Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In France, a New Clothing
Ban Irks Muslims
Aug 28, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
In France, a New Clothing Ban Irks Muslims
Hijabs, face veils were already barred in schools in the name of secularism; now, the abaya robe is, too
- First France banned headscarves in its public schools, then full face veils. Now, the abaya, a long, baggy robe worn by practicing Muslim girls and women in the name of modesty, joins the list of banned attire in the nation's classrooms. Reuters reports that new Education Minister Gabriel Attal...
Afghan Religious Scholars
Speak Out on Educating Girls
Apr 8, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Afghan Religious Scholars Speak Out on Educating Girls
Taliban minister warns clerics about complaining
- Afghan religious scholars on Saturday criticized a ban on educating women and girls, after a key Taliban minister warned clerics not to rebel against the government on the issue. Girls cannot go to school beyond sixth grade in Afghanistan, with the education ban extending to universities . Women are barred from...
Cops: She Was
Detained for Hijab
Sep 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Detained for Hijab 'Education.' Now She's Dead
Outrage in Iran after witnesses say Mahsa Amini died after being beaten by 'morality police'
- The existence of Iran's "morality police"—authorities who patrol the streets to ensure Islamic code on how women dress is being followed—has been increasingly under fire there, and a young woman's death this week has just exacerbated the backlash. Witnesses say 22-year-old Mahsa Amini died...
Gulf Nations Tell Netflix
to Remove 'Offensive Content'
Sep 6, 2022 6:26 PM CDT
Gulf Nations Tell Netflix to Remove 'Offensive Content'
Request involves programs that 'contradict Islamic and societal values'
- Gulf Arab countries on Tuesday asked Netflix to remove "offensive content" on the streaming service, apparently targeting programs that show gays and lesbians, per the AP. A joint statement issued on behalf of a committee of the Gulf Cooperation Council made the request, saying the unspecified programs "contradict...
Why Some Jews, Muslims,
See Roe Reversal as an Attack
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
Their religions allow for abortions, some argue
- The role of religion in the abortion debate is getting a lot of attention in the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade—but when it comes to certain religions, some say the reversal represents an infringement of their religious liberty. Some Jewish groups have been very vocal...
They Said Her
Racist. But They
Jul 8, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
They Said Her Rants Were Racist. But They Were Convicted
11 found to have harassed teen who posted anti-Islam videos
- Eleven people have been convicted of the online harassment of a schoolgirl who posted rants against Islam , in a controversial case out of France. The girl identified only as Mila changed schools and underwent police protection after receiving what her lawyer said was more than 100,000 abusive messages, including...
Oops: State's Biggest Paper
Jun 22, 2020 4:29 AM CDT
Oops: State's Biggest Paper Publishes Full-Page Anti-Islam Ad
'Tennessean' investigating how ad got through approval process
- Somehow, a full-page ad claiming "Islam" would be detonating a bomb in Nashville appeared in the
newspaper Sunday. The paper, Tennessee's largest , is now apologizing, and saying it will probe how the ad came to be published, the
New York Times
reports. "Clearly there was a...
Iran Fails to Launch Rocket,
Warns of 'Fake News'
Feb 9, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Iran Fails to Launch Rocket, Warns of 'Fake News'
Iran couldn't put the Zafar 1 communications satellite into orbit
- An Iranian rocket failed to put a satellite into orbit on Sunday, state television reported, the latest setback for a program the US claims helps Tehran advance its ballistic missile program, the AP reports. The launch happened at 7:15pm local time at Imam Khomeini Spaceport in Iran’s Semnan...
Dec 29, 2019 12:02 PM CST
Lawmaker Brings Back Contest That Angers Many Muslims
Geert Wilders revives the Mohammed cartoon competition
- Nothing like a good contest caricaturing the Prophet Mohammad—if you're a firebrand politician, that is. Far-right Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders said Saturday he was reviving a contest for Mohammad cartoons after he had dropped such a plan last year amid fear of attacks, Reuters reports. "Freedom of...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Feb 6, 2019 9:10 AM CST
Cubs Owner Blasted for Controversial Emails on Obama, Islam
Among others sent by Joe Ricketts
- Splinter's "Billionaire's Inbox" offers a look at how "the other half" lives, and its most recent dive is quite the eye-opener. The news outlet got its hands on what the
New York Times
calls "a cache of racist emails" both sent and received by Joe...
