Actor Dennis Quaid and his wife filed a lawsuit against Baxter International, maker of the blood thinner Heparin, after their newborn twins nearly died of an overdose, the Chicago Tribune reports. The couple said Baxter was negligent because it packaged two different strengths of the drug, one a thousand times more concentrated than the other, in similar vials.
According to the product-liability lawsuit, filed in Chicago, Baxter knew that three infants had died last year as a result of similar Heparin overdosing, but the company failed to recall the stronger product or repackage the drug. The Quaid infants, who were accidentally given the wrong dose by hospital personnel last month, are said to be fine. (Read more Dennis Quaid stories.)