Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Sep 26, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Hack Uncovers Names Behind Far-Right Sites
Anonymous releases information on those behind extremist Epik domains
- People aligned with extremist websites have started to feel the repercussions since a major hack revealed their identities. On the other side, for those who work against extremism and hate groups, the data dump is a boon. The information was published by Anonymous, a hacking group, after an attack on...
Hacked Dozens of
Jul 31, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DOJ: Russians Hacked Dozens of Federal Prosecutors
More than 2 dozen US attorney offices had emails breached, per Justice Department
- The Russian hackers behind the massive SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign broke into the email accounts some of the most prominent federal prosecutors' offices around the country last year, the Justice Department said. The department noted that 80% of Microsoft email accounts used by employees in the four US attorney offices in...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
Apr 3, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Facebook Hacker Posts 500M Users' Data
Phone numbers are among the information now available to cybercrooks
- The personal information of more than a half-billion Facebook users in 106 countries has been posted in a hacking forum, Business Insider reports. The data include full names, Facebook IDs, phone numbers, locations, birthdates, and bios. Some email addresses are posted, as well. The breach puts the users, 32 million...
South Korea Has
Feb 16, 2021 10:30 AM CST
South Korea Has New Accusation Against North Korea
It says its neighbor tried to hack Pfizer; no word on whether the attack was successful
- The North Korean regime tried to hack US drugmaker Pfizer in an effort to steal information on the company's coronavirus vaccine, according to South Korea's National Intelligence Service. Lawmakers were briefed on the findings during a closed-door session of the National Assembly's intelligence committee on Tuesday, per...
Maker on Hackers'
Extortion: We Will
Feb 9, 2021 12:32 PM CST
Maker on Hackers' Extortion: We Will Not Negotiate
Ransomware creators steal, threaten to release source code from CD Projekt Red
- "You have 48 hours to contact us." That was the ransom note left Monday after a cyberattack against
maker CD Projekt Red, which has posted the note online and said it's not in the mood for negotiations. The hackers' message indicated that they stole the...
Funds to Tune of $11.4B
Jan 26, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Calif.: Criminals Raided Unemployment Funds to Tune of $11.4B
State's labor secretary says hackers, other criminals may have stolen an additional $20B
- From March of last year to the middle of January, California paid out some $114 billion in unemployment benefits. Now, the state's labor secretary, Julie Su, has some alarming news on about $11.4 billion, or 10%, of that figure—those payments were fraudulent, stolen by hackers, identity thieves,...
Security, He Spied
on 'Most Intimate
Jan 22, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Tasked With Security, He Spied on 'Most Intimate Moments' Instead
Ex-ADT tech admits he hacked into home security systems to watch people get undressed, have sex
, John Belushi's Bluto used a ladder to spy on women undressing. The modern-day (and perhaps creepier) version of a peeping Tom has a more high-tech method: hacking into home surveillance feeds. That's what Telesforo Aviles, a former employee for home security company ADT, has admitted...
Florida Man Kept the
Governor From Voting
Oct 28, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Florida Man Kept the Governor From Voting
A hacker changed Gov. Ron DeSantis' voter registration info
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis couldn't vote Monday because someone had gone online and changed his address in a state database, WESH reports. Authorities tracked the hacker via an IP address and arrested Anthony Guevara, a 20-year-old Naples man, on two counts including felony voter fraud. Authorities say Guevara had...
in Last Week's Attack
Jul 23, 2020 7:15 AM CDT
Twitter: DMs Were Accessed in Last Week's Attack
But not those of Joe Biden, former President Obama
- Hackers did indeed get access to private direct messages on Twitter. "We believe that for up to 36 of the 130 targeted accounts, the attackers accessed the DM inbox," Twitter said Wednesday of the July 15 attempt, per CNN , identifying one of the accounts as belonging to an...
to Massive Twitter Hack
Jul 17, 2020 12:03 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Linked to Massive Twitter Hack
KrebsOnSecurity does a deep dive into what we know
- The hackers who hit Twitter got big names such as Joe Biden and Jeff Bezos, so why not the most famous tweeter of all, President Trump? It seems that Twitter gave Trump extra protections after unspecified previous incidents, reports the
New York Times
. Both an administration official and a Twitter...
of the Rich and
Hacked at the
Jul 15, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Twitter Accounts of the Rich and Famous All Hacked at the Same Time
The victims include Barack Obama, Elon Musk, and Kanye West
- Big-name Twitter accounts belonging to Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Elon Musk, Kanye West, and many others were hacked Wednesday in an elaborate cyberscam that relieved victims of over $110,000. Looks like crypto-scammers took over the accounts for more than two hours, posting tweets that urged people to send money...
Working From Home During
Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
Apr 1, 2020 12:27 PM CDT
Working From Home During Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
FBI warns that hackers are 'hijacking' videoconferencing app
- As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, people stuck at home have taken to using videoconferencing apps to hold work meetings and chat with family and friends. One such app that's become ubiquitous: Zoom, founded by Cisco engineer Eric Yuan. But be careful before you log in for that virtual...
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
Jan 5, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
The hackers claim to be Iranian, but the US won't confirm
- Looks like Iran has struck back—online, at least. As the world awaits the country's military response to the killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani, images of an Iranian flag and President Trump getting punched in the face appeared Sunday on a US federal website. "Hacked By Iran Cyber...
His Epic Hack Paralyzed
a Nation. He's About to Go Free
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2020 10:00 AM CST
His Epic Hack Paralyzed a Nation. He's About to Go Free
Daniel Kaye took down Liberia's internet as part of a corporate plot
- In November of 2016, a friend sent Daniel Kaye a message asking him how things were going. "I have broken the Internet and am dead afraid but otherwise everything’s hunky dory," wrote Kaye in response. As a story at Bloomberg explains, the British 29-year-old wasn't exaggerating...
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked
6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Oct 1, 2019 5:03 AM CDT
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked 6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Reyes Daniel Ruiz pleaded guilty to targeting younger women, including friends, co-workers
- Young women who were colleagues or friends of Reyes Daniel Ruiz may not like the news they're hearing, though at least they can take comfort that he's been busted. CNN reports that the 34-year-old software engineer pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to using the access he used...
Until Recently, Websites
Were Hacking iPhones
Aug 31, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Until Recently, Websites Were Hacking iPhones
Hackers were able to access iPhones' keychain and messaging apps
- Visit a website, and boom—your iPhone is hacked. That nightmare vulnerability was plaguing iPhones until a Google team warned Apple about it in February, the Verge reports. Google's Project Zero team found that hacked websites were taking advantage of security flaws to crawl into any iPhone that came...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.