Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: We Know What Killed
US Tourists in Bahamas
Jun 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: We Know What Killed US Tourists in Bahamas
Carbon monoxide was to blame; case remains 'under active investigation'
It's confirmed: The three Americans in their 60s found dead in neighboring rooms at a Bahamas resort last month indeed "died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning," according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force. It adds the case "remains under active...
They Were Being Poisoned,
Thought It Was COVID
Mar 26, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
They Were Being Poisoned, Thought It Was COVID
With COVID, it's sometimes easy to forget about all the other illnesses and hazards out there
- Relatively early in the pandemic, circa late-2020, almost any physical symptom—the slightest sniffle, queasiness, or sore throat—could be a signal of impending quarantine, if not worse. That’s because COVID-19 was the focus of life on earth. As Sandra G. Boodman reports for the
Children Among the Ill
at Motel Pool
Jan 30, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Children Among the Ill at Motel Pool
Scare began when 2-year-old was found unconscious, possibly from carbon monoxide
- Ohio officials suspect carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of a rash of illnesses at a motel pool that sent more than a dozen people to hospitals. The first case reported was that of a 2-year-old girl who was unconscious at the pool Saturday afternoon, the
Carbon Monoxide Killed
7 in Family, Tests Show
Dec 22, 2021 6:35 PM CST
Carbon Monoxide Killed 7 in Family, Tests Show
Source could be the furnace or a van in the garage, sheriff says
: Carbon monoxide poisoning, apparently accidental, killed seven family members whose bodies were found in their home, Minnesota officials said Wednesday. Ramsey County officials said blood tests showed a lethal level of carbon monoxide, the AP reports. Technicians couldn't find a problem with the furnace that would have caused...
Generators Keep the Lights
On—but the Cost Can Be Deadly
Dec 19, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Generators Keep the Lights On—but the Cost Can Be Deadly
Yearlong investigation looks at difficultly in getting industry to make them safer
- They're "one of the most dangerous consumer products on the market," but they're often seen as a saving grace: portable generators, which can keep the electricity streaming during power outages but also emit carbon monoxide. If the machine isn't positioned properly—put too close to...
Carbon Monoxide Led
to Young Woman's Drowning
Aug 28, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Carbon Monoxide Led to Young Woman's Drowning
Parents warn CO is a serious danger to boaters
- A college athlete who grew up swimming in her backyard pool tragically drowned in a lake while boating this spring in Ohio, leading her parents to wonder: how could this have happened? Per People , the culprit turned out to be a silent killer not always associated with boats. Carbon monoxide,...
4 Country Music Festival
Fans Die, 3 in Same Camper
Jul 18, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
4 Country Music Festival Fans Die, 3 in Same Camper
Officials say there's no danger in attending the Faster Horses festival
- At least four people died while attending a weekend country music festival in southern Michigan, including three men who likely succumbed to carbon monoxide exposure inside a travel trailer, authorities said Saturday. Two more men were in critical condition at a hospital from the same exposure, the Lenawee County...
Student's Drowning Due
in Part to Carbon Monoxide
Jun 28, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Student's Drowning Due in Part to Carbon Monoxide
Coroner decides it was a factor in Allyson Sidloski's May 22 death
- A University of Cincinnati soccer player who drowned last month was apparently impacted by carbon monoxide, with WKYC reporting very high levels of it were detected in her blood. Allyson Sidloski, 21, died May 22 at Ohio's East Fork State Park. Cincinnati.com quotes Deputy Coroner Russell Uptegrove as...
Houston Woman, Child Die
While Trying to Stay Warm
Feb 16, 2021 11:49 AM CST
Houston Woman, Child Die While Trying to Stay Warm
8 others suffer carbon monoxide poisoning amid historic storm in Texas
- Ahead of a historic storm, KBMT in Beaumont, Texas, warned residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, which killed a dozen people in Texas and Louisiana amid last year's Hurricane Laura. The notice apparently wasn't enough. Ninety miles west in Houston, a woman and her 8-year-old daughter...
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8
at New Year's Eve Party
Jan 1, 2021 11:25 AM CST
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8 at New Year's Eve Party
'8 young lives lost' in a cottage in Tribistovo, Bosnia
- Eight young men and women have died in a cottage in southwest Bosnia, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration, police said Friday. A local police spokeswoman tells the AP that police responded to a call around 10am local time and went to a house...
