Despite California’s imposing environmental laws, the state has some of the worst air pollution in the country, reports USA Today via the American Lung Association's annual State of the Air report, out Wednesday. While the report names Visala/Hanford, Calif., as having the worst overall year-round pollution, it also notes eight of the 25 US cities with the worst short-term air pollution are in the Golden State. The top 10 in that category:
- Bakersfield, Calif.
- Visalia-Porterville-Hanford, Calif.
- Fresno-Madera, Calif.
- Modesto-Merced, Calif.
- Fairbanks, Alaska
- San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, Calif.
- Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, Utah
- Logan, Utah
- Los Angeles-Long Beach, Calif.
- Reno-Carson City-Fernley, Nev.
Click for the full report
or see America's most endangered rivers
. (Read more pollution