Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hospital Reminds Desperate
Kenyans It Won't Buy Kidneys
Jun 21, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Hospital Reminds Desperate Kenyans It Won't Buy Kidneys
Nation is deep into a cost of living crisis worsened by Russian blockade in Ukraine
- With the price of food and other necessities soaring, a hospital has found it necessary to remind desperate Kenyans that they shouldn't try to raise money by selling an organ. "How much for my kidney?" is now the question most often posted to Kenyatta National Hospital, a Facebook...
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to
Much More Innocuous Find
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to Much More Innocuous Find
It was a shopping bag with a lion's face on it in the bushes outside a Kenyan home
- A farmhand in Kenya may be feeling a little foolish today, but also pretty lucky: His anxiety-ridden "stray lion" sighting turned out not to be a lion after all. The BBC reports on the incident that took place in Kinyana, a village not far from Mount Kenya National Park,...
A 'Nation of Lakes'
Battles an Alarming Trend
Mar 27, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
A 'Nation of Lakes' Battles an Alarming Trend
'The Guardian' looks at devastating increase in lake levels
- A decade ago, geologist Simon Onywere was among the first scientists to notice what residents of waterlogged villages already knew: lakes throughout Kenya are expanding. Since then, a widespread catastrophe has unfolded. Per
the Guardian ,
which traced Onywere’s efforts to help pinpoint the cause and spur action, the Kenyan...
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
Oct 15, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
'Prime Suspect' in Olympian's Murder Arrested
Emmanuel Rotich, husband of runner Agnes Tirop, was detained in Mombasa, Kenya
The husband of a Kenyan long-distance runner who competed in the Tokyo Olympics and was found murdered this week has been arrested. The BBC reports that Emmanuel Rotich was detained in Mombasa on Thursday, a day after 25-year-old Agnes Tirop was found dead in her bed, as he was...
15-Month Mission Saves
Giraffes on Sinking Island
Apr 16, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
15-Month Mission Saves Giraffes on Sinking Island
9 endangered Rothschild giraffes transported on custom-made barge to mainland Kenya
- For more than a year, multiple groups have worked together to rescue nine endangered giraffes from a sinking island in a Kenyan lake. On Monday, the final two animals made the milelong journey from their flooded habitat to their new home on the mainland, thanks to the rescuers' patience and...
His 'Mama Sarah'
Mar 29, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Obama Mourns His 'Mama Sarah'
Former president's stepgrandmother dies in Kenya
- Sarah Obama, the matriarch of former President Obama's Kenyan family, has died, per the AP . She was at least 99 years old. Mama Sarah, as the stepgrandmother of the former president was fondly called, promoted education for girls and orphans in her rural Kogelo village. She died at the...
American Gets 15 Years
for Abuse at Kenyan Orphanage
Feb 5, 2021 3:43 PM CST
American Gets 15 Years for Abuse at Kenyan Orphanage
Gregory Dow, 61, started the home with his family
- An American who ran an orphanage in Kenya has received a prison sentence of more than 15 years after being convicted of sexually abusing four girls there. Gregory Dow "traveled halfway around the world to prey on incredibly vulnerable victims," a federal prosecutor said. "His crimes are...
Nov 18, 2020 8:00 AM CST
Orphaned White Giraffe Gets Some Added Protection
GPS tracker to provide hourly location updates in Kenya
- An orphaned white giraffe has been fitted with a tracking device in Kenya in an effort to protect him from poachers, like those who killed his mother and sibling. News outlets including the AP refer to the lonely male with leucism, a genetic condition resulting in partial loss of pigmentation,...
In Kenya, a Grisly Find
Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
in case you missed it
Mar 15, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
In Kenya, a Grisly Find Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
Poachers believed to have taken out 2 of its rare white giraffes
- When a bright white giraffe and her equally colorless calf were first spotted in Kenya in 2017, conservationists worried their lack of camouflage would make them easy targets for predators, if not poachers. Their fears were well-founded. In a devastating blow, it's believed poachers killed the female and a...
UN Pleads for Help Amid
'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Jan 24, 2020 12:15 PM CST
UN Pleads for Help Amid 'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya all overtaken; UN says locust numbers could grow 500 times by June
- Last month, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization reported on the plague of locusts that had overtaken Somalia and Ethiopia, and now a new East African nation is being beleaguered by the bugs. The FAO says Kenya is also dealing with an "unprecedented" and "devastating" number of...
