Baldwin Gives Phone to Deputies in New York

Search warrant was issued in December in investigation of killing on film set
By Bob Cronin,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 15, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Deputies Have Baldwin's Phone, Weeks After Warrant
Alec Baldwin, shown at an event in New York last month, had been negotiating over the release of his iPhone.   (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)

(Newser) – Four weeks after a search warrant was issued, Alec Baldwin has complied with it by turning his cellphone over to sheriff's deputies. New Mexico authorities had sought the phone for their investigation of the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on a film set there on Oct. 21. Santa Fe County Sheriff's officials had voiced frustration again on Thursday that Baldwin hadn't given them the phone, the Los Angeles Times reports. New Mexico officials were unable to compel the actor to turn over the iPhone because he'd gone back to New York, where he has several homes.

Baldwin, his lawyer, and New Mexico officials had been negotiating for weeks and have agreed on what information can be taken from the phone, which was given to a sheriff's department in New York along with the password, per Deadline. Suffolk County investigators will conduct the search, then pass the information to deputies in New Mexico. "Alec voluntarily provided his phone to the authorities this morning so they can finish their investigation," the actor's lawyer said Friday. "But this matter isn’t about his phone, and there are no answers on his phone." Baldwin "did nothing wrong," Aaron Dyer said. The actor's lawyer has said Baldwin has been cooperating with the investigation all along, (Read more Alec Baldwin stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X