Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With This STD Exploding,
'Something Is Not Working Here'
Nov 8, 2023 7:50 AM CST
With This STD Exploding, 'Something Is Not Working Here'
Congenital syphilis cases in US newborns skyrocketed last year
- Alarmed by yet another jump in syphilis cases in newborns, US health officials are calling for stepped-up prevention measures, including encouraging millions of women of childbearing age and their partners to get tested for the sexually transmitted disease. More than 3,700 babies were born with congenital syphilis in 2022—...
US Infant Mortality Rate
Went the Wrong Way Last Year
Nov 1, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
US Infant Mortality Rate Went the Wrong Way Last Year
At 3%, it's the largest increase in 2 decades, reports the CDC
- The US infant mortality rate rose 3% last year—the largest increase in two decades, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. White and Native American infants, infant boys, and babies born at 37 weeks or earlier had significant death rate increases, reports the AP . The CDC's...
Shocking Find for 2 Seniors:
'My Whole Past Is Gone'
Aug 13, 2023 6:43 AM CDT
Shocking Find for 2 Seniors: 'My Whole Past Is Gone'
Canadian men discover they were switched at birth, now wish they'd never found out
- Two Canadian seniors were born 67 years ago in the same small rural hospital in Arborg, Manitoba, and those babies left the maternity ward with different families, their paths seemingly destined to never cross again. Now, Richard Beauvais, a commercial fisherman in British Columbia, and Eddy Ambrose, a retired upholsterer...
Suit: Doctor Decapitated
Baby During Delivery
Aug 10, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Suit: Doctor Decapitated Baby During Delivery
Jessica Ross alleges the funeral home was the one to tell her what had occurred
- A Georgia woman says she suffered "tremendous mental and physical anguish and trauma" after her baby was allegedly decapitated during delivery. Jessica Ross on Wednesday sued the hospital and various personnel involved in the July delivery of her son. FOX 5 Atlanta reports Ross, 20, went to Southern Regional...
Begins New Chapter
Jul 12, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Begins New Chapter
Tennis star welcomes baby girl with boyfriend Cordae
- Naomi Osaka is officially a mom. The four-time Grand Slam singles champion has given birth to her first child, a baby girl, in Los Angeles, the Women's Tennis Association announced Tuesday. The 25-year-old revealed her pregnancy in January before calling out sexist criticism of the move to have a...
Mother Reports Teen Daughter
After Grisly Find in Trash
May 23, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Mother Reports Teen Daughter After Grisly Find in Trash
Police say older woman found 2 newborns in the trash
- It's a brutal story out of Cleveland: A woman called police to report finding the bodies of twin newborns in a garbage can, reports Cleveland.com . What's more, she also told police that it was her own 16-year-old daughter who'd given birth to the twins days earlier...
Daniel Radcliffe Is a Dad
Apr 25, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Daniel Radcliffe Is a Dad
Actor, girlfriend Erin Darke are seen pushing stroller in NYC after confirming pregnancy in March
- The world watched Daniel Radcliffe grow up on screen as Harry Potter, and Radcliffe apparently has a new little one to watch grow up. A Radcliffe rep confirmed that longtime girlfriend Erin Darke was pregnant in March, though no one from Team Radcliffe or Darke has confirmed the birth; Radcliffe,...
Apr 10, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Hilary Swank Posts Easter Surprise
'Alaska Daily' actor has had her twins, a boy and a girl, per Instagram post
- Looks like Hilary Swank's home had two extra Easter baskets this year. The 48-year-old
Million Dollar Baby
actor has given birth to twins with her husband of nearly five years, Philip Schneider, as evidenced by a Sunday entry on Instagram, per CNN . "It wasn't...
'Kind of a Shock'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 18, 2023 4:35 PM CST
'Kind of a Shock' on Newborns in Mississippi
There were 10 babies with congenital syphilis in the state in 2016; in 2021, 102, per analysis
- Mississippi, the nation's poorest state , already claims the worst infant mortality rate in the US. Now, more bad news for newborns there: The number of babies treated for congenital syphilis—meaning the infection is passed down from mother to baby during gestation—spiked 900% over five years, rising from...
Mother Trapped in
Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Feb 7, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Mother Trapped in Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Sadly, the mother died after earthquake in Syria, but her newborn was rescued
- Thousands are dead after a devastating earthquake that wreaked havoc in Turkey and Syria, but there are small pieces of good news amid the carnage. First, a toddler was pulled out of the rubble Monday in the Syrian city of Azaz; that was followed by the rescue of a 14-year-old...
