Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Taliban Bans Women
From Parks, Gyms
Nov 10, 2022 11:56 AM CST
Taliban Bans Women From Parks, Gyms
Group claims it has 'tried its best' to avoid imposing restrictions
- More than a year after returning to power in Afghanistan and promising to respect women's rights, the Taliban are busy crushing the few rights women in the country still have. Women are now banned from parks and gyms in the country, according to a Ministry of Vice and Virtue...
UN Forecasts a Population
Milestone in 2050
Sep 2, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
UN Forecasts a Population Milestone in 2050
It projects an approximately equal number of men and women by that year
- Viewed solely in terms of population numbers, it's long been a man's world. Last year, for example, men outnumbered women worldwide by 44 million, notes the Pew Research Center . However, a new UN projection sees the gap narrowing relatively quickly, and it forecasts a roughly equal number of...
Men, Don't Throw in the Towel
on Longevity Quite Yet
Aug 3, 2022 2:57 PM CDT
Men, Don't Throw in the Towel on Longevity Quite Yet
Despite lower life expectancy, guys still have 'substantial chance of outliving females,' per study
- It's long been suggested that women outlive the men in their lives, but new research suggests that may be an oversimplified conclusion. Danish scientists who looked at the bigger picture found that the guys, especially those with a ring on their finger or who hold a college degree, might...
Another Lilith Fair
Aug 1, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
We Need Another Lilith Fair
Jezebel writer Audra Heinrichs makes the case for why 'America needs a femme show again'
- This year is the 25th anniversary of the debut of Lilith Fair, the all-women concert series spurred by Canadian singer-songwriter Sarah McLachlan that featured the likes of Sheryl Crow, Indigo Girls, Queen Latifah, and Tracy Chapman. It's now time to bring something like it back, writes Audra Heinrichs for...
May 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Taliban Just Resurrected a Hard-Line Mandate
Women once more have to wear face-covering burkas in public
- Afghanistan's Taliban leadership ordered all Afghan women to wear the all-covering burka in public, the ministry of vice and virtue said Saturday. The move evoked similar restrictions on women during the Taliban's previous hard-line rule between 1996 and 2001. "We want our sisters to live with dignity...
'Work Hard' Advice
Mar 28, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
Kim Kardashian Apologizes for 'Work Hard' Advice
'Get your f---ing ass up and work' was taken out of context, she says
: Kim Kardashian says the controversial remarks she made earlier this month about working women were taken out of context. In a
Good Morning America
interview, Kardashian says the advice to "get your f---ing ass up and work" was not meant to be a a "blanket statement" and...
Booted From Flights
Mar 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Officials: Afghan Women Without Male Companions Booted From Flights
Unaccompanied women reportedly turned away from airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers refused to allow dozens of women to board several flights, including some overseas, because they were traveling without a male "guardian," two Afghan airline officials said Saturday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said dozens of women who arrived at Kabul's...
From the Taliban,
an 'Unexpected Decision'
Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
From the Taliban, an 'Unexpected Decision'
Afghanistan's de facto rulers break promise, won't open schools to girls above 6th grade
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers decided against opening schools to girls above the sixth grade, reneging on a previous promise and opting to appease their hardline base at the expense of further alienating the international community. The unexpected decision, confirmed by a Taliban official Wednesday, came at the start of the...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
Pope Ushers in New Year
With a Shoutout to Moms
Jan 1, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Pope Ushers in New Year With a Shoutout to Moms
Francis praises women for their role as peacemakers around the world
- Pope Francis ushered in the new year on Saturday by praising the skills women bring to promoting peace in the world, and he equated violence against women to an offense against God. The Roman Catholic Church marks Jan. 1 as a day dedicated to world peace, and a late-morning Mass...
After Newborn Is Found,
Women Pulled From Planes
Nov 16, 2021 11:38 AM CST
After Newborn Is Found, Women Pulled From Planes
Female travelers suing Qatar after being subjected to invasive exams
- A group of Australian women is planning to sue the government of Qatar after they say they were removed from their plane, detained, and forced to undergo invasive medical checks to determine if they had recently given birth after an abandoned baby was found in a terminal bathroom at the...
Why Heartbroken Men
Are Turning to Reddit
Nov 10, 2021 2:28 PM CST
Why Heartbroken Men Are Turning to Reddit
With stigma, they may feel unable to express relationship issues in more traditional contexts
- Research carried out in clinical and counselling settings has suggested men tend to avoid relationship problems and keep partners at a distance, reports Insider . But that may be the result of researchers looking for answers in the wrong places, according to a new study, which finds men are more likely...
Taliban Makes a Vow
to All Afghan Women
Aug 17, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
Taliban Makes a Vow to All Afghan Women
Officials say right to education will be protected, urge women to join government
- An Afghan journalist showed her outrage Monday during a Pentagon press briefing, speaking of the fears of the Afghan people, especially women, now that the Taliban has marched on the capital. "I'm very upset today because Afghan woman didn't expect that overnight all the Taliban came,"...
Tuesday's MLB Game
Will Be a Historic One
Jul 15, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's MLB Game Will Be a Historic One
Game on Tuesday between Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays will be called entirely by women
- Melanie Newman is already a pioneer in MLB broadcasting, serving as the play-by-play radio announcer for the Baltimore Orioles since last year, and making history last month as the second woman ever to do the same for a nationally broadcast MLB game (Suzyn Waldman famously did so in the mid-'...
Museum Dumps a Most
Jun 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Museum Dumps a Most Controversial Exhibit
Shanghai's OCAT gallery apologizes for Song Ta's display that ranked women from 'prettiest to ugliest'
- One of China's most respected modern museums is taking heat for a multimedia exhibit that used university students as its unwitting subjects. The
South China Morning Post
and BBC note the artwork by male artist Song Ta at Shanghai's OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, or OCAT, was displayed under...
Iron Man 2
for 'Hypersexualization' of Role
Jun 17, 2021 12:08 PM CDT
Iron Man 2
for 'Hypersexualization' of Role
She's happy 'Black Widow' was made in a different climate a decade later
- Scarlett Johansson is glad
was made a decade after
Iron Man 2
, the 2010 film that brought the first appearance of the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series. The actor was not impressed with
Iron Man 2
's approach to Black Widow, aka Natasha Romanov, as she...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
Pope: Women Still
Can't Be Priests,
but They Can
Read at Church
Jan 11, 2021 7:33 AM CST
Pope: Women Still Can't Be Priests, but They Can Read at Church
Francis changes law to allow women to take on more responsibilities during Mass
- Pope Francis has changed church law to explicitly allow women to do more things during Mass, while reaffirming they can't be priests. Francis amended the law to formalize what's common practice in many parts of the world: that women can read the Gospel and serve on the altar...
Pornhub's New Problem:
an $80M-Plus Lawsuit
Dec 17, 2020 8:26 AM CST
Pornhub's New Problem: an $80M-Plus Lawsuit
40 women say online porn site profited from GirlsDoPorn sex trafficking videos
- Pornhub's problems continue , this time with an $80 million-plus complaint. The BBC reports that the online porn site and its parent firm, MindGeek, have been sued by 40 women who allege that the companies profited from pornographic videos they appeared in for content partner GirlsDoPorn, which has been accused...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.