Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Guest Posts Review,
Hotel Shows Her the Door
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2021 6:30 AM CST
After Guest Posts Review, Hotel Shows Her the Door
Police tell woman it's legal to kick her out
- Susan Leger and her granddaughter, 6, were settled in for the night at the Baymont Inn & Suites when the phone rang. It was the manager of the Georgia hotel, WXIA reports. "This guy is on my cellphone ranting at me, and he said that he's kicking me...
This Labor Day, a 'Perilous
Crossroads' for Millions
Sep 6, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
This Labor Day, a 'Perilous Crossroads' for Millions
With eviction moratorium expired, millions of Americans will now lose all unemployment benefits
- Mary Taboniar went 15 months without a paycheck, thanks to the pandemic. A housekeeper at a resort in Honolulu, the single mom of two saw her income completely vanish as the virus devastated the hospitality industry. For more than a year, Taboniar depended entirely on boosted unemployment benefits and a...
Evictions Can Resume
Aug 27, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
Supreme Court: Evictions Can Resume
Conservative majority blocks Biden administration
- The Supreme Court's conservative majority is allowing evictions to resume across the US, blocking the Biden administration from enforcing a temporary ban that was put in place because of the coronavirus pandemic. The court's action late Thursday ends protections for roughly 3.5 million people who said they...
Mom on Brink of Eviction
Raised $200K. Now, a Twist
in case you missed it
Aug 14, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom on Brink of Eviction Raised $200K. Now, a Twist
Dasha Kelly admits she's not biological mom of 3 girls shown with her
- A Nevada mom with three young girls touched people around the nation after CNN profiled her plight about being on the verge of eviction—so much so that a GoFundMe she set up raised nearly $200,000 as of Wednesday. There's now been somewhat of a twist in Dasha...
Relief for Mom Who
Sold Blood Plasma
to Feed Her Kids
Aug 4, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Relief for Mom Who Sold Blood Plasma to Feed Her Kids
Las Vegas mother Dasha Kelly, on verge of eviction, receives $200K through GoFundMe
- The CDC on Tuesday issued a new "targeted" moratorium through Oct. 3 that will keep people from being evicted in areas of the country with "substantial and high levels of community transmission" of COVID. This pause came days after an old one had expired, leaving millions vulnerable to...
As Moratorium Ends,
Aug 3, 2021 2:34 AM CDT
As Moratorium Ends, Evictions Surge
Activists fear millions could be out on the street as delta variant takes hold
- Gabe Imondi, a 74-year-old landlord from Rhode Island, had come to court hoping to get his apartment back. He was tired of waiting for federal rental assistance and wondered aloud “what they’re doing with that money?" Hours later, Luis Vertentes, in a different case, was told by a...
No One Seems Able
to Save Eviction Ban
Jul 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
No One Seems Able to Save Eviction Ban
Lawmakers vent at Biden while pushing CDC to act
- With the national moratorium on evictions by landlords expiring at midnight, members of Congress on Saturday expressed frustration—sometimes angrily—that no one has acted to preserve it. House Democrats tried to pass legislation extending the ban on Friday night but failed, ABC reports. "We are only hours away...
Administration Says It
Can't Save Eviction Ban
Jul 29, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Administration Says It Can't Save Eviction Ban
3.6M renters say they could be kicked out soon
- The Biden administration announced Thursday it will allow a nationwide ban on evictions to expire Saturday, arguing that its hands are tied after the Supreme Court signaled the moratorium would only be extended until the end of the month. The White House said President Biden would have liked to extend...
New York Man Still Dodging
Eviction After 20 Years
Jul 4, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
New York Man Still Dodging Eviction After 20 Years
Guramrit Hanspal has made just one mortgage payment since 1998
- A New York man who hasn't made a mortgage payment on his Long Island home in over 20 years has dodged eviction yet again. Per the
New York Post
, Guramrit Hanspal was saved from being kicked out on the streets yet again last week when a judge agreed to...
Olympics Have Twice Forced
This Man From His Home
Jul 2, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Olympics Have Twice Forced This Man From His Home
Kohei Jinno describes 'sad, lonely feeling' as start date approaches
- Kohei Jinno is among the minority in Japan who feel this summer's Olympic Games should go on. Otherwise, it would mean he was booted from his home of a half-century for nothing. The 87-year-old and his wife, Yasuko, were one of some 200 families forced out of a public...