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant
Killed by Family Dog
Dec 23, 2022 9:42 AM CST
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant Killed by Family Dog
An investigation in Cave Springs, Arkansas, is ongoing after newborn is fatally mauled
- Arkansas police say a newborn girl was killed earlier this month after her family's dog fatally mauled her. Lt. Keith Lawson of the Cave Springs Police Department tells KNWA the attack took place at the unidentified family's home shortly after noon on Dec. 14. Gray News and 40/29...
'We Will Never Forgive':
Strike Kills 2-Day-Old Ukrainian
Nov 23, 2022 10:00 AM CST
'We Will Never Forgive': Strike Kills 2-Day-Old Ukrainian
Overnight rocket attack destroys hospital maternity ward in southern Ukraine
- A maternity unit in Ukraine's southern Zaporizhzhia region held a single mother and newborn when it was struck by a Russian missile overnight, reports the BBC . The baby, a 2-day-old boy named Kyrylo Kamyanskyi, didn't survive the attack; his mother Maria and a doctor who suffered some burns...
Who Wants to Give Birth in a
Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Sep 30, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Who Wants to Give Birth in a Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Cape Coral resident Amanda Mahr's baby is named George, not Ian
- Amid the nightmarish news out of Florida in the wake of Ian, a bright spot comes via a 10-pound, 6-ounce package delivered in Cape Coral. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of 36-year-old Amanda Mahr, and her husband, Matthew, 37, as they hunkered down to ride out the...
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years
or Longer Should Be Supported
Jun 29, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years or Longer Should Be Supported
American Academy of Pediatrics updates its guidance for first time in decade
- The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday updated its breastfeeding guidance for the first time in a decade. In addition to sticking with its recommendation that infants be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life, it for the first time included a recommendation that we support parents who...
After COVID and
for Mom, Infant
Feb 26, 2022 9:00 AM CST
After COVID and 2-Month Wait, Emotional Reunion for Mom, Infant
'I got to finally see my baby that I was waiting for so long to see,' says NH's Macenzee Keller
- After giving birth, most new moms can't wait to see their child. For Macenzee Keller, it would take more than two months, as she fought for her life against COVID-19 while under sedation and breathing with the help of machines. Mother and child were reunited on Feb. 3 when...
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other
Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Feb 1, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Baby born over the Atlantic on flight from Ghana to US
- No one wants to hear "Is there a doctor on board?" while they're halfway through an 11-hour journey over the Atlantic. Luckily for one mom-to-be, there was not only a doctor, but also a nurse and a former nurse on United Airlines Flight 997, and they all helped...
After the Plane Landed, Baby
Found in Bathroom Trash Can
Jan 3, 2022 8:48 AM CST
After the Plane Landed, Baby Found in Bathroom Trash Can
The child survived
- Two stories of abandoned newborns made headlines over the holiday weekend:
A plane that departed Madagascar and arrived in Mauritius on Saturday underwent a routine customs check upon landing—with results that were anything but routine. The BBC reports the airport staff discovered a newborn baby in the trash can
Baby Girls Were
Switched in 2002
Sep 7, 2021 5:59 PM CDT
Hospitals Discovers Baby Girls Were Switched in 2002
'It was a human error and we haven’t been able to find out who was to blame'
- Health authorities in Spain are blaming human error for the switching of two baby girls in a maternity ward almost 20 years ago, after one of them discovered by chance through a DNA test as a teenager that she wasn’t the daughter of her presumed parents. "It was...
Baby Born on
Gets Fitting Name
Aug 27, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Baby Born on Evacuation Plane Gets Fitting Name
Meet Reach, named for the C-17 aircraft with 'Reach 828' call sign
- The name of a baby girl born last weekend aboard a military aircraft evacuating her mother out of Afghanistan has been revealed—and it's in honor of the plane that carried her family away from the Taliban-seized country. Gen. Tod Wolters, the head of the US European Command, told...
Family Member Have
a Baby? Hug a Bag of Rice
Aug 10, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Family Member Have a Baby? Hug a Bag of Rice
It's a workaround in Japan for relatives who can't visit with newborns during the pandemic
- Congratulations, you're the proud new grandfather of a bouncing baby ... bag of rice? That's the idea behind a product created by Kome no Zoto Yoshimiya, a rice company in Japan owned by Naruo Ono. Relatives who can't visit new parents due to the pandemic will instead receive...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.