Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Jumped Daycare's Wall,
Killed 4 Kids With Hatchet
Apr 5, 2023 12:38 PM CDT
Man Jumped Daycare's Wall, Killed 4 Kids With Hatchet
Victims are said to be between the ages of 5 and 7
- A 25-year-old man armed with a hatchet jumped a wall, gained access to a daycare center in Brazil around 9am Wednesday, and murdered four children, police say. The victims are said to include three boys and a girl between the ages of five and seven, reports the BBC . The AP...
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
Child Tells Mom After Day Care:
It Was 'Hot, and It Was Dark'
Nov 17, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Child Tells Mom After Day Care: It Was 'Hot, and It Was Dark'
Mich. woman has license revoked after one child under her care put another in the clothes dryer
- "Mommy, someone put me in the clothes dryer today" isn't what most parents would want to hear after picking their kids up from day care. But a Michigan woman's license has now been revoked after that apparently happened at her home in Garden City. Per the
Daycare Owner Sentenced for
Hiding Kids Behind Fake Wall
Oct 23, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
Daycare Owner Sentenced for Hiding Kids Behind Fake Wall
Colorado Springs facility had 25 kids but was licensed for 6
- A woman who kept more than two dozen kids behind a false wall in a basement was sentenced to six years in prison Thursday. Carla Faith was found guilty of 26 counts of child abuse, and some other charges, including running a daycare without a license, in August. Police found...
Daycare Owner Arrested After
Cops Look Behind False Wall
Dec 27, 2019 5:13 AM CST
Daycare Owner Arrested After Cops Look Behind False Wall
Police found 26 kids in basement area
- A Colorado woman accused of hiding 26 children behind a false wall at her daycare center was arrested for investigation of misdemeanor child abuse, police said Thursday. Carla Faith, 58, was arrested Monday in Colorado Springs on suspicion of two counts of reckless child abuse without injury and a single...
Toddlers Wander From
Daycare Onto the Street
Oct 6, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Toddlers Wander From Daycare Onto the Street
Seems they left Little Sunshine's Playhouse & Preschool through a shoddy gate
- A suburban Phoenix preschool is under investigation after several toddlers wandered away and onto a street without notice, the AP reports. The
reports that seven toddlers walked away from the Little Sunshine's Playhouse & Preschool in Gilbert and into traffic Friday morning. Several drivers had to slam...
3 Infants, One Just 3 Days Old,
Stabbed at NYC Daycare
Sep 21, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
3 Infants, One Just 3 Days Old, Stabbed at NYC Daycare
Woman in custody; all are expected to survive
- Police in New York say at least five people, including three infants, were stabbed at an overnight day care center in Queens, per the AP . NBC New York reports that authorities say the stabbings happened just before 4am Friday. One of the infants, a girl, is in serious condition, but...
A Toddler Drowned in a Day
Care Pool. Her Twin Just Died
Jul 26, 2018 7:58 AM CDT
A Toddler Drowned in a Day Care Pool. Her Twin Just Died
Tragedy in Tennessee at unlicensed child-care facility
- A Tennessee toddler drowned in a day care's swimming pool Friday, and now her twin brother has also succumbed to his injuries, per the
Knoxville News Sentinel
. The little boy, identified by
as Elijah Orejuela, died Sunday after two days on life support; his sister, Elyssa Orejuela, died...
Cops: Daycare Staff
'Special' Gummy Bears
Mar 6, 2018 3:36 AM CST
Cops: Daycare Staff Gave Toddlers 'Special' Gummy Bears
They allegedly used melatonin for calmer nap times
- Three daycare workers who allegedly gave toddlers melatonin-laced gummy bears to ensure smoother nap times are facing serious criminal charges. A police spokesman in Des Plaines, Ill., tells
that managers at the Kiddie Junction Daycare Center called authorities after discovering workers had been giving the gummy bears to 2-year-olds...
Day Care Workers Arrested
After Mom Demands Video
Dec 20, 2017 4:54 AM CST
Day Care Workers Arrested After Mom Demands Video
Toddlers were burned with hot glue gun
- Two workers at a Chicago day care were fired and arrested after a disturbing incident that left five toddlers injured. Police say surveillance video captured one of the workers burning the 2-year-olds with a hot glue gun while the other woman watched and laughed,
reports. Lizandra Cosme, 32, has...
