Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Nationals Won't Be
Sweeping the World Series
Oct 26, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Nationals Won't Be Sweeping the World Series
Houston Astros win one against DC's home team, giving Nationals 2-1 lead in Fall Classic
- The World Series finally showed up back in Washington, 86 years later—and, sparked by Jose Altuve, the Houston Astros finally showed up in this World Series. Altuve doubled twice and scored both times, Zack Greinke repeatedly worked out of trouble, and the Astros made sure they wouldn't go...
Is Not Enough
Oct 25, 2019 8:25 AM CDT
Firing of Astros Exec Is Not Enough
What about the GM who approved the team's initial lies, asks Christine Brennan
- The Houston Astros fired exec Brandon Taubman over his ugly tirade to female reporters, and Taubman deserved exactly what he got, writes Christine Brennan at
. Now Brennan hopes others with the team don't escape punishment. The Astros organization had the gall to pat itself on the back...
Astros Fire Exec
Oct 24, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Astros Fire Exec After Outburst
Brandon Taubman had apologized after reportedly shouting toward female reporters
- Maybe this will help them win some games ? The Astros have fired assistant general manager Brandon Taubman for directing inappropriate comments at female reporters following Houston's pennant-winning victory over the New York Yankees. The team released a statement Thursday that said Taubman's conduct did not reflect the...
Nationals Hammer Astros,
Take 2-0 Series Lead
Oct 24, 2019 12:29 AM CDT
Nationals Hammer Astros, Take 2-0 Series Lead
They won 12-3 in Houston
- Stephen Strasburg's time had come. Famously held out of the postseason seven years ago, Strasburg delivered on the biggest stage of all Wednesday night. The right-hander outdueled fellow ace Justin Verlander, overcoming a shaky start to give the Washington Nationals a 12-3 win over the Houston Astros and a...
Nationals Win First-Ever
World Series Game
Oct 23, 2019 12:34 AM CDT
Nationals Win First-Ever World Series Game
They beat Houston Astros 5-4
- Juan Soto and the Washington Nationals quickly derailed the Cole Express. A 20-year-old prodigy with a passion for the big moment, Soto homered onto the train tracks high above the left field wall and hit a two-run double as the Nationals tagged Gerrit Cole and the Houston Astros 5-4 Tuesday...
Astros Exec Apologizes
After Outburst Makes Waves
Oct 22, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Astros Exec Apologizes After Outburst Makes Waves
Brandon Taubman calls his comments about Roberto Osuna 'unprofessional'
- The assistant general manager of the Houston Astros apologized Tuesday for using "inappropriate language" after a
report said he repeatedly yelled toward a group of female reporters about closer Roberto Osuna during a clubhouse celebration. Brandon Taubman released a statement through the Astros hours before they played...
Mess for the Astros After Exec
Yells Lines at Female Journos
Oct 22, 2019 12:53 PM CDT
Mess for the Astros After Exec Yells Lines at Female Journos
The Astros come to Brandon Taubman's defense, to much derision
- The Houston Astros take on the Washington Nationals in Game One of the World Series Tuesday night, but all eyes are on a different story regarding the team: One published Monday by
that accuses a team exec of having an "offensive" locker room outburst directed at three...
Walk-Off Sets Up World Series
That Could Buck a Trend
Oct 20, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Walk-Off Sets Up World Series That Could Buck a Trend
Astros and Nationals are rich in dominant pitching
- A ninth inning with dueling home runs sent the Astros to the World Series and a matchup with the Nationals. The Yankees came back Saturday night in Houston to tie the Astros with a homer by D.J. LeMahieu in a 10-pitch at-bat, Deadspin reports. Jose Altuve launched a walk-off...
Cubs Player Horrified
After Foul Ball Hits Child
May 30, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Cubs Player Horrified After Foul Ball Hits Child
Young girl was hospitalized after Astros incident
- Teammates had to console distraught Chicago Cubs center fielder Albert Almora Jr. on Wednesday night after a foul ball hit a little girl in the stands. Almora fell to his knees after he hit a line drive that hit the young fan at the Houston Astros' stadium in the fourth...
This Astros Fan Is Now Big
Part of Playoffs, Accidentally
Oct 18, 2018 6:54 AM CDT
This Astros Fan Is Now Big Part of Playoffs, Accidentally
Troy Caldwell may have cost Houston a home run in a close game they lost
- The Houston Astros fan now rooting hardest for his team to make the World Series? It's got to be Troy Caldwell, thanks to a controversial moment from Wednesday night's game against the Red Sox. The upshot is that Caldwell may have cost his team a two-run home run...
