Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
To Kill Coyotes, Town Calls In
Jan 4, 2023 4:53 PM CST
To Kill Coyotes, Town Calls In Federal Sharpshooters
Coyotes are killing pets in increasingly brazen attacks in Nahant, Massachusetts
- More than 3,000 humans and around a dozen coyotes live in the Massachusetts town of Nahant's one square mile—and they are not living in harmony. The town's three-member Board of Selectmen voted last month to make the town the first in the state to call in...
Video Shows Father Saving
2-Year-Old from Coyote
Dec 5, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Video Shows Father Saving 2-Year-Old from Coyote
Girl is recovering from her injuries but coyote remains on the loose
- A two-year-old girl is recovering from her injuries after being attacked by a coyote in the Woodland Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles. Per CNN , it happened Friday afternoon in front of the family’s home. The father, Ariel Eliyahuo, had just pulled into the driveway after picking the kids up...
'Distressed' Lost Puppy
Wasn't Actually a Puppy
May 5, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
'Distressed' Lost Puppy Wasn't Actually a Puppy
Massachusetts family ended up bringing home a baby coyote
- A Massachusetts family that thought they'd brought home a lost, terrified puppy they found by the side of a road got quite the surprise when a local wildlife center identified what it actually was: a baby coyote. In what WMUR calls a "major mix-up," the family spotted...
DNA Confirms Coyote Shot
by Police Attacked Girl
May 2, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
DNA Confirms Coyote Shot by Police Attacked Girl
Results from rabies tests are not in yet
: A DNA test has confirmed that the coyote that attacked a 2-year-old on a California beach last week has been killed. State officials said a DNA sample from the girl's arm matched one of the two coyotes police shot Thursday night near the spot on Huntington Beach where...
Government Agents Killed
200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Mar 25, 2022 6:47 AM CDT
Government Agents Killed 200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Critic slams USDA's Wildlife Services as 'taxpayer-funded wildlife slaughter'
- A government agency killed more than 1.75 million animals across the country in 2021, in what it claims were necessary actions. New data shows the Wildlife Services branch of the US Department of Agriculture, which acts to "resolve wildlife conflicts to allow people and wildlife to coexist,"...
Child's Evening Frolic
on Cape Cod Beach
Ends With Coyote Bite
Aug 14, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Child's Evening Frolic on Cape Cod Beach Ends With Coyote Bite
Luckily, animal didn't have rabies; child said to be recovering from non-life-threatening injuries
- A child's visit to a Provincetown beach turned ugly on Wednesday evening. A coyote bit the unidentified youngster at North Herring Cove Beach, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, around 8:30pm, sending the child to Cape Cod Hospital with what the National Park Service says were non-life-threatening...
'Unusually Bold' Coyote
Gets a Death Sentence
Jun 22, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
'Unusually Bold' Coyote Gets a Death Sentence
Calgary plans to trap and kill animal
- A "unusually bold and aggressive" coyote has been attacking people in Calgary, Alberta, and its days appear to be numbered. The city says the coyote is suspected of three attacks in the northwest part of the city, in which at least two people were bitten. Nicole Au was playing...
Cubs Can Be Killed
in Alaska Dens Under
Trump Rule Change
May 29, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Cubs Can Be Killed in Alaska Dens Under Trump Rule Change
NPS, Fish and WiNPS, Fish and Wildlife to relax Obama-era regulations related to federal lands
- Two federal agencies are relaxing Obama-era regulations on wildlife, now allowing for more hunting and trapping at national preserves throughout Alaska. The
Alaska Daily News
reports that the rolling back by the National Park Service and Fish and Wildlife Service of the 2015 prohibitions will allow hunters to take black...
Canada Goose Makes
a Big Change on Fur
Apr 22, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Canada Goose Makes a Big Change on Fur
Parka maker says it will only buy 'reclaimed' fur
- After years of pressure from PETA and other groups, Canada Goose says it is making a big change on the use of coyote fur in its luxury parkas—but it's not being eliminated. Instead, the company says that starting in 2022, it will no longer buy "virgin" fur...
After Attack on Son,
Dad Kills Coyote
With His Bare Hands
Jan 21, 2020 6:11 AM CST
After Attack on Son, Dad Kills Coyote With His Bare Hands
'It was very much the aggressor,' NH father says
- A New Hampshire father took his family for a hike on Monday and ended up killing an apparently rabid coyote with his bare hands. Police say Ian O'Reilly went into "protection mode and suffocated the coyote until it succumbed" after the animal attacked his 2-year-old son on a...
