X

Orchestra Rescinds Invite to Placido Domingo

After report that he has sexually harassed women for decades
By Newser Editors,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 13, 2019 11:54 AM CDT
Shrink
In this Friday, July 12, 2019, photo, Placido Domingo speaks during a news conference in Madrid, Spain.   (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

(Newser) – Opera icon Placido Domingo is already losing gigs over a report that he has regularly sexually harassed women over his long career. Domingo had been scheduled to perform with the Philadelphia Orchestra at its opening night in September, but the organization has now rescinded the invitation, reports NBC News. A spokeswoman said the orchestra is "committed to providing a safe, supportive, respectful, and appropriate environment." Domingo himself has pushed back against the allegations, which date back to the 1980s and include reports of unwanted kissing and groping.

"The allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as thirty years are deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate," said Domingo in a statement, per CNN. "I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual." The 78-year-old also cited changing standards in society. He said he would never intentionally offend someone, but "I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are—and should be—measured against today are very different than they were in the past." (Read more Placido Domingo stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
11%
10%
20%
14%
4%
41%