Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Source: Police Have Theory
in Saudi Sisters' Deaths
Aug 4, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Source: Police Have Theory in Saudi Sisters' Deaths
Law enforcement source says toxicology reports point to suicide
- Interim toxicology reports suggest two Saudi sisters found dead in their beds in Australia ingested substances as part of a suicide pact. That's according to a senior police source who spoke anonymously to the
. "It really does appear to be a tragic suicide," the source...
Police Perplexed by Case of
Sisters Found Dead in Beds
Jul 29, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Police Perplexed by Case of Sisters Found Dead in Beds
Saudi women were found in their Sydney, Australia, apartment
- Asra Abdullah Alsehli, 24, and Amaal Abdullah Alsehli, 23, moved to Sydney, Australia, from their native Saudi Arabia in 2017, possibly as asylum seekers, though that has not been officially confirmed. On June 7, they were found dead in their beds, each in their own bedroom, at their apartment. Sydney...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
Qantas Announces Big Move
Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
May 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Qantas Announces Big Move Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
Airline will offer direct flights from Sydney to London, New York starting in 2025
- The journey from Sydney to London once took nearly 60 hours and consisted of seven stops along the way. Now, an update from Qantas on that front, via what it calls its "Project Sunrise." Australia's flagship airline announced Monday that in 2025 it will debut a nonstop...
Victim of Brutal
Feb 17, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Victim of Brutal Shark Attack Is Identified
It was the first fatal attack in Sydney, Australia, since 1963
The victim of Sydney's first fatal shark attack in nearly 60 years has been identified as 35-year-old diving instructor Simon Nellist. ABC notes Nellist's "social media is filled with underwater pictures, showing him as an avid ocean lover." It's thought Nellist, who the BBC...
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988.
34 Years Later, an Admission
Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM CST
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988. 34 Years Later, an Admission
Australia's Scott White confesses in court to killing American Scott Johnson
An Australian man has admitted to murdering an American mathematician who fell to his death from a cliff in Sydney in 1988, reports the AP . Scott White admitted in court that he killed Scott Johnson, whose death was initially ruled a suicide. The 27-year-old Johnson was gay, and prosecutors...
For Australia's Biggest City,
It's COVID 'Freedom Day'
Oct 11, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
For Australia's Biggest City, It's COVID 'Freedom Day'
Sydney ends lockdown after more than 100 days
- Shops of all kinds were bustling in Australia's largest city on Monday for the first time in more than 100 days. Sydney lifted restrictions for fully vaccinated residents after reaching the milestone of having 70% of adults fully dosed, reports the AP . A post at New Scientist describes it...
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders
Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Sep 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Homeless and jobless, Darko Desic was done sleeping on an Australian beach
- An unfortunate consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic is that many people have been turned out of their homes. Fortunately for Australian authorities, one of those people is a 29-year fugitive who decided he'd rather have a roof over his head, even if it was in prison. Darko Desic had...
Australia Brings in Military
to Enforce Sydney Lockdown
Jul 30, 2021 10:48 AM CDT
Australia Brings in Military to Enforce Sydney Lockdown
PM unveils 4-step plan to reopen country
- In Australia's biggest city, the fight against a COVID outbreak that spread from an unmasked airport limo driver is not going well. The five-week Sydney lockdown was recently extended for another month and with case numbers remaining stubbornly high, the military is being called in to enforce restrictions, CNN...
Australia's Biggest City
Will Be Locked Down
for Another Month
Jul 28, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Australia's Biggest City Will Be Locked Down for Another Month
South Korea, Thailand report record numbers of new COVID cases
- Australia’s largest city, Sydney, will remain in lockdown for another month. The New South Wales state government announced that the lockdown of the city of 5 million would last at least until Aug. 28, after reporting on Wednesday 177 new infections in the latest 24-hour period, the AP reports....
This Is One of the Weirder
COVID Penalties Yet
Jun 28, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
This Is One of the Weirder COVID Penalties Yet
In Australia, 2 naked sunbathers were spooked by a deer, then fined by police
- In the annals of COVID rule breaches, this one is tough to beat for weirdness. Police near Sydney, Australia, say two naked sunbathers on a beach were spooked by a deer and ran into the nearby bushland before calling for help, reports the BBC . Police rescued the men, then promptly...
