Trump: I Axed Parade Over Local Politicians' Greed - Page 2
They 'know a windfall when they see it'
Posted Aug 17, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
- One of those "local politicians" responded. Bowser had this to say on Twitter: "Yup, I’m Muriel Bowser, mayor of Washington DC, the local politician who finally got thru to the reality star in the White House with the realities ($21.6M) of parades/events/demonstrations in Trump America (sad)."
- The Post also cites an unnamed city official who described the process of planning the parade as having been difficult due to subpar communication with White House officials, who had been "slow" to offer up details down to the specific date. Politico notes it had been planned for Veterans Day, which is Nov. 11 this year; the Post's report says the parade was to be held Nov. 10.
- The Hill also reports that these weren't Trump's only recent tweets on the subject. After Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal on Thursday called for the money to go toward veterans' causes ("health care, more jobs & skills, end vet homelessness & suicides"), Trump responded: "How can 'Senator' Richard Blumenthal, who went around for twenty years as a Connecticut politician bragging that he was a great Marine war hero in Vietnam (then got caught and sobbingly admitted he was neither a Marine nor ever in Vietnam), pass judgement on anyone? Loser!"
- The Hartford Courant explains Trump's dig dates to 2010, when Blumenthal presented himself as having served "in" Vietnam while campaigning; though he was in the Marine Corps Reserve, he later admitted he never left US shores.
- Politico adds that Kellyanne Conway appeared on Fox & Friends ahead of Trump's tweets. "We don't need a parade to celebrate all this president has done for those brave men and women in uniform," she said.
(Read more President Trump
My Take on This Story
Show results |