Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 20, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Has More Ginni Thomas Election Emails
They show she implored Arizona lawmakers to disregard 2020 vote, name 'clean' electors
has obtained more messages from Virginia "Ginni" Thomas in regard to her efforts to keep former President Trump in office. Thomas—wife of the Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas—emailed two Arizona lawmakers in November 2020 and implored them to disregard vote results showing a victory...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Arizona Carries Out
First Execution in 8 Years
May 11, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
Arizona Carries Out First Execution in 8 Years
Clarence Dixon was convicted of 1978 murder of college student Deana Bowdoin
- An Arizona man convicted of killing a college student in 1978 was put to death Wednesday after a nearly eight-year hiatus in the state’s use of the death penalty brought on by an execution that critics say was botched—and the difficulty state officials faced in finding lethal injection...
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders
Surprised With Free College
May 11, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders Surprised With Free College
It's the second such gift from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation—and not the last
- A group of 63 third-graders in Phoenix, Ariz., have just been offered a full ride to college. And don't worry, the offer did not come from the overpromising Michael Scott . Instead, it's from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation , a private family organization with a history of following through, per...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Woman Gets Stuck
Climbing Border Wall, Dies
Apr 15, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
Woman Gets Stuck Climbing Border Wall, Dies
She was upside down for a significant amount of time, authorities say
- A 32-year-old woman attempting to climb over a border wall from Mexico into Douglas, Arizona, was killed Monday when she got stuck upside down. The unidentified woman got over the wall and was using a harness to go down the other side, but her foot and leg got tangled and...
Lawmakers Vote to Prohibit
Minors' Transgender Surgery
Mar 24, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Lawmakers Vote to Prohibit Minors' Transgender Surgery
Arizona governor hasn't said if he'll sign bill, which also restricts athletes
- The Arizona Legislature passed bills Thursday to prohibit gender reassignment surgery for minors and transgender athletes from playing on girls sports teams, joining a growing list of Republican-controlled states attempting to restrict transgender rights as they gain more visibility in culture and society. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey has not said...
Sheriff to Hiker
Who Called 911
Twice: Don't Try
This Hike Again
Mar 8, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Sheriff to Hiker Who Called 911 Twice: Don't Try This Hike Again
Man was helicoptered from Arizona's Humphreys Peak on 2nd attempt to reach summit
- A New York man bit off more than he could chew hiking in Arizona last week, prompting two 911 calls in two days. The 28-year-old Brooklyn resident first called 911 before 7pm on Wednesday, saying he'd lost his way while hiking the Humphreys Trail, a nearly 11-mile out and...
Cops: Man's Plan to Sell
$25K Dino Claw Went South
Feb 16, 2022 2:01 PM CST
Cops: Man's Plan to Sell $25K Dino Claw Went South
Police say Christopher Thomas swiped claw from one show vendor, tried to sell it to another
New York Daily News
calls theft "a crime as old as time"—an apt description for what happened two weeks ago at a gem and mineral show in Tucson, Ariz. KGUN reports that Eric Miller has been a vendor at the city's Gem, Mineral, and Fossil...
Feb 15, 2022 12:27 PM CST
Priest Resigns After 20-Year-Long Semantics Error
Rev. Andres Arango of Phoenix used the word 'we' instead of 'I' in baptisms, rendering all invalid
- If you or any of your children have been baptized in San Diego, Arizona, or Brazil over the past two decades, you might want to check who the presiding pastor was at that purification ceremony. That's because the Rev. Andres Arango, a priest in the Diocese of Phoenix, has...
Arizona Panel Backs
Dropping Voting Machines
Feb 14, 2022 7:36 PM CST
Arizona Panel Backs Dropping Voting Machines
A few Republicans join Democrats in resisting hand counts, Sharpie bans, and 'magic paper'
- Republican state senators on Monday advanced legislation that would require every ballot cast in Arizona's elections to be counted by hand, with GOP proponents who embraced former President Donald Trump's false narrative of massive voter fraud calling it a needed reform. The proposal was approved Monday by the...
5 Officers Shot, 4 More
Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
Feb 11, 2022 2:54 PM CST
5 Officers Shot, 4 More Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
All are expected to survive in Phoenix; gunman is dead, a woman is critically injured
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
A man ambushed a police officer who responded to a call at a Phoenix home early Friday, shooting him several times, then rained more gunfire on other officers who tried to rescue a baby that was placed outside the door....
Home Depot Worker
Accused of 4-Year
'Funny Money' Scheme
Feb 5, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Home Depot Worker Accused of 4-Year 'Funny Money' Scheme
Officials say Ariz. man replaced nearly $400K in real currency with fake cash
- Times are tough, but law enforcement officials say one Home Depot employee went too far and allegedly used his job to steal almost $400,000 over a four-year period, per the
New York Daily News
. Adrian Jean Pineda of Tempe, Ariz., was arrested Jan. 31 for allegedly replacing genuine currency...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
for Vote on
Jan 22, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Arizona Party Punishes Sinema for Vote on Filibuster
Chairwoman says voting rights are more important than Senate rules
- Three years after becoming a hero to Arizona Democrats for winning a US Senate seat long held by Republicans, Sen. Krysten Sinema was formally censured Saturday by the state party for her part in blocking voting rights legislation. The Arizona Democratic Party's executive committee cited Sinema's vote against...
Airman Sentenced for Kidnap,
Murder of Mennonite Woman
Jan 20, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Airman Sentenced for Kidnap, Murder of Mennonite Woman
Prosecutors say Mark Gooch was driven by hate for the faith he grew up in
- An Air Force airman has been sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole in the murder of a Mennonite woman whom he kidnapped from northwestern New Mexico, fatally shot, and left in the freezing cold outside Flagstaff, Ariz. Mark Gooch, 22, was convicted of first-degree murder and...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Trump Mocks Biden in
Speech at Arizona Rally
Jan 16, 2022 2:52 PM CST
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
Former president, who is vaccinated, criticized Biden's vaccination campaign
- Leaving office hasn’t changed Donald Trump’s rhetorical style at all. The former president, who—to his supporters’ apparent chagrin —is vaccinated. But before losing the 2020 election to President Joe Biden, he showed little to no support for mask and vaccine mandates. Biden ran on a promise...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.