Sydney Now in
Jun 24, 2021 2:53 AM CDT
Sydney Now in 'Scariest Period' of Pandemic
Delta variant has infected dozens, including New South Wales government minister
- Sydney is going through one the "scariest" times of the pandemic as a cluster of the highly contagious Delta variant infects more people, an Australian state leader said on Thursday. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she tested negative for the coronavirus after state Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall...
Light Plane Carrying Baby
Makes Emergency Landing
May 26, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Light Plane Carrying Baby Makes Emergency Landing
Pilot, wife, and 1-year-old son were unharmed after plane experienced engine trouble over Sydney
- Beachgoers along the northern Sydney shoreline got quite a surprise Wednesday as they strolled along the sand. Per the
, one eyewitness told a radio station it was around 2pm local time at Collaroy Beach, with "not a cloud in the sky," when an odd sight suddenly floated...
Sydney Man's Surprise Case
Prompts New Restrictions
May 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Sydney Man's Surprise Case Prompts New Restrictions
Man tests positive for a variant linked to India, but how that happened is unclear
- After a month without local transmission, Australia's largest city is warning of undetected coronavirus cases after a man in his 50s tested positive Wednesday. Authorities don’t know how the Sydney resident became infected with a variant first detected in India, per Reuters . The sample matches that of a...
Are Flowing the
in case you missed it
Aug 16, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Now Waterfalls Are Flowing the Other Way
At least off the coast of Australia, where high winds wreak havoc with flowing water
- Aerial footage out of Australia shows something bizarre—waterfalls pouring over cliff edges and flying back up from whence they came, LiveScience reports. In one magical case, a rainbow even forms amid the spray. There's an explanation, of course, which involves strong winds and heavy rains that have...
Sydney: 'We Can't Cancel'
Show Despite Conditions
Dec 29, 2019 2:40 PM CST
Sydney: 'We Can't Cancel' Show Despite Conditions
The city's NYE fireworks display will likely go on
- Cancel its world-famous New Year's Eve fireworks show? No way, say Australian officials, despite concerns about holding the event while over 100 wildfires rage across the country, CNN reports. Under pressure to cancel, Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore said she was "moved by the outpouring of support...
4 'Heroes,' Milk Crate
Take Down Stabbing Suspect
Aug 13, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
4 'Heroes,' Milk Crate Take Down Stabbing Suspect
1 dead, 1 injured following Tuesday's chaotic scene in Sydney
- Two women were stabbed—one fatally—in Sydney, Australia, on Tuesday, before a male suspect was tackled by "the highest order of heroes." Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said four men chased a man seen with a butcher knife in the city center around 2pm local time before apprehending...
Cops: Guy Busted
With $140M in
Meth Had a 'Very,
Very Bad Day'
Jul 23, 2019 8:16 AM CDT
Cops: Guy Busted With $140M in Meth Had a 'Very, Very Bad Day'
Van said to have crashed into parked police cars was carrying a lot of meth
- If you're going to be driving around with $140 million worth of meth, what definitely falls under the "you had one job" category is to avoid getting pulled over by the cops—or crashing into a couple of cop cars. This week, one man in Sydney, Australia, allegedly...
Giveaway for Plane
Bomb Plot: His Bag
Was Too Heavy
May 1, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Giveaway for Plane Bomb Plot: His Bag Was Too Heavy
Khaled Khayat convicted in 2017 plot in Australia after trying to smuggle bomb in meat grinder
- A man tried to blow up a plane carrying 400 people with a bomb hidden inside a meat grinder but was reportedly thwarted because his bag was too heavy to be checked in. The BBC reports Khaled Khayat, 51, was convicted by a jury Wednesday in Australia, where he was...
Staffers Drag Women
Outside After They Take
8 Shots Each, Collapse
Jul 9, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
Staffers Drag Women Outside After They Take 8 Shots Each, Collapse
Sydney restaurant has now been penalized over November incident
- A Sydney restaurant served two women eight shots of liquor apiece in 40 minutes—then, when they collapsed, staff and other patrons carried them outside (as one of them vomited) and left them there. The incident took place in November, but is making headlines now due to officials sanctioning Gangnam...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.