Police Chief Says
Letter to Day Care
He's Ever Seen
Oct 7, 2017 5:16 PM CDT
Police Chief Says Letter to Day Care Most Offensive He's Ever Seen
Letter calls on day care to fire black worker because of her skin color
- Police are investigating an anonymous letter calling on a Pennsylvania day care center to fire a black worker because of her skin color, the AP reports. According to the
Allentown Morning Call
, the Bridge 2 Creative Learning Center in Whitehall Township received an envelope Tuesday containing letters addressed to the...
Cops: Toddler Finds Gun,
Shoots 2 at Day Care
Sep 28, 2017 11:27 AM CDT
Cops: Toddler Finds Gun, Shoots 2 at Day Care
Boy was shot in face, another in shoulder; both are in hospital
- In what a Michigan police chief refers to as "totally tragic" and "irresponsible," a loaded firearm was allegedly left in reach of children at an apparently unlicensed home day care in Dearborn, resulting in two children being shot Wednesday. Police say a toddler came upon the gun...
Daycare Probed Amid 'Smack
for Snack' Game Allegations
Sep 30, 2016 4:20 PM CDT
Daycare Probed Amid 'Smack for Snack' Game Allegations
One employee charged with assault
- Officials in Kentucky are monitoring a day care center after an investigation found that employees required children to be hit before they could get a snack, reports the AP . Citing an Office of Inspector General report, media outlets say two male workers at New Creation Childcare in Lexington made children...
Toddler Dies Pinned Under
Daycare's Beanbag Chair
Sep 13, 2016 8:20 AM CDT
Toddler Dies Pinned Under Daycare's Beanbag Chair
Employee accidentally sat on the chair, say police
- Leonardo Sanchez should be celebrating his second birthday on Saturday, but instead of a party, "I'm planning his funeral," his mom tells Utah's KSL . In what police are calling a "very tragic, sad accident," Leonardo was playing with other children at West Jordan Child...
Baby Dies on
First Day at
Apr 11, 2016 3:41 PM CDT
Baby Dies on First Day at Daycare
Mom, during first day back to work, had called to check on her 3 times
- On Adrienne Kromer's first day back at work following three and a half months of maternity leave, she called her daughter's new daycare center three times to check on the baby girl. McKenna Felmly had shown no signs of illness or distress when she was dropped off at...
Behind Seattle Evacuation, Hazmat Search: Deodorant
Mar 23, 2016 11:03 AM CDT
Behind Seattle Evacuation, Hazmat Search: Deodorant
Church, daycare cleared out because of Axe body spray
- A church and daycare center in Seattle's University District were cleared out by the city's fire department, nearby streets were roped off, and hazmat teams descended on the area Friday after "cough-inducing fumes" were noted wafting out of the church's bathroom and someone called 911, MyNorthwest....
Mom Whose Baby
Died at Daycare:
Our System Is Broken
Nov 16, 2015 12:50 PM CST
Mom Whose Baby Died at Daycare: Our System Is Broken
We need more parental leave, writes Amber Scorah
- Amber Scorah wanted a longer maternity leave. She didn't yet feel comfortable leaving her 3-month-old son, but her company had no mechanism in place to allow her to take more time off, even if it was unpaid. She and her partner discussed the possibility of her quitting her job—...
Boys So Sunburned
at Daycare They're
Airlifted to Hospital
Jul 29, 2015 8:27 AM CDT
Boys So Sunburned at Daycare They're Airlifted to Hospital
Daycare shut its doors yesterday while Oklahoma investigates
- A northeast Oklahoma daycare shut its doors yesterday after a mother reported her two young sons were severely sunburned during an outing to a water park. Happiness Is a Learning Center daycare in Vinita agreed to cease operations while the state Department of Human Services and police investigate, says DHS...
3-Month-Old Dies During
First Day at NYC Daycare
Jul 15, 2015 8:20 AM CDT
3-Month-Old Dies During First Day at NYC Daycare
Owner of unlicensed facility noticed Karl Towndrow's lips were blue
- On Amber Scorah's first day back at work after maternity leave, she dropped her 3-month-old son off at the SoHo daycare that she and Lee Towndrow had chosen for him. Hours later, son Karl was dead. New York City's medical examiner's office yesterday performed an autopsy on...
Measles Outbreak Hits
Feb 5, 2015 12:59 PM CST
Measles Outbreak Hits Chicago-Area Daycare
5 kids under the age of 1 diagnosed
- Five kids under the age of 1 have been diagnosed with measles at a daycare outside Chicago, reports the
Chicago Tribune ,
in an outbreak that comes on the heels of Cook County announcing last week that it had its first adult case of measles this year. It's not clear...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.