Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Who Wants to Give Birth in a
Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Sep 30, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Who Wants to Give Birth in a Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Cape Coral resident Amanda Mahr's baby is named George, not Ian
- Amid the nightmarish news out of Florida in the wake of Ian, a bright spot comes via a 10-pound, 6-ounce package delivered in Cape Coral. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of 36-year-old Amanda Mahr, and her husband, Matthew, 37, as they hunkered down to ride out the...
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years
or Longer Should Be Supported
Jun 29, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years or Longer Should Be Supported
American Academy of Pediatrics updates its guidance for first time in decade
- The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday updated its breastfeeding guidance for the first time in a decade. In addition to sticking with its recommendation that infants be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life, it for the first time included a recommendation that we support parents who...
After COVID and
for Mom, Infant
Feb 26, 2022 9:00 AM CST
After COVID and 2-Month Wait, Emotional Reunion for Mom, Infant
'I got to finally see my baby that I was waiting for so long to see,' says NH's Macenzee Keller
- After giving birth, most new moms can't wait to see their child. For Macenzee Keller, it would take more than two months, as she fought for her life against COVID-19 while under sedation and breathing with the help of machines. Mother and child were reunited on Feb. 3 when...
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other
Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Feb 1, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Baby born over the Atlantic on flight from Ghana to US
- No one wants to hear "Is there a doctor on board?" while they're halfway through an 11-hour journey over the Atlantic. Luckily for one mom-to-be, there was not only a doctor, but also a nurse and a former nurse on United Airlines Flight 997, and they all helped...
After the Plane Landed, Baby
Found in Bathroom Trash Can
Jan 3, 2022 8:48 AM CST
After the Plane Landed, Baby Found in Bathroom Trash Can
The child survived
- Two stories of abandoned newborns made headlines over the holiday weekend:
A plane that departed Madagascar and arrived in Mauritius on Saturday underwent a routine customs check upon landing—with results that were anything but routine. The BBC reports the airport staff discovered a newborn baby in the trash can
Baby Girls Were
Switched in 2002
Sep 7, 2021 5:59 PM CDT
Hospitals Discovers Baby Girls Were Switched in 2002
'It was a human error and we haven’t been able to find out who was to blame'
- Health authorities in Spain are blaming human error for the switching of two baby girls in a maternity ward almost 20 years ago, after one of them discovered by chance through a DNA test as a teenager that she wasn’t the daughter of her presumed parents. "It was...
Baby Born on
Gets Fitting Name
Aug 27, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Baby Born on Evacuation Plane Gets Fitting Name
Meet Reach, named for the C-17 aircraft with 'Reach 828' call sign
- The name of a baby girl born last weekend aboard a military aircraft evacuating her mother out of Afghanistan has been revealed—and it's in honor of the plane that carried her family away from the Taliban-seized country. Gen. Tod Wolters, the head of the US European Command, told...
Family Member Have
a Baby? Hug a Bag of Rice
Aug 10, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Family Member Have a Baby? Hug a Bag of Rice
It's a workaround in Japan for relatives who can't visit with newborns during the pandemic
- Congratulations, you're the proud new grandfather of a bouncing baby ... bag of rice? That's the idea behind a product created by Kome no Zoto Yoshimiya, a rice company in Japan owned by Naruo Ono. Relatives who can't visit new parents due to the pandemic will instead receive...
Mom Arrested in Newborn's
Death, 14 Years Later
Jul 8, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Mom Arrested in Newborn's Death, 14 Years Later
Another cold case helped along by DNA evidence in 2007 homicide in Pennsylvania
- "Baby Mary Anne" would have been 14 this year, had she not been killed as a newborn and dumped in a trash bin at a Pennsylvania YMCA. Now, justice may be around the corner, thanks to DNA evidence that has helped along yet another cold case. PennLive.com reports...
Gay Couple Not Allowed
to Bring Newborn Twins Home
Apr 19, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Gay Couple Not Allowed to Bring Newborn Twins Home
Namibia won't let girls into country, where their married fathers live
- A gay couple who lives in the African nation of Namibia saw their family expand to five with the birth of newborn twins via surrogate. One big problem: The girls aren't being allowed into the country, reports Reuters . On Monday, a Namibian court refused to let Phillip Luhl bring...
Nurses Saw Fire
in Newborn Unit.