Renters Get What Is Likely
Their Last Reprieve
Jun 24, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Renters Get What Is Likely Their Last Reprieve
White House extends eviction moratorium one month through July
- The Biden administration has extended the nationwide ban on evictions for a month to help tenants unable to make rent payments because of the pandemic, but it said this is expected to be the last time it does so. CDC chief Dr. Rochelle Walensky extended the evictions moratorium until July...
Judge Tosses CDC's
May 5, 2021 3:11 PM CDT
Judge Tosses CDC's Eviction Moratorium
Federal judge says agency exceeded its authority
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention exceeded its legal authority in September when it issued an unprecedented nationwide ban on evictions of renters who lost income during the pandemic, a federal judge decided Wednesday. US District Judge Dabney Friedrich threw out the eviction ban, which had been due to...
She Decided to Rent Out a
Bedroom. It Was a Bad Move
in case you missed it
Feb 7, 2021 2:02 PM CST
She Decided to Rent Out a Bedroom. It Was a Bad Move
One tale of misery from NYC
- On March 20, 2020, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered a stop to all eviction proceedings in the state. It gave many residents the breathing room they needed amid pandemic job losses. For Heidi Russell, it prolonged an absolute nightmare. In a lengthy piece for
New York Magazine
, Bridget Read...
Woman's Fear of
Eviction Led to
Jan 30, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Cops: Japan Woman's Fear of Eviction Led to Gruesome Act
Yumi Yoshino stashed mom's body in freezer for 10 years so she could stay in apartment: authorities
- A Japanese woman is being detained "on suspicion of abandoning and hiding a female body"—with the body being that of her own mother. Per the
, cops say that 48-year-old Yumi Yoshino kept her mom's remains for about 10 years in a freezer in their once-shared...
Sep 2, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
CDC Issues Unprecedented Eviction Ban
Landlords barred from evicting tenants in certain conditions, through the end of the year
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday issued an unprecedented order barring landlords from evicting tenants who can't afford rent because they lost income due to the coronavirus pandemic. The ban applies to tenants who expect to make less than $99,000 ($198,000 for joint-filing couples)...
on COVID Relief
Aug 6, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Trump Threatens Executive Action on COVID Relief
Move would likely trigger another court battle; negotiations continue
- With a coronavirus relief deal still elusive , President Trump is considering executive orders—he detailed three of them on Wednesday—unless a deal is reached by Friday. "My administration is exploring executive actions to provide protections against eviction" as well as "looking at a term-limited suspension of the...
After 30 Years Alone on an
Island, He's Told to Clear Out
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
After 30 Years Alone on an Island, He's Told to Clear Out
Italian authorities say Mauro Morandi has no claim to Budelli
- It's a good time to be living alone on "one of the most beautiful islands in the entire Mediterranean." But the quiet paradise Mauro Morandi has enjoyed for 30 years on the Isle of Budelli off the coast of Sardinia will soon be taken from him, reports...
Kudlow on Next
'There's a $1.2K
Jul 27, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Kudlow on Next Stimulus Bill: 'There's a $1.2K Check Coming'
Senate GOPers set to reveal $1T coronavirus relief package on Monday
- Senate Republicans are set to release a $1 trillion coronavirus relief package on Monday, and with that deal, Americans can expect checks similar to the ones sent out in the last round. "There's a $1,200 check coming," White House chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow said in...
Landlord Told a Family to
Get Out, Now Faces Charges
Apr 10, 2020 8:10 AM CDT
Landlord Told a Family to Get Out, Now Faces Charges
Howard Mostad allegedly tried to kick out family with ill 4-year-old
- A landlord who tried to kick a family out of their home despite Minnesota's ban on evictions during the coronavirus crisis is facing charges—and has been ordered to restore their electricity. Authorities say Howard Mostad on March 4 told a Pine County family of three they had to...
Homeless Moms Evicted From
Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
Jan 15, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Homeless Moms Evicted From Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
'This isn't over'
- Four people were arrested Tuesday when Alameda County Sheriff's deputies showed up to evict a group of homeless mothers who'd taken up residence in a vacant home in Oakland, Calif. NBC News and the
report that members of Moms 4 Housing, an activist group trying to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.