Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Counties Win 'Landmark Victory'
Against Pharmacy Chains
Nov 23, 2021 6:45 PM CST
Counties Win 'Landmark Victory' Against Pharmacy Chains
Federal jury found chains responsible for role in opioid crisis
- CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies recklessly distributed massive amounts of pain pills in two Ohio counties, a federal jury said Tuesday in a verdict that could set the tone for US city and county governments that want to hold pharmacies accountable for their roles in the opioid crisis. Lake and...
CVS Is Closing 900 Stores
Nov 19, 2021 4:09 AM CST
CVS Is Closing 900 Stores
Many of the surviving locations will offer more health services, company says
- America's biggest pharmacy chain is planning to close stores at the rate of almost one a day over the next three years. CVS announced Thursday that it plans to close around 900 of its approximately 10,000 US locations over the next three years and improve health services at...
Things Are So Bad CVS Bought
Its Own Surveillance Van
Sep 4, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Things Are So Bad CVS Bought Its Own Surveillance Van
Retail theft has reached a whole other level
- A 17-person crime team equipped with a surveillance van outfitted with 360-degree cameras and a high-tech telescope—not exactly what you might expect from CVS. But as Rebecca Ballhaus and Shalini Ramachandran write for the
Wall Street Journal
, that's exactly what the retailer has in place to try to...
Trader Joe's Quickly
Follows CDC's Lead
May 14, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Quickly Follows CDC's Lead
Stores won't require masks for vaccinated shoppers, while other chains deliberate
- One day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changed its guidance on wearing masks, Trader Joe's changed with it. The specialty grocer said Friday that shoppers who are fully vaccinated won't have to wear masks anymore in its stores,
reports. The chain, which won'...
Pharmacy Chains Responsible
for 70% of Wasted Vaccines
May 3, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Pharmacy Chains Responsible for 70% of Wasted Vaccines
CVS and Walgreens reported some struggle with getting shots in arms
- Of the 182,874 doses of COVID vaccine wasted in the US as of late March, 128,500 were the responsibility of CVS and Walgreens. A report from Kaiser Health News says almost 50% of the doses reported to the CDC as wasted were supposed to be distributed CVS, and...
Walmart, CVS End
'Out of Step' Practice
Jun 12, 2020 10:54 AM CDT
Walmart, CVS End 'Out of Step' Practice
Drugstore chains will no longer lock up beauty products for people of color
- Companies and brands are now making extra efforts to get rid of discriminatory policies after the killing of George Floyd , and drugstore chains are following in Walmart's footsteps in terms of one merchandise segment. Earlier this week, the retailer announced it would be taking hair and beauty products made...
Female CEOs Just Made
a Record Fortune 500 List
May 19, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Female CEOs Just Made a Record Fortune 500 List
37 of the companies in the annual ranking are run by women—a record high
- This year's Fortune 500 list is out, and the top 10 companies are the same ones that made it in 2019, with Walmart in the No. 1 spot for the eighth year in a row. The real story attracting buzz, though, is that 37 of the companies are led...
In Florida, a High-Tech
Way to Get Prescriptions
Apr 28, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
In Florida, a High-Tech Way to Get Prescriptions
Drones are delivering them to retirement communities
- The coronavirus pandemic has made the idea of going out to the pharmacy a harrowing one, but not all prescriptions can be sent via mail. Enter CVS and UPS, which partnered up back in October to explore drone deliveries—and are now expanding that service, the Verge reports. Starting in...
In 2 States, a 'Giant Leap
Forward' in Virus Testing
Apr 6, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
In 2 States, a 'Giant Leap Forward' in Virus Testing
CVS Health launches 2 new rapid-testing drive-thrus in Georgia, Rhode Island
- People who think they might have COVID-19 now have two new locations to go to for confirmation: CVS Health drive-thrus in Georgia and Rhode Island. Per CNBC , the company hopes to handle up to 1,000 tests daily, using Abbott Laboratories' new rapid-testing kits, at the sites in Atlanta and...
CVS Hiring 50K People
Mar 23, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
CVS Hiring 50K People
It's also giving bonuses to employees working during the coronavirus outbreak
- Some businesses are reeling amid the coronavirus outbreak. Drugstores are not among them. CVS said Monday it was hiring 50,000 people across the US to try to keep up with demand, reports Reuters . That includes part- and full-time store associates and home delivery drivers, per
. Furloughed workers...
