WalletHub notes that the fall semester is right around the corner—and that those who boost their brains with higher education tend to nab better jobs and bring home higher salaries. The site looked at 150 US metropolitan statistical areas, examining nine different criteria to see which cities claimed the most-educated (and least-educated) working citizens. The five metropolitan areas with the highest brainiac status:
- Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-Va.-Md.-WV
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
- Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
- Madison, Wis.
And the five least-educated cities:
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas
- Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas
- Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
- Bakersfield, Calif.
- Modesto, Calif.
Check out the most well-read US cities
. (Read more US cities