Boy, 5, Attacked by
Jan 9, 2020 10:51 AM CST
Boy, 5, Attacked by Coyote—in Chicago
The child was outside a nature museum in Lincoln Park; man was attacked hours later
- A 5-year-old boy was attacked by a coyote Wednesday—in Chicago. The boy was outside the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, which is in the city's Lincoln Park, when the animal bit him "multiple times," including on the head, per police. He was taken to Lurie Children's...
'Docile' Coyote Spends
11 Hours in Man's Car
Dec 4, 2019 3:16 AM CST
'Docile' Coyote Spends 11 Hours in Man's Car
He thought it was a big dog, possibly a husky
- A Canadian man on his way to work a night shift hit what he thought was a large dog with his car and put the dazed animal in his Hyundai to protect it from predators. But when Eli Boroditsky arrived at work, colleagues at a Manitoba cheese factory told him...
Video Captures Girl's
Narrow Escape From Coyote
Sep 26, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Video Captures Girl's Narrow Escape From Coyote
It charged at her in Chicago-area front yard
- After 5-year-old Christine came running inside with what her mom calls a "wild story" about being chased by a coyote, the Chicago-area girl's parents checked surveillance video and discovered that she had survived a terrifying close call, ABC News reports. Video of the encounter shows Christine, who had...
Extinct Wolf DNA
Turns Up in Texas
Jan 15, 2019 11:47 AM CST
'Incredibly Rare': Extinct Wolf DNA Turns Up in Texas
Canines on Galveston Island could be red wolf-coyote hybrid
- The red wolf was declared effectively extinct in the American wild almost 40 years ago, but, like the Neanderthal, it lives on in descendants still thriving today. That's the welcome discovery revealed in a study in
, which found a substantial amount of red wolf DNA in two road-kill...
in Rash of
Mar 5, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Coyote Involved in Rash of NY Attacks Had Rabies
6 people were attacked, animals were attacked and killed
- Over a 24-hour period last week, a coyote or coyotes attacked multiple people, killed a dog, and may have mauled three sheep—one fatally—in Yonkers and surrounding areas of New York. Now authorities say a coyote believed to have been involved was rabid. The coyote was captured and killed...
Woman Picks Up Surprise
Passenger on Her Commute
Sep 13, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
Woman Picks Up Surprise Passenger on Her Commute
Georgie Knox had no clue there was a coyote in her car's grille
- Wile E. Coyote may be accustomed to vehicular chaos , but it was one of his cousins in the Great White North that took a wild ride last week. Canada's Georgie Knox says she was on her way to her job in Calgary early one morning when a coyote ran...
Feds Need Public Help
Collecting Coyote Poop
May 8, 2016 5:40 PM CDT
Feds Need Public Help Collecting Coyote Poop
The National Park Service wants to learn about urban coyotes
- Don't mind searching for coyote poop, or parsing through that poop for digested food bits? Then the National Park Service (NPS) wants you. It's seeking volunteers to help find and analyze coyote excrement, called scat, across the Los Angeles area, My News LA reports. The idea is to...
May Be Stoned
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 31, 2016 7:07 AM CST
Coyotes Staring Down Drivers May Be Stoned
They may have consumed hallucinogenic mushrooms
- In Canada, coyotes build snowmen . In Marin County, Calif., they get high on mushrooms—or so it seems. At least one and possibly two coyotes have been spotted acting a bit oddly along Highway 1 near Bolinas, reports Pacific Sun . Residents describe an animal forcing nighttime drivers to stop on...
Is a New Species Taking
Over North America?
in case you missed it
Nov 1, 2015 6:17 AM CST
Is a New Species Taking Over North America?
Dogs, wolves, and coyotes produce one impressive animal
- A potential new species—a coyote souped up with wolf and dog DNA that some are calling the "coywolf"—is spreading throughout eastern North America in a phenomenon the
says is "astonishing." Scientists believe coywolves got their start a century or two ago when struggling...
Study: 'Golden Wolf' Has
Been Hiding in Plain Sight
Jul 31, 2015 12:10 AM CDT
Study: 'Golden Wolf' Has Been Hiding in Plain Sight
We just thought it was the African golden jackal
- Africa, home to the Ethiopian wolf and the gray wolf, can now lay claim to the African golden wolf—the first new species of canid (which also encompasses jackals, foxes, and coyotes) to be discovered in 150 years, reports
. The new species has long been misunderstood to be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.