Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Researchers Find Little Truth
Behind Plane Ticket Hacks
Oct 15, 2023 8:05 AM CDT
Researchers Find Little Truth Behind Plane Ticket Hacks
Researchers found that airline pricing is actually pretty rigid, no matter the urban myths
- Many of the common hacks people say drive down plane ticket prices—buy on a Tuesday! search in incognito mode!—apparently have no legs. A new study finds that US airlines have a pretty rigid pricing structure that doesn't change based on day of the week or a...
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
Prince Harry Reveals
Murdoch Payout to William
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 29, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Prince Harry Reveals Murdoch Payout to William
Prince William received 'very large sum' from News Group over hacking: court documents
- Prince William received a "very large sum of money" from Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers to settle claims of phone hacking in 2020, according to court documents submitted by his brother. Prince Harry claims the British royal family entered into a secret agreement with "senior executives" at...
Austrian Citizens Aren't
Going to Like This News
Jan 26, 2023 7:26 AM CST
Austrian Citizens Aren't Going to Like This News
Police say hacker took personal data for nearly every person living there, put it up for sale
- If you live in Austria, chances are good that some of your personal information is now accessible to criminals. That's because police have revealed that a suspect they nabbed in November got their hands on data for pretty much every Austrian citizen and put it up for sale on...
Another 'Malicious Intruder'
Jan 20, 2023 4:30 PM CST
Another 'Malicious Intruder' Strikes T-Mobile
Company says 37M customers had data stolen in November breach, including addresses and DOB
- The US wireless carrier T-Mobile said Thursday that an unidentified malicious intruder breached its network in late November and stole data on 37 million customers, including addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth. T-Mobile said in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that the breach was discovered...
New York Post:
Sexist, Racist Headlines
Posted by Employee
Oct 28, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
New York Post:
Sexist, Racist Headlines Posted by Employee
The employee has since been fired
New York Post
says a rogue employee was responsible for racist, violent, and sexually explicit headlines targeting politicians from President Biden to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday. Readers of the
website and Twitter account awoke to fake headlines calling for assassinations of those politicians as well as...
Fast Company Hacked,
Racist Alerts Go Out
Sep 28, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Fast Company Hacked, Racist Alerts Go Out
Media company's website remains down hours later
- Business publication Fast Company shut down its website Tuesday evening following a hack, which resulted in subscribers on Apple News receiving two racist push notifications. The company's main news website was also defaced, reports the
. A Fast Company rep later said its "content management system account...
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Sep 26, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Hack Uncovers Names Behind Far-Right Sites
Anonymous releases information on those behind extremist Epik domains
- People aligned with extremist websites have started to feel the repercussions since a major hack revealed their identities. On the other side, for those who work against extremism and hate groups, the data dump is a boon. The information was published by Anonymous, a hacking group, after an attack on...
Hacked Dozens of
Jul 31, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DOJ: Russians Hacked Dozens of Federal Prosecutors
More than 2 dozen US attorney offices had emails breached, per Justice Department
- The Russian hackers behind the massive SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign broke into the email accounts some of the most prominent federal prosecutors' offices around the country last year, the Justice Department said. The department noted that 80% of Microsoft email accounts used by employees in the four US attorney offices in...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
Apr 3, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Facebook Hacker Posts 500M Users' Data
Phone numbers are among the information now available to cybercrooks
- The personal information of more than a half-billion Facebook users in 106 countries has been posted in a hacking forum, Business Insider reports. The data include full names, Facebook IDs, phone numbers, locations, birthdates, and bios. Some email addresses are posted, as well. The breach puts the users, 32 million...
South Korea Has
Feb 16, 2021 10:30 AM CST
South Korea Has New Accusation Against North Korea
It says its neighbor tried to hack Pfizer; no word on whether the attack was successful
- The North Korean regime tried to hack US drugmaker Pfizer in an effort to steal information on the company's coronavirus vaccine, according to South Korea's National Intelligence Service. Lawmakers were briefed on the findings during a closed-door session of the National Assembly's intelligence committee on Tuesday, per...
Maker on Hackers'
Extortion: We Will
Feb 9, 2021 12:32 PM CST
Maker on Hackers' Extortion: We Will Not Negotiate
Ransomware creators steal, threaten to release source code from CD Projekt Red
- "You have 48 hours to contact us." That was the ransom note left Monday after a cyberattack against
maker CD Projekt Red, which has posted the note online and said it's not in the mood for negotiations. The hackers' message indicated that they stole the...
Funds to Tune of $11.4B
Jan 26, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Calif.: Criminals Raided Unemployment Funds to Tune of $11.4B
State's labor secretary says hackers, other criminals may have stolen an additional $20B
- From March of last year to the middle of January, California paid out some $114 billion in unemployment benefits. Now, the state's labor secretary, Julie Su, has some alarming news on about $11.4 billion, or 10%, of that figure—those payments were fraudulent, stolen by hackers, identity thieves,...
Security, He Spied
on 'Most Intimate
Jan 22, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Tasked With Security, He Spied on 'Most Intimate Moments' Instead
Ex-ADT tech admits he hacked into home security systems to watch people get undressed, have sex
, John Belushi's Bluto used a ladder to spy on women undressing. The modern-day (and perhaps creepier) version of a peeping Tom has a more high-tech method: hacking into home surveillance feeds. That's what Telesforo Aviles, a former employee for home security company ADT, has admitted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.