Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing
Over to Something Darker
Nov 26, 2023 4:05 PM CST
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Experts struggle to treat multi-drug use as opioid users turn to meth and other stimulants
- The opioid epidemic has become an uphill battle with the rise of fentanyl on the streets, but experts are seeing an even scarier trend. The
New York Times
reports that people addicted to drugs are more likely to use multiple substances now, combining a cocktail of uppers and downers that...
One Woman's Controversial
Mission to Help Drug Addicts
Nov 20, 2023 11:40 AM CST
One Woman's Controversial Mission to Help Drug Addicts
Louise Vincent focuses on 'harm reduction' approach instead of abstinence
- One way to help addicts off of drugs is to get them to quit cold turkey, an approach favored by many US politicians as they push for legislation and tougher prison sentences to combat the emergence of such drugs as fentanyl and xylazine (aka "tranq," or "zombie...
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate
Price' for Mom's Addiction
Sep 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Leticia Gonzales of Michigan to serve up to 5 years for DUI crash that killed her young sons
- A western Michigan woman was sentenced to up to five years in prison Monday for a crash in which her three young sons drowned after her SUV plunged into an ice-covered pond, per the AP . Leticia Gonzales, 31, had pleaded no contest in August to operating while intoxicated causing serious...
US to Study Controversial
Idea for Drug Users
May 9, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
US to Study Controversial Idea for Drug Users
$5M will go toward looking at 2 'safe injection sites' in New York and Rhode Island
- For the first time, the US government will pay for a large study measuring whether overdoses can be prevented by so-called safe injection sites, places where people can use heroin and other illegal drugs and be revived if they take too much. As the AP reports, the grant provides more...
on the 'Big
Nov 2, 2022 7:03 AM CDT
Matthew Perry Spills More on the 'Big Terrible Thing'
'Friends' actor's book is out, and he goes into more detail on the substance abuse that nearly killed him
- Excerpts had leaked in advance of Matthew Perry's book, and he'd openly mentioned in interviews that he'd be talking about his drug and alcohol addiction in it. Now, after the Tuesday release of
Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing
, more on the
Remind Me to
Oct 19, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Matthew Perry: Stomach Scars Remind Me to Stay Sober
Actor opens up about addiction to 'People' ahead of memoir release
- Matthew Perry is opening up about his struggles with alcohol and drug addiction like never before ahead of the release of his memoir on Nov. 1. He deeply considered the timing of
Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing
: "I wanted to share when I was safe from going...
May Not Have
Had a 'Choice'
on Drug Abuse
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 20, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Anne Heche May Not Have Had a 'Choice' on Drug Abuse
Writing for NBC, Elizabeth Grey slams lack of compassion for those suffering from addiction
- On Sunday, Anne Heche's death was confirmed after the actor was taken off life support , just days after the 53-year-old's fiery car crash in Los Angeles. "I wonder whether it’s enough to satisfy those who have been calling for her head," Elizabeth Grey writes in...
He Was Charged With Trying to
Kill His Dad. Then, a Reckoning
Feb 4, 2022 8:15 AM CST
He Was Charged With Trying to Kill His Dad. Then, a Reckoning
Liam Ghershony, in recovery, hopes to show his father 'how much I've changed'
- The low point for Liam Ghershony was being charged with the attempted murder of his own dad. Ghershony's mother called police in Bethesda, Md., in May 2021 to report her son had admitted to "dosing" her ex-husband five days prior. The
shares the story to "...
Wrestler Jimmy Rave
Dies After 3 Amputations
Dec 14, 2021 7:23 AM CST
Wrestler Jimmy Rave Dies After 3 Amputations
Agent Bill Behrens said health issues were related to his drug addiction
- Former professional wrestler Jimmy Rave has died at the young age of 39. Wrestling agent Bill Behrens announced the death in a Twitter statement , saying Rave had passed away after "struggling with drug addiction for many years." He added "his struggles resulted in the amputation of his...
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save
Her. That Was Just the Start
Dec 12, 2021 5:00 PM CST
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save Her. That Was Just the Start
A fentanyl-addicted daughter, and the mother who tried to help her
- Laurie Steves made the drive alone from Port Orchard, Wash., to San Francisco this May. Kind of. As Heather Knight writes in a lengthy story for the
San Francisco Chronicle
, she had the ashes of her son Zachary in the car. The 25-year-old had died of a fentanyl and ketamine...
Among College QBs,
He Was Truly Great.
