Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply
Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
Dec 1, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
KJZZ's Alisa Resnick detained while covering pro-Palestinian protest outside Tucson Raytheon office
- More than two dozen people were detained Thursday at a pro-Palestinian demonstration outside a Raytheon office in Arizona, including a local reporter who was covering the event. The
reports that KJZZ's Alisa Reznick was arrested by a deputy from the Pima County Sheriff's Department outside a...
Bull Found on Freeway
Nov 24, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Troopers Wrangle Bull Found on Freeway
'He seemed like he wanted to take me on'
- Arizona state troopers say nobody was injured when a runaway bull was found wandering around a Phoenix freeway early Friday. Video footage from a traffic camera shows the dark, long-horned bull mulling around the highway as troopers try to herd it from the safety of their vehicles, the AP reports....
Is Running for Congress
Nov 13, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'QAnon Shaman' Is Running for Congress
As a libertarian in Arizona
- Jacob Chansley, the man often seen as the face of the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot and who is perhaps more famously known as "QAnon Shaman," promised after being released from prison and a halfway house that he would continue his quest for "truth." Apparently that...
in Attack on
Nov 10, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Suspect Arrested in Attack on Former Senator
Martha McSally reported that she was sexually assaulted while running along Missouri River in Iowa
- An arrest has been made in the sexual assault reported in Iowa this week by former US Sen. Martha McSally. Police in Omaha, Nebraska, said they took the 25-year-old into custody after officers saw him about 3:20am Friday. The man, who lives in the Nebraska town of Papillion, will...
Feeding Elk May Have
Been Her Final Act
Nov 8, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Feeding Elk May Have Been Her Final Act
Woman trampled in what's now considered the first fatal elk attack in Arizona history
- An Arizona woman has died eight days after she was apparently trampled by elk she may have been feeding outside her home. It's thought to be the first fatal elk attack in state history, according to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, which describes five known attacks in as...
These Animals Are Tearing
Up a Luxury Golf Course
Oct 26, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
These Animals Are Tearing Up a Luxury Golf Course
Social media users complain of lost habitats as Arizona's Seven Canyons battles piglike javelinas
- Seven Canyons is a 200-acre private golf course ranked among the top 25 courses in Arizona by
. But the luxury course in Sedona is looking a little worse for wear as of late, with what the
describes as "a sprawling patchwork of oversized divots that would...
Nasty Flesh-Eating Parasite
Now 'Endemic' in US
Oct 20, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Nasty Flesh-Eating Parasite Now 'Endemic' in US
Leishmaniasis, which can lead to life-long scarring, is appearing in southern states
- A flesh-eating parasite once thought to concern only those in tropical locales is now "endemic" in the US. Leishmania mexicana is believed to be spreading through sand flies in the southern US, particularly Texas, according to an analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The parasite triggers...
Dad Strips Down at
School Board Meeting
in case you missed it
Oct 15, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Dad Strips Down at School Board Meeting
Arizona man was protesting dress code change
- A father in Arizona stripped down at a school board to make a point about a proposed dress code change—but the sight of Ira Latham in a crop top and short shorts didn't alter the board's decision. "Under the proposed policy this would be appropriate in...
Body Found in Desert
41 Years Ago Was
Man Looking for Gold
Oct 12, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Body Found in Desert 41 Years Ago Was Man Looking for Gold
Man left California for Nevada in 1970s, was found dead in Arizona in 1982
- A California man left the state in the early 1970s to look for gold in Nevada, and eventually disappeared. In 1982, a body was found outside Kingman, Arizona. And now, decades later, authorities have determined the body is that of the California man, Virgil Renner. It's not clear how...
Lake Clashes With Senate Rival
at Phoenix Airport
Oct 6, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Lake Clashes With Senate Rival at Phoenix Airport
GOP hopeful was on the same flight from Washington, DC, as Ruben Gallego
- Passengers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport got a possible preview of next year's Senate debates when two candidates clashed after arriving on the same flight from Washington, DC. The
reports that the exchange between Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego and Kari Lake, who is seeking the Republican...
Preps for a
Sep 28, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Preps for a New Fight
Republican to announce run for Arizona Senate seat next month, per 'WSJ'
- While still appealing her loss in last year's Arizona gubernatorial race, Kari Lake will mount a new fight—to snag Kyrsten Sinema's Senate seat. The former TV news anchor tells the
Wall Street Journal
that she'll launch her campaign with a rally on Oct. 10, setting up...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
Patient Pulls Off
Grueling Feat at
Sep 18, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Elderly Cancer Patient Pulls Off Grueling Feat at Grand Canyon
Fran Anderson, 81, finishes 24-mile rim-to-rim hike in 21 hours, with family by her side
- An 81-year-old grandmother of nine with blood cancer who nearly died of pneumonia a few months back has pulled off a feat that would test even the healthiest among us. On Sept. 4, Fran Anderson of Orange, California, finished a rim-to-rim hike across the Grand Canyon, a 24-mile trek that...
He Tried to Hike From Rim
to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Sep 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
He Tried to Hike From Rim to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Ranjith Varma of Virginia becomes 9th person to die inside Grand Canyon this year
- Another hiker has died amid triple-digit temperatures in Grand Canyon National Park. Ranjith Varma, a 55-year-old man from Manassas, Virginia, died Saturday while attempting a 21-mile trek from the south rim of the canyon to the north rim, a grueling journey that can take up to 15 hours, CBS News...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
36 Years Later, Police
Solve Hiker's Murder
Aug 28, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
36 Years Later, Police Solve Hiker's Murder
Cathy Sposito was killed by a high school student in Arizona, says sheriff
- A young college student who was brutally killed on a popular hiking trail in Arizona decades ago was the victim of a serial predator who took his own life years later, authorities say. Yavapai County Sheriff David Rhodes announced that DNA evidence indicates Bryan Scott Bennett was the man responsible...
Training of Ukrainian
Pilots on F-16s
Aug 24, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
US Schedules Training of Ukrainian Pilots on F-16s
Crews also will learn how to maintain the fighter jets
- The Pentagon announced Thursday that Ukrainian fighter jet pilots will begin training on US-made F-16s in Arizona, starting in October. The pilots and support personnel will complete English language education at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, in September, then go to Morris Air National Guard Base to...
This Is Not What You Want
to Find in Your Toilet
Aug 14, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
This Is Not What You Want to Find in Your Toilet
Tucson woman discovers a snake in her bathroom after 4 days away
- Like a scene out of a horror movie, Michelle Lespron returned to her home in Tucson, Arizona, to find a snake had set up camp in her toilet. "I'd been gone for four days and was looking forward to using my own restroom in peace. I lifted up...
Teen Falls From
Aug 14, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Teen Falls From Grand Canyon's North Rim, Survives
Boy has already been discharged from hospital after scary incident
- The father of a boy who fell almost 100 feet from the Grand Canyon's north rim feared the worst when he heard what had happened—but miraculously, teenager Wyatt Kauffman survived. "We're just lucky we're bringing our kid home in a car in the front seat....
Biden: New Monument Is
'Good for the Country's Soul'
Aug 8, 2023 5:32 PM CDT
Biden: New Monument Is 'Good for the Country's Soul'
Move doubles Grand Canyon protected area
- Declaring it good "not only for Arizona but for the planet," President Biden on Tuesday signed a national monument designation for the greater Grand Canyon, turning the decades-long visions of Native American tribes and environmentalists into reality. Coming as Biden is on a three-state Western trip, the move...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.