Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This State's Road Signs
Were Too Much for the Feds
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2022 3:55 PM CST
This State's Road Signs Were Too Much for the Feds
New Jersey DOT forced by FHWA to take down humorous messages promoting highway safety
- Quirky highway signs described as "quintessential New Jersey" that were designed to raise awareness on road safety have been getting the thumbs-up from motorists in the Garden State. But the feds apparently didn't approve and reportedly directed them to be switched off. "Hold on to your butts—...
Truck Drivers Warned
About 'Stowaway Game'
Oct 5, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Truck Drivers Warned About 'Stowaway Game'
People have been seen riding the outside of moving trucks
- A man critically injured on a highway in Nashville Monday night may have been playing an incredibly dangerous game. Nashville police say the man was seen on the side of Interstate 40 trying to stop vehicles. Police say he jumped on a stopped tractor-trailer "for reasons unknown" and fell...
Woman Shooting Snapchat
Video Falls Out Into Traffic
Sep 20, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Shooting Snapchat Video Falls Out Into Traffic
You know how police feel when they tweet, "#nowords"
- A woman gave freeway drivers a little surprise Saturday when she spilled out of a moving car while shooting a Snapchat video—right into the next lane, the
reports. British police said her misadventure began at about 1:30am as she hung out of the front passenger door on...
Is Being Buried
Apr 8, 2020 2:59 PM CDT
'Graffiti Highway' Is Being Buried
Colorful stretch of abandoned road was attracting too many trespassers
- Pennsylvania's "Graffiti Highway" is history, apparently thanks to a stream of trespassers and worries about liability. The colorful stretch of Route 61 through Centralia, closed to traffic since 1993, is being covered with dirt by a local coal company, CNN reports. Over the decades it had been covered...
Ooze on Michigan
Dec 23, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Mysterious Green Ooze on Michigan Highway Identified
From an unlicensed hazardous-waste site whose owner is behind bars
- If anyone who's ever seen
was driving along Michigan's I-696 on Friday, alarm would've been a natural reaction to the sight on the side of the highway about a half-mile from the Macomb-Oakland county line. The
Detroit Free Press
reports a sludgy greenish-yellow substance was...
Is Killed Trying
to Do It Again
Sep 8, 2019 2:16 PM CDT
Mountain Lion Accomplishes Amazing Feat, Is Killed Trying to Do It Again
P-61 crossed California's 405 freeway, but died trying to cross back
- On July 19, a Southern California mountain lion accomplished a daunting feat: He safely crossed the 405 freeway, the first collared mountain lion to do so in the National Park Service's 17-year study of the mountain lions who live in and around the Santa Monica Mountains. Other mountain lions...
Truck Spills $175K
on Georgia Highway
Jul 11, 2019 1:56 AM CDT
Truck Spills $175K on Georgia Highway
Drivers were 'frantically taking the money'
- After a truck lost part of its load on Interstate 285 in Georgia Tuesday, numerous citizens stopped their vehicles to help clean up the spillage. But it wasn't exactly a display of public-spiritedness—they were grabbing cash that had fallen out of an armored truck. In a Facebook post...
Is Staying Put
Jun 7, 2019 4:26 AM CDT
Colorado Says 'Memorial Boulder' Is Staying Put
State thinks it could become tourist attraction
- A boulder the size of a house that tumbled across and gouged a southwestern Colorado state highway last month will stay put. State officials plan to rebuild the highway next to it, saving taxpayers money and possibly creating a tourist attraction, the AP reports. Democratic Gov. Jared Polis says Colorado...
Colorado Hit By Abnormally
May 27, 2019 3:58 AM CDT
Colorado Hit By Abnormally Massive Avalanche
One of the rocks was the size of a building
- A section of road between Cortez and Telluride in southwest Colorado was obliterated by two massive boulders, authorities say. The Colorado Department of Transportation says a slide "consisting of dirt, rock, and two huge boulders" hit Colorado 145 on Friday, causing no injuries but leaving a trench 8 feet...
Rock Thrown From Overpass
Kills Mom in Front of 3 Kids
Mar 12, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Rock Thrown From Overpass Kills Mom in Front of 3 Kids
Texas case is being treated as murder
- In a horrific incident in Texas on Saturday, a mother was fatally injured in front of her boyfriend and their three children by a rock thrown onto their vehicle on Interstate 35 near Temple. The large rock "struck and entered the vehicle’s windshield, making contact with the front...