So Was His Downfall
Nov 6, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Among College QBs, He Was Truly Great. So Was His Downfall
'Sports Illustrated' has the story of Colt Brennan
- Colt Brennan's story is a wrenching one, and Brandon Sneed tells it in detail for
. Sneed calls Brennan "one of college football’s all-time great quarterbacks"—indeed, in 2007 the Hawaii player narrowly missed receiving the Heisman award . He had 31 NCAA passing records to...
Be First State
to Pay Addicts
to Stay Sober
Aug 26, 2021 1:58 PM CDT
This Could Be First State to Pay Addicts to Stay Sober
'Contingency management' bill sits before California state assembly
- Frustrated by out-of-control increases in drug overdose deaths, California's leaders are trying something radical: They want the state to be the first to pay people to stay sober. The federal government has been doing it for years with military veterans, and research shows it is one of the most...
Meth Users May End Up
Harming an Unlikely Victim
Jul 7, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
Meth Users May End Up Harming an Unlikely Victim
Fish, finds a new study
- If you're wondering whether brown trout can become meth junkies, science has an answer for you. Czech researchers sought to determine whether the drugs used by humans—which end up in waterways because wastewater treatment plants aren't built to remove methamphetamine—could turn fish into addicts. The short...
Son of Supermodel,
Billionaire Dead at 24
Jan 19, 2021 8:57 AM CST
Son of Supermodel, Billionaire Dead at 24
Harry Brant suffered accidental drug overdose: Peter Brant and Stephanie Seymour
- He was the son of a billionaire and one of the world's first supermodels. But if Harry Brant led a charmed life, it came to a crashing halt over the weekend. The 24-year-old New York socialite was found dead of an accidental drug overdose on Sunday, according to his...
Guru is Put
Feb 9, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Self-Help Guru is Put in Medically Induced Coma
Jordan Peterson went to Moscow to treat his drug addiction
- A polarizing self-help guru is trying to recover from a radical health treatment he underwent in Moscow, the CBC reports. Jordan Peterson, a Canadian psychologist, spent eight days in a medically induced coma to battle a lung infection. The intervention followed his admitted dependence on clonazepam—a benzodiazepine tranquilizer often...
As Meth Makes a Comeback,
Opioid Funds Redirected
Jan 21, 2020 2:50 AM CST
As Meth Makes a Comeback, Opioid Funds Redirected
It's already the most lethal drug west of the Mississippi
- Alarmed by a deadly new twist in the nation's drug addiction crisis, the government will allow states to use federal money earmarked for the opioid epidemic to help growing numbers of people struggling with meth and cocaine. The little-noticed change is buried in a massive spending bill passed by...
Tiny Nation Has
Nov 21, 2019 12:10 PM CST
Tiny Nation Has World's Worst Heroin Problem
Nearly 10% of Seychelles working population is addicted
- Coral reefs, beautiful beaches ... and the world's worst heroin problem. In the Seychelles, nearly 10% of the working population is addicted to the drug, the highest per capita rate of heroin abuse around the globe, the BBC reports. Of the 94,000 people living in the Indian Ocean archipelago—...
Jamie Lee Curtis:
I 'Freebased' With
Dad Tony Curtis
Nov 6, 2019 12:31 PM CST
Jamie Lee Curtis: I 'Freebased' With Dad Tony Curtis
Actress, 20 years sober, opens up for Variety's 'recovery issue'
- Jamie Lee Curtis has been open about her struggle with addiction and her recovery journey; she's been sober 20 years. She gets even more open in a new interview with
for its "recovery issue," revealing that dad Tony Curtis, whose addiction struggles were also well-known, "...
He Was a Boeing Engineer.
Then Came the Oxy Prescription
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 30, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
He Was a Boeing Engineer. Then Came the Oxy Prescription
Anthony Hathaway ended up robbing banks to support his drug addiction
- For a while, Anthony Hathaway looked like a success story: As a 20-year-old with only a high school diploma, he went to work as a technical designer for Boeing in Everett, Washington. By 30, he was an engineer in the galley systems group pulling in more than $100,000 a...
10 States With the
Most Drug Abuse
May 13, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
10 States With the Most Drug Abuse
The epidemic continues
- A recent sliver of hope in the US opioid crisis emerged in the form of a substantial drop in prescription opioid use in 2018. But that doesn't mean the country's drug epidemic is anywhere near over. Drug abuse continues to run rampant, and WalletHub looked at the problem...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.