X

Deadly Kite Strings Slit Throats of 3

Delhi has now banned sale of glass-covered strings
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 17, 2016 11:14 AM CDT

(Newser) – A man and two children are dead in India after a kite flying tradition on Independence Day went horribly wrong. Two children, aged 3 and 4, had their throats slit by kite strings covered with powdered glass or metal—a coating used to cut down competitors' kites—while riding with their heads out of car sunroofs in separate incidents in Delhi on Monday, reports the BBC. A 22-year-old motorcyclist suffered a fatal fall when he became entangled in a string, per the Indian Express, while a police officer was also injured. The Delhi government has since banned the sale of the sharp strings. (Read more India stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.