X

Carson Campaign Turmoil: 2 Top Aides Quit

Campaign manager and communications chief are gone
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 31, 2015 12:50 PM CST

(Newser) – Signs of trouble in the Ben Carson campaign Thursday: His campaign manager and his communications chief quit effective immediately, reports CNN. Both were clashing with conservative radio host and Carson adviser Armstrong Williams about the direction of the campaign, reports the New York Times. “Dr. Carson is back in control,” said Williams before the news broke. “By Sunday everybody will know the truth; nobody will be in the dark inside the campaign.” Carson had been surging in the polls two months ago but has since dropped considerably as questions have been raised about his grasp of foreign policy and details about his personal history, notes Politico.

story continues below

“Barry Bennett and I have resigned from the Carson campaign effective immediately,” said Doug Watts, the outgoing communications chief. “We respect the candidate and we have enjoyed helping him go from far back in the field to top-tier status." It's hardly been all bad news for Carson this week though: His campaign announced that it raised $23 million in the quarter that ends Thursday, a figure that will likely be tops among the GOP candidates. (Read more Ben Carson 2016 stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X