For 10 Infants, It
Was Too Late
Jan 9, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Nurses Saw Fire in Newborn Unit. For 10 Infants, It Was Too Late
Officials did manage to rescue 7 babies at hospital in Bhandara, India
- A fire broke out in the intensive care unit of a government-run hospital in western India early Saturday, killing 10 infants, police and news reports said, per the AP . A preliminary investigation suggests the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit, a police rep says. The Press Trust of...
With New CDC Stat, a
US 'Baby Bust' Continues
May 20, 2020 8:24 AM CDT
With New CDC Stat, a US 'Baby Bust' Continues
Births in America fell about 1% from 2018, leading to fewest number of newborns in 35 years
- US births continued to fall last year, leading to the fewest number of newborns in 35 years. The decline is the latest sign of a prolonged national "baby bust" that's been going on for more than a decade, the AP notes. Some experts believe the coronavirus pandemic and...
They Hid Under Beds.
One Mom Was Killed
Holding Her Newborn
May 13, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
They Hid Under Beds. One Mom Was Killed Holding Her Newborn
Death toll in pair of attacks Tuesday in Afghanistan climbs to 56
- The death toll in Tuesday's attack on an Afghan hospital's maternity ward has climbed to 24, while deaths from a later attack on a funeral have risen to 32, per the BBC . The terror began around 10am with blasts and gunfire heard at the Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in Kabul....
Wonder No More About
Meaning of Baby Musk's Name
May 6, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Wonder No More About Meaning of Baby Musk's Name
Tesla CEO's girlfriend Grimes explains what X Æ A-12 stands for
- It's not clear where the happy family of three is going to live long term yet, but Elon Musk, girlfriend Grimes, and little X Æ A-12 Musk will soon be settling in at home together. And it looks like the curious won't have to wonder any longer what...
Police: 5 Newborns
Poisoned in Same Ward
Jan 31, 2020 3:05 PM CST
Police: 5 Newborns Poisoned in Same Ward
German authorities are poised to charge nurse with attempted manslaughter
- Doctors were stumped when five babies struggled to breathe at a German hospital. Then came urine tests, a police probe, and a painful find: breast milk mixed with morphine in a syringe in a nurse's locker at the University Hospital of Ulm. Now the nurse has been arrested and...
This Is Why We Hiccup
Nov 13, 2019 11:25 AM CST
This Is Why We Hiccup
Involuntary movement may help infants learn to breathe: researchers
- There's no known advantage to an adult hiccup. An infant one, however, could play a key role in brain development. That's according to University College London researchers who previously conjectured that a baby discovers its body via kicks in the womb. In this study, they used electrodes on...
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then,
the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Sep 13, 2019 11:44 AM CDT
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then, the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Newborn Christina Malone-Brown was born at 9:11pm weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces
- A Mississippi couple welcomed a 9-pound, 11-ounce baby into the world on 9/11, at 9:11pm, the AP reports. The
reports Christina Malone-Brown was born by cesarean section at a hospital in Germantown, Tenn. Christina's father, Justin Brown, says bystanders joked his family should play the lottery....
'Extraordinary Case' Leads
to Record-Setting Pregnancy
Sep 4, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
'Extraordinary Case' Leads to Record-Setting Pregnancy
Healthy baby girl born in Czech Republic to brain-dead mom who'd suffered stroke 117 days earlier
- For nearly four months, Czech medical staff kept a brain-dead pregnant woman on life support, touching her stomach, moving her legs to simulate walking, and talking to her unborn child. On Aug. 15, the fruit of their efforts was born: a healthy baby girl, weighing 4 pounds, 11 ounces and...
Docs Spent 10 Hours Trying to
Save Newborn. Now, 2 Arrests
Jul 22, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Docs Spent 10 Hours Trying to Save Newborn. Now, 2 Arrests
Baby Diego's mother, her boyfriend accused of strangulation that led to infant's death
- She gave birth on Thursday, but by Friday evening, Andrea Torralba Camacho's newborn son was dead. Now, Camacho, 20, and her 21-year-old boyfriend, David Luna Villa, have been arrested after medical staff at St. John's Regional Medical Center in Oxnard, Calif., reported the baby suffered a "suspicious...
Her Life Began in a
Plastic Bag. Now, Hopes
for a 'Wonderful' Life
Jun 29, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Her Life Began in a Plastic Bag. Now, Hopes for a 'Wonderful' Life
Hundreds want to adopt Baby India, an abandoned newborn found in Ga. woods earlier this month
- Baby India had an admittedly rough start to life, but the newborn abandoned in the Georgia woods earlier this month is doing well and now has lots of people hoping to make her their own. The director of the state's Division of Family and Children Services tells the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.