You Can Now
Drive on 'Obama'
Dec 21, 2018 7:45 AM CST
You Can Now Drive on 'Obama'
LA-area freeway named for former Pasadena resident
- It's official: Signs have gone up naming a section of a Los Angeles-area freeway as the President Barack H. Obama Highway. The signs posted Thursday on State Route 134 apply to a stretch running from State Route 2 in Glendale, Calif., through the Eagle Rock section of Los Angeles...
Driving Too Slow Now Getting
People Tickets in Idaho
Aug 1, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Driving Too Slow Now Getting People Tickets in Idaho
No slowpokes in the left lane
- Idaho police are starting to enforce a new law targeting slow drivers hanging out in the passing lanes of highways. Two drivers have been cited as of July 27 for driving too slowly in the left lane since the law took effect July 1, the
reported Monday. Idaho...
Bus Driver Passes Out on
N. America's Busiest Highway
Dec 29, 2017 3:00 AM CST
Bus Driver Passes Out on N. America's Busiest Highway
A quick-thinking passenger saves the day
- The stretch of Ontario's Highway 401 that goes through Toronto is believed to be the busiest highway in North America—making it all the more terrifying when the driver of a bus with dozens of passengers on board passed out at the wheel. "There was a bit of...
'Dynamic' Toll for 10-Mile
Stretch of Highway Hits $40
Dec 8, 2017 3:35 AM CST
'Dynamic' Toll for 10-Mile Stretch of Highway Hits $40
I-66 drivers call it 'highway robbery'
- Take the "dynamic pricing" model of shifting prices in response to demand (think Uber's surge pricing), add it to the new express lanes on Interstate 66, and the result earlier this week was a $40 toll to travel a 10-mile stretch into downtown Washington, DC. The price changes...
This Is America's Most
in case you missed it
Nov 18, 2017 12:14 PM CST
This Is America's Most Dangerous Highway
3 of the worst 5 are in Florida
- Sorry, Florida drivers. Teletrac Navman is out with its list of the 25 most dangerous highways in the US, and three of the five worst are in the Sunshine State, Click Orlando reports. The absolute worst? Florida's Interstate 4, which is just 132 miles long—it connects Tampa, Orlando,...
Tragedy for Good Samaritan
Twins Who Tried to Help Driver
Nov 14, 2017 8:23 AM CST
Tragedy for Good Samaritan Twins Who Tried to Help Driver
25-year-old Marcasia Crenshaw was struck by passing truck; sister Markwonda escaped in time
- One sister ran one way, the second sister ran the other—and now one is dead after the women stopped to help a stranded motorist on a Florida highway. The
reports 25-year-old Marcasia Crenshaw and her twin, Markwonda Crenshaw, were driving back to Boynton Beach on Sunday night...
Teens' Actions 'Not a Prank.
It's Second-Degree Murder'
Oct 24, 2017 2:35 AM CDT
Teens' Actions 'Not a Prank. It's Second-Degree Murder'
Michigan teens have been charged after rocks thrown from highway overpass
- Police in Michigan say prosecutors are "throwing the book" at five teenagers accused of throwing a rock from a highway overpass, killing a construction worker who was on his way home to his fiancee and their 5-year-old son. Kyle Anger, 17; Mark Sekelsky, 16; Mikadyn Payne, 16; Alexzander Miller,...
Crew Had One Job...
Sep 26, 2017 11:36 AM CDT
Alaskan Road-Painting Crew Had One Job...
'Something was clearly wrong with the equipment'
- New yellow painted highway lines in the Alaska Panhandle city of Ketchikan are crooked, and the paint that's been used by state transportation officials has stained cars, officials say. Among those affected was Ketchikan Gateway Borough Mayor David Landis, whose car ended up with yellow paint on it. "...
Highway Buckles, Sends
Apr 18, 2017 1:43 AM CDT
Highway Buckles, Sends Motorcyclist Flying
Atlanta man hospitalized with multiple fractures
- Another major highway through Atlanta was partially shut down on Monday, this one after underground utility work caused the pavement to rise up, break apart, and send a passing motorcyclist flying through the air. While the east-west highway could reopen as soon as Tuesday, the rupture was another headache for...
Police Make Arrests, Say
Atlanta Highway Fire
Apr 1, 2017 6:24 AM CDT
Police Make Arrests, Say Atlanta Highway Fire Was Intentional
Homeless man accused of starting blaze under I-85
- Two men and one woman have been arrested in connection with a massive fire that could leave traffic in Atlanta snarled for months. Basil Eleby, the man believed to have intentionally started a blaze that caused an overpass on Interstate 85 to collapse, was booked on suspicion of first-degree criminal...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.