Sinead O'Connor Has
New Name, New Religion
Oct 26, 2018 3:02 AM CDT
Sinead O'Connor Has New Name, New Religion
She declares conversion to Islam
- Another major life change for Sinead O'Connor: The Irish singer, who legally changed her name to Magda Davitt last year, now has another new name—and a new religion. "This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim," she tweeted last week. "...
Egypt's Goalkeeper Won't
Take Budweiser Award
Jun 17, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Egypt's Goalkeeper Won't Take Budweiser Award
Mohamed Elshenawy declined to receive a player of the match trophy at the World Cup for religious reasons
- An Egypt team official has confirmed goalkeeper Mohamed Elshenawy declined to receive a player of the match trophy at the World Cup for religious reasons, per the AP. The trophy, an artistic red goblet, is sponsored by Budweiser. Islam prohibits the consumption of alcohol. Egypt team director Ihab Leheta told...
Austria Plans to Close
Mosques, Expel Imams
Jun 8, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Austria Plans to Close Mosques, Expel Imams
Chancellor announces crackdown on 'political Islam'
- Austria's government said Friday that it's closing seven mosques and plans to expel imams in a crackdown on "political Islam" and foreign financing of religious groups. Chancellor Sebastian Kurz says the government is shutting a hard-line Turkish nationalist mosque in Vienna and dissolving a group called the...
Suit: While in Custody,
Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
May 8, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Suit: While in Custody, Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
Jennifer Hyatt says Ventura County officers yanked off her hijab while she was in custody
- What started out as a husband-wife incident has led to a federal lawsuit against the sheriff's office in California's Ventura County after the wife says deputies forcibly removed her head scarf while in custody. The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the case of nurse Jennifer Hyatt, 44, who...
Trump Shares Far-Right
Group's Anti-Muslim Videos
Nov 29, 2017 9:00 AM CST
Trump Shares Far-Right Group's Anti-Muslim Videos
They came from Jayda Fransen, ultranationalist figure in Britain
- President Trump had a busy morning on Twitter Wednesday, and his decision to retweet three anti-Muslim videos is making headlines not only in the US but in the UK. That's because the videos originated with an ultranationalist political figure in Britain named Jayda Fransen. The videos, here , here , and...
Crown Prince to
Open Saudi Arabia
'to the World'
Oct 25, 2017 8:47 AM CDT
Crown Prince to Open Saudi Arabia 'to the World'
He says move to 'moderate Islam' will better the country
- Prince Mohammed bin Salman, heir to Saudi Arabia's throne, wants to move the hardline kingdom toward "a moderate Islam open to the world and all religions." In an interview with the
, Prince Mohammed says past leaders instituted strict rules on behavior and dress in response to...
Man Jailed for Bringing Guns
to Anti-Islam Event
Oct 17, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Man Jailed for Bringing Guns to Anti-Islam Event
'Be scared,' he said in Facebook video
- A South Dakota man who carried guns into an anti-Islam speaking event and livestreamed a Facebook video from outside afterward has been sentenced. Ehab Jaber, of Sioux Falls, pleaded guilty in July to a federal firearms charge. On Monday, US District Judge Lawrence Piersol sentenced the 46-year-old to seven months...
From Viking Clothing
Fragments, a 'Staggering' Find
Oct 13, 2017 12:11 PM CDT
From Viking Clothing Fragments, a 'Staggering' Find
The word 'Allah' opens the possibility that some Vikings were Muslim
- Is it possible some Vikings were Muslim? That's a question the
is asking following the discovery of Viking funeral garb embroidered with ancient Arabic characters spelling "Allah." Annika Larsson of Uppsala University tells the BBC she was examining fragments of clothing discovered in 1,000-year-old...
3 Words Can't
Get Men an Instant
Divorce Anymore: Court
Aug 22, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
3 Words Can't Get Men an Instant Divorce Anymore: Court
India outlaws 'triple talaq'
- India's Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down the Muslim practice that allows men to instantly divorce their wives as unconstitutional. The bench, comprising five senior judges of different faiths, deliberated for three months before issuing its order in response to petitions from seven Muslim women who had been divorced...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.