins was inspired by da Vinci
- The artist who created the first paint-by-numbers pictures and helped turn the kits into an American sensation during the 1950s has died. Dan Robbins, whose works were dismissed by some critics but later celebrated by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History, died Monday in Sylvania, Ohio, says...
Oh, No: Urine-Crucifix Artist
Buys Trump Wedding Cake
Feb 13, 2019 7:00 PM CST
Oh, No: Urine-Crucifix Artist Buys Trump Wedding Cake
Andres Serrano paid a pretty penny for it, too
- An artist who turned heads (and inspired a violent assault ) by immersing a crucifix in urine has just made an interesting purchase: a cake from President Trump's 2005 wedding to Melania, the
reports. Andres Serrano, 68, bought the chocolate truffle cake for $1,880 at a...
After 15 Years, Sculptor Finds
Source of Illness: Her Own Art
in case you missed it
Dec 8, 2018 3:40 PM CST
After 15 Years, Sculptor Finds Source of Illness: Her Own Art
Gillian Genser worked with mussel shells, ended up with heavy-metal poisoning
- Gillian Genser is a Canadian sculptor who works only with natural materials, and in
magazine, she recounts her own personal medical mystery. About 20 years ago, she began suffering debilitating symptoms such as constant headaches, frequent vomiting, aching muscles, and cramped hands. Specialists couldn't figure it out....
After 9 Minutes of Bidding,
a Record Is Obliterated
Nov 16, 2018 1:56 AM CST
After 9 Minutes of Bidding, a Record Is Obliterated
David Hockney masterpiece fetched $90.3M at Christie's auction
- The record for the most expensive work by a living artist sold at auction was blown out of the water Thursday when David Hockney's "Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures)" sold for a staggering $90.3 million. After nine minutes of bidding at Christie's in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.