3 More Americans
Killed in Base Attack
Jan 5, 2020 4:01 PM CST
3 More Americans Killed in Base Attack
Al-Shabab strikes again, this time at Camp Simba in Manda Bay, Kenya
- With Iran on everyone's mind, Americans killed in Africa don't get much attention—but three were indeed killed Sunday at a military base in Kenya, NBC News reports. According to US Africa Command, al-Shabab forces attacked a base used by US troops before dawn, killing a US service...
Woman Beats Legendary
Runner on Her First Try
Nov 3, 2019 11:58 AM CST
Woman Beats Legendary Runner on Her First Try
While Geoffrey Kamworor takes his second NYC marathon title since 2017
- Joyciline Jepkosgei arrived in New York with a modest goal for her first marathon ever. "My focus was to finish the race," she said, a gold medal hanging around her neck. Not bad for a novice. Jepkosgei upset four-time champion Mary Keitany to win the New York City...
He Just Did What No Runner
Has Ever Done Before
Oct 12, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
He Just Did What No Runner Has Ever Done Before
'I am the happiest man,' says Eliud Kipchoge, the first person to run marathon in under 2 hours
- With 20 seconds to spare, Eliud Kipchoge has just done what elite marathon runners have tried to do for years. "I am the happiest man," the Kenyan athlete said Saturday in Austria after completing Vienna's Prater Park marathon in less than two hours—1 hour, 59 minutes,...
6 Dead After Flash Flood
Sweeps Away Tour Group
Sep 2, 2019 3:26 AM CDT
6 Dead After Flash Flood Sweeps Away Tour Group
1 missing in Hell's Gate National Park in Kenya
- A flash flood swept away a tour group in Hell's Gate National Park in Kenya on Sunday, killing at least six people, authorities say. The Kenyan Wildlife Service says one person from the group is still missing, reports Reuters . Authorities say the flood swept away six Kenyan tourists—including...
One Team Had No Cleats.
Their Opponent Fixed That
Aug 9, 2019 10:53 AM CDT
One Team Had No Cleats. Their Opponent Fixed That
Israeli women's team surprises Kenyan team with a gift
- Lacrosse isn't a well-known sport in Kenya, notes Nairobi News , which might help explain how a Kenyan women's team showed up at a world tournament in Canada without the proper footwear—they had no cleats. Israel defeated the team soundly in their first match in the Women's...
Lawmaker Gets the Boot After
Bringing Baby to Parliament
Aug 8, 2019 2:03 PM CDT
Lawmaker Gets the Boot After Bringing Baby to Parliament
Zuleika Hassan says there should be childcare in the legislative building
- A domestic emergency forced Kenyan lawmaker Zuleika Hassan to bring her 5-month-old to work with her Wednesday, and a lack of childcare in the country's Parliament building forced her to bring the baby all the way into the National Assembly chamber. An uproar resulted, and ended with Hassan getting...
US Couple in Kenya: They Took
Our 'Son' Without Explanation
May 13, 2019 9:24 AM CDT
US Couple in Kenya: They Took Our 'Son' Without Explanation
Matt and Daisy Mazzoncini were 3-year-old Kiano's legal guardians, until authorities came for him
- For two years, Matt and Daisy Mazzoncini, a Seattle couple living in Nairobi, Kenya, have called little Kiano, now 3, their son and cared for him as his legal guardians. That changed on April 5, when authorities swept into their home and took Kiano from them, which the Mazzoncinis now...
He Gives Most of His Income to
His Students. He Just Won $1M
Mar 25, 2019 7:26 AM CDT
He Gives Most of His Income to His Students. He Just Won $1M
Kenya's Peter Tabichi just won 'world's best teacher' from Varkey Foundation
- Peter Tabichi is a science and math teacher in one of the poorest schools in Kenya, and he gives away the majority of his paycheck to help his community and students at the Keriko secondary school in Pwami. The 36-year-old Franciscan friar just got those funds back, and then some:...
'Ultimate Experiences' Crash
Kills 5 on Kenyan Island
Mar 5, 2019 3:53 PM CST
'Ultimate Experiences' Crash Kills 5 on Kenyan Island
American entrepreneur just started marketing the trips
- A helicopter crash in Kenya killed four Americans , including an entrepreneur who recently had gone into business there offering travelers "ultimate experiences." The crash, which also killed the pilot, occurred on Central Island in Lake Turkana, NBC reports. Asher Burke, seven tourists and friends, and two pilots had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.