A Family Made It Through the
Storm. They Died Hours Later
Sep 1, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
A Family Made It Through the Storm. They Died Hours Later
Slew of generator-caused carbon monoxide deaths in Louisiana, Texas after Hurricane Laura
- The death toll from Hurricane Laura has now reached the double digits, and in Louisiana, one family took an especially hard hit. Per the
, the state's health department reports a family of four in Lake Charles succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, with Lake Charles Fire Chief Shawn Caldwell...
Cops Came Upon Confused
People, Discovered a Poisoning
Aug 31, 2020 2:40 AM CDT
Cops Came Upon Confused People, Discovered a Poisoning
25 people hospitalized due to carbon monoxide after underground rave
- Police officers on patrol in Norway happened upon a group of young people acting confused early Sunday—and ended up discovering a mass carbon monoxide poisoning. As the BBC reports, several more similarly disoriented people emerged from an underground bunker asking for medical assistance, and police ultimately discovered a rave...
Coroner: All Victims
of Dive Boat Fire Died
of Smoke Inhalation
May 22, 2020 7:05 AM CDT
Coroner: All Victims of Dive Boat Fire Died of Smoke Inhalation
34 who perished on Conception in 2019 suffered carbon monoxide poisoning
- Coroner's reports for the 34 victims who died in a scuba boat fire off the Southern California coast last year show they died of carbon monoxide poisoning before they were burned, authorities said Thursday. All 33 scuba divers and one crew member died in the Sept. 2 fire aboard...
After Hotel Gas Leak
Jul 10, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
46 Hospitalized After Hotel Gas Leak
15 in critical condition after Winnipeg incident
- Nearly four dozen people were taken to a hospital, at least 15 of them in critical condition, after carbon monoxide leaked inside a hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on Tuesday, but no fatalities are expected, officials say. John Lane, chief of the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, says emergency crews were called...
An Unusual Car Safety
Hazard Is Claiming Lives
Jun 28, 2019 12:36 PM CDT
An Unusual Car Safety Hazard Is Claiming Lives
Keyless ignitions causing carbon monoxide deaths
- Anyone asked to tick off common car safety issues might list things such as exploding airbags or rollovers. But keyless ignitions? As it turns out, the convenience feature has been blamed for nearly 40 deaths since 2005, including seven in the last six months alone, reports the
Detroit Free Press
Ford Explorer Owners
Fear They May Be
Mar 23, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Ford Explorer Owners Fear They May Be Getting Poisoned
Bloomberg dives into years of driver complaints of sickness, possibly tied to carbon monoxide leaks
- Many people buy SUVs to keep them safe. But while the Ford Explorer's size may help insulate passengers somewhat in collisions, owners have been complaining about another issue: They say their vehicles have been making them sick. Bloomberg notes that upward of 3,000 Explorer owners have filed complaints...
Dad Prepping to Take Kids to
School Dies in Garage With Son
Nov 29, 2018 7:30 PM CST
Dad Prepping to Take Kids to School Dies in Garage With Son
Daughter is in critical condition after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning
- A heartbreaking story out of Kentucky, where a father and his 3-year-old son died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning; the man's 7-year-old daughter is in critical condition. Juvenal Garcia Mora, 39, was found unresponsive inside his garage but not in his car; the children were inside the...
Bizarre Yoga Ball
Reaches Its End
Sep 19, 2018 12:27 PM CDT
Bizarre Yoga Ball Murder Case Reaches Its End
Khaw Kim-sun is found guilty in deaths of wife, daughter
- Three years after anesthesiology professor Dr. Khaw Kim-sun's wife and 16-year-old daughter were found unresponsive in a Mini Cooper in Hong Kong, Khaw has been convicted of their murders and was on Wednesday sentenced to life in prison. The case received international attention due to its bizarre mechanics : The...
in Double Murder:
Gas-Filled Yoga Ball
Aug 23, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
Alleged Weapon in Double Murder: Gas-Filled Yoga Ball
Hong Kong professor accused of killing wife and daughter via carbon monoxide leak
- He told co-workers he was going to kill rabbits, and he told police that he only meant to get rid of rats—but prosecutors say a Hong Kong professor used a rather odd weapon to instead murder his wife and teen daughter. That alleged weapon: a yoga ball filled with...
Keyless Ignitions Blamed
for At Least 28 Deaths
May 14, 2018 7:17 AM CDT
Keyless Ignitions Blamed for At Least 28 Deaths
They died from carbon monoxide after leaving engines on
- "After 75 years of driving, my father thought that when he took the key with him when he left the car, the car would be off," says Doug Schaub. His father, Fred, was among at least 28 people identified by the
New York Times
as having died from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
So Which 4 Tom Hanks Movies Does He Like Himself?
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.