Sep 30, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Chains Pull Zantac After FDA Finding
FDA is looking into presence of likely carcinogen
- Walgreens and CVS have decided to stop selling Zantac in their stores, two weeks after the FDA said it found low levels of a likely carcinogen in some of the heartburn pills. The drugstore chains said the suspension of sales, which also applies to generics, will be in effect while...
CVS Closes 46 Stores.
See If Yours Is On the List
May 3, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
CVS Closes 46 Stores. See If Yours Is On the List
46 stores closed nationwide in April
- CVS Health has closed 46 "underperforming" stores, or fewer than 1% of some 9,600 locations nationwide, as it shifts its retail strategy. Taking a $135 million hit, CVS initiated the closures in April under a plan to reduce floor space for retail products and embrace more health care...
CVS to Update
Mar 9, 2019 8:00 AM CST
CVS to Update 'Haunting' On-Hold Jingle After Man Complains
Dr. Steven Schlozman just couldn't take it anymore
- A Massachusetts doctor who pleaded with CVS to change its on-hold jingle is getting his wish, per the AP . The
reports a spokeswoman for the pharmacy chain said Friday the company is in the process of updating its voice-response phone system, including the on-hold music that Dr. Steven...
This $69B Deal May Reshape
Health Care as We Know It
Oct 10, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
This $69B Deal May Reshape Health Care as We Know It
Proposed CVS-Aetna merger is approved by the DOJ
- On Wednesday, CVS all but "cemented the deal" to buy Aetna for $69 billion, by scoring the Justice Department's preliminary approval of the deal, reports CNBC . With that green light comes a condition: that Aetna complete its plan to unload its Medicare Part D prescription drug plan business,...
CVS Manager Calls Cops Over
Black Woman's Use of Coupon
Jul 16, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
CVS Manager Calls Cops Over Black Woman's Use of Coupon
The chain has apologized over incident in Chicago
- It's another story with a familiar theme : CVS has apologized after a manager in Chicago called the police over a black woman's coupon. The
reports that Camilla Hudson was trying to use a manufacturer's coupon at checkout, and the manager on duty apparently concluded that...
Amazon Just Made a Big Move
That Might Worry CVS
Jun 28, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Amazon Just Made a Big Move That Might Worry CVS
Jeff Bezos is buying PillPack, an online pharmacy that dispenses prescription drugs
- There's a reason shares of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid were tumbling Thursday, and it can be summed up in one word: Amazon. The retailing behemoth made its first significant move into the pharmacy business by buying PillPack, an online company that ships medications to customers' homes, reports the...
CVS Is Going to Stop
Airbrushing Beauty Ads
Jan 16, 2018 12:10 AM CST
CVS Is Going to Stop Airbrushing Beauty Ads
Unrealistic images are linked to negative health effects, company says
- CVS, which gave up tobacco in 2014 , says it wants to get rid of another unhealthy thing in its stores by 2020: unrealistic images of women. The nation's largest drugstore chain says it is phasing out the use of airbrushed images of models in advertising for its beauty products...
Report: To Protect a Client
and Itself, CVS to Buy Aetna
Dec 3, 2017 4:40 PM CST
Report: To Protect a Client and Itself, CVS to Buy Aetna
Deal is worth $69B, says source
- CVS will buy insurance giant Aetna in a roughly $69 billion deal that will protect a key client—and possibly protect itself from Amazon—a person with knowledge of the matter said Sunday. CVS will pay about $207 in cash and stock for each share of Aetna, according to the...
Nov 6, 2017 2:01 PM CST
CVS Takes 'Preemptive Strike' Against Amazon
It will offer same-day, next-day drug delivery
- CVS customers will soon be able to get their prescriptions, along with other merchandise, delivered for free the next day—or even the same day in some cities. The move, announced Monday, will start in 2018, and
reports it's likely a "preemptive strike" at Amazon, which...
CVS Makes $66B Move
Oct 27, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Fearing Amazon, CVS Makes $66B Move
Pairing of an insurer with a pharmaceutical company 'makes a lot of sense' to some
- It's more big news in the world of health insurance—and potentially for the wallets of consumers—though this time it doesn't revolve around the fate of ObamaCare. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that CVS has offered to buy giant insurer Aetna for $66 billion. Why? One big...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.