Aug 25, 2018 10:06 AM CDT
Pitcher Gets Charged $1M at Beverly Hills Hotel
But Justin Verlander took it all in good fun
- Houston Astros ace Justin Verlander is likely no stranger to big bills, but this? The 35-year-old was dining at the Cabana Cafe at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Friday with ex-tennis player Mardy Fish when the bill came—including a $42 salad, $30 pancakes ... and $1 million for "Open...
This Astros Player Came to the
4th Inning Looking ... Different
Jun 25, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
This Astros Player Came to the 4th Inning Looking ... Different
Alex Bregman decided to shave his mustache right in the middle of the game
- Hair today, gone … by the fourth inning? That's what happened with the Houston Astros' Alex Bregman Sunday during his team's game against the Kansas City Royals. MLB.com reports the third baseman got a walk in the second inning, then didn't come to the plate again...
Verlander Wins World Series,
Then Marries Kate Upton
Nov 5, 2017 2:05 PM CST
Verlander Wins World Series, Then Marries Kate Upton
The Astros pitcher was too busy tying the knot to attend the team's victory parade
- Just days after winning the World Series with the Houston Astros, ace pitcher Justin Verlander tied the knot with his longtime on-and-off girlfriend, supermodel Kate Upton. The couple was so eager to get married that Verlander, who pitched two games during the Astros' 4-3 series victory over the Los Angeles...
In Final Game of World Series,
an On-Field Apology
Nov 2, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
In Final Game of World Series, an On-Field Apology
Houston's Yuli Gurriel tipped his hat to LA's Yu Darvish to say sorry for previous incident
- Houston came home with a World Series win Wednesday night in Game 7, but not before one Astro tried to make things right with one of the Los Angeles Dodgers' pitchers. Houston's Yuli Gurriel has been suspended for five games next season for making a racist gesture during Game...
Predicted Year, MVP
of Astros' Series Win
Nov 2, 2017 2:09 AM CDT
Predicted Year, MVP of Astros' Series Win
The jinx may have been broken
- What jinx?
boldly predicted an Astros' World Series title on its cover in 2014—after Houston had lost more than 100 games for three straight years—proclaiming: "Your 2017 World Series Champs." It featured a picture of George Springer in a bright Astros jersey. It proved...
'We're Coming Home
a Champion, Houston'
Nov 2, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
'We're Coming Home a Champion, Houston'
Astros beat Dodgers 5-1 in Game 7
- From laughingstock to lift off. George Springer and the Houston Astros rocketed to the top of the baseball galaxy Wednesday night, winning the first World Series championship in franchise history by romping past the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1 in Game 7, the AP reports. Playing for a city still recovering...
Dodgers Win Game 6
to Tie World Series 3-3
Oct 31, 2017 11:04 PM CDT
Dodgers Win Game 6 to Tie World Series 3-3
They staged a comeback win Tuesday night
- Chris Taylor, Corey Seager, and the Los Angeles Dodgers sent this twist-and-turn World Series to Game 7, rallying against Justin Verlander to beat the Houston Astros 3-1 Tuesday night, the AP reports. A comeback win in Game 6 on Halloween night gave fans at Dodger Stadium and beyond a true...
Fight to the Finish in Wild
World Series Game
Oct 30, 2017 12:52 AM CDT
Fight to the Finish in Wild World Series Game
22 home runs set a new WS record; Astros win against Dodgers 13-12
- Alex Bregman hit a game-ending single off Kenley Jansen with two outs in the 10th inning, and the Houston Astros outslugged the Los Angeles Dodgers 13-12 Sunday night to take a 3-2 World Series lead. Silent early when ace Dallas Keuchel allowed Los Angeles to spurt ahead 4-0, the crowd...
Dodgers Have Big 9th,
Tie Up World Series
Oct 28, 2017 10:41 PM CDT
Dodgers Have Big 9th, Tie Up World Series
Los Angeles beats Houston to even series a 2 games apiece
- Cody Bellinger lined a go-ahead double in the ninth inning, four Dodgers pitchers combined on a two-hitter, and Los Angeles rallied past the Houston Astros 6-2 Saturday night to tie the World Series at 2-all. Joc Pederson homered to cap a five-run burst in the ninth, ensuring the Series will...
in Game 3
Oct 27, 2017 11:15 PM CDT
Astros Beat Dodgers in Game 3
They now lead World Series 2-1
- George Springer and the Houston Astros broke out their bats in a four-run second inning, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 Friday night for a 2-1 World Series lead, the AP reports. Yuli Gurriel homered to begin the four-run burst off loser Yu Darvish that also included run